Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Yah I think alot of this talk about only having 50-60m to spend is the new owners way of trying to insulate themselves from getting ripped off in the summer from clubs thinking we've money to burn. Paqueta would be an ideal signing & would heavily compliment Bruno & Joelinton in midfield. Nailing target down & a decent striker have to be priorities too, after that, its anyones guess I suppose. Id be very surprised if we dont end up spending 150m or so in the summer.

News today that St.Maxim is going anywhere now, doesnt seem to be much interest in him at 50m unsurprisingly. Hopefully with a pre-season under Howe & an improvement in his attitude now theres zero interest will see him improve next season. Theres the makings of a good player in there, just needs to pull his head out of his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Would love to see Eriksen come to us. He's a great player in fairness and proved he was well capable of mucking in at the lower end of the table while other players could have been deluding themselves into holding out for a bigger club. That's the attitude we want in our players....someone who will come in and fight for the team.

ASM I'm in 2 minds about..before Xmas he was the big fish in the little pond but that's not the case anymore. His reactions to it haven't been the best but hopefully he puts the head down and cops himself on. If not better to sell him and move on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Seems we're after this Lodi full back from Atletico too.

Personally i'd prefer to keep Targett at 15/20 million. Guy has been rock solid and played a huge part in us having one of the best defences in the second half of the season. His set piece delivery has also been excellent.

Getting Ericksen for nothing & Targett for 15m would be a phenomenal start to our transfer business. Cant go wrong really with either. Plenty of talk about Targett being a good bloke & influence in the dressing room as well. Id much rather him over a foreign defender we know little to nothing about & hasnt any experience in playing in the PL. I wonder is Trippier recommending this guy Lodi, possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Supposedly Targett deal isn't happening, Fulham are interested now, it's a shame I hope it does.

Never heard of Lodi but he has played with Tripp and Bruno

If we could get Targett, Eriksen, paqueta and Tarkowski in for less than 70m that is good business for me.

Regarding the ASM thing supposedly he has the hump over wages but I thought he would be one of the higher paid players when he signed a long term contract.

Read today Wilson is moving his family closer to Newcastle (its a 700 mile round trip), If he stays fit and starts the season well he could push for a world cup England spot, he is a smashing finisher and Bruno paqueta and Eriksen can easily find him.

• Advertisement

Disappointing if that's true about Targett, if the club dont go for him at 15m, its hard to understand that logic. Felt the only games he struggled a bit were against City & Liverpool but that goes for 90% of other defenders in the league.

That would be great business with those players. Tarkowski is an interesting one, hasnt covered himself in glory over the last few months or even year but he'd be a solid back up to Schar & Burn along with Lascalles. Ericksen would be a no brainer especially on a free, Paqueta definitely and the fact his friend Bruno is here might get that one over the line.

If St.Maxim has got the hump over wages, id happily let him go for 40/35m instead, he's shown himself up to be a right diva in the last few months.

Was shocked to read that about Wilson, he even admitted the travelling may have contributed to his injuries, nuts that wasnt nipped in the bud much sooner. Really good though hes keen on getting in the England squad for the WC, hopefully we'll see him proper motivated in August.

So Diego Carlos who we offered 30m for in January (seville wanted 38m) is now going to Villa for 25m.

They are also in talks with Tarkowski.

If this is the case on the 2 above, can another Botman bid tempt him? maybe prove more difficult that AC won the league

We need a Marquee signing I think Paqueta will be done, the lure of Premier league and Bruno will convince him.

Also someone like Nkunku off Leipzig could light a spark up ASM arse, those two on their day would terrorize any full backs.

I think champions league was a factor in them not accepting our offers for Carlos in January, they wanted to achieve that & have done so now. He's that bit older now too. Id still take him in a heartbeat over Tarkowski or some of the other defenders we're being linked with though. Would be fantastic to see him, Schar & Burn competing for the two centrial defender positions, maybe bring a youth player through in that position & say adios to Lascalles.

I agree with the marquee signing, Paqueta would be absolutely ideal & strengthen us considerably in the centre of the pitch, imagine a midfield three of him, Bruno & Joelinton, with Longstaff, Willock & Elliot competing to get in the side, ideal.

I think who we move on though this summer is as important as who we bring in. Theres alot of deadweight left over from the Ashley/Bruce era. Id be happy to see the back of

Chris Wood (I know its unlikely considering how recently we bought him)

Shelvey (If we want to break into the top six, top 8 even, I dont think he's good enough, wonderful passer of the ball on his day but doesnt do enough running/legwork, is temperamental & gets sent off over stupid things, too inconsistent in his form)

Darlow (Not good enough to provide serious competition to Dubravka)

Manquillo (I think Krafth slightly edges it in providing better competition for Trippier in the right back position)

Matt Ritchie (Obvious reasons)

Isaac Hayden (Hasnt had a look in & we're strong enough already in the centre of the pitch without him)

Ciaran Clarke (Obvious reasons, shouldnt be playing PL level football)

Federico Fernandes (A good pro but 33 now & unlikely to get in the side)

Dwight Gayle (Obvious reasons)

Janal Lewis (Dummett just signed a new contract & Howe seems to be rate him more highly, Dummetts versatility maybe got him the nod, you never know when he'll be needed at CB)

Lascalles (I could take or leave him, if we fail to get a quality centre back in the summer, I wouldnt be against keeping him as backup, but as it stands, he's 3rd choice & likely to be 4th choice if we get a player in the mould of Botsman or Carlos, in that fouth spot should be an up & coming youth prospect ideally, possibly Charlie Wiggett or Remi Savage)

Thats possibly eleven players out the door this summer, would free up a huge amount in wages & add significantly to the transfer budget. Hopefully work is underway already to move them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Who is the midfielder Elliot you are mentioning as a good player to have?

Should be using his second name, Elliot Anderson. I've read a number of reports about him, 19 years of age and meant to be top quality & already being compared to Gazza (obviously take that with a spinch of salt), but hes played 21 games with Bristol & scored 8 goals, not bad. One for the future no doubt and could learn from our better midfielders. A relatively local lad also which is important for us

We're being heavily linked with Jonathan David now. 15 goals this season with Lille, has won ligue 1 already. The more winners in the squad the better. Versatile, can play as an out & out striker or just behind. 22 so young enough to grow, 50m is the figure being touted. Id be delighted if we got him to provide more competition up front. Getting him in the door might help our chances with Botsman who's at lille aswell. Would be fantastic to snap the two of them up.

• Advertisement

Although our chances are slim on Botman, reports say we actually have a chance.

If we are to go for him acting fast is the main thing, put the first bid in straight away and make him think

I'd agree with the above players to go, although I would keep Hayden, he is an out-and-out DM and can be useful if we are trying to hold onto the game. He also didnt get into the January 25 man squad because he was injured and only fit the past few weeks.

Regarding Anderson, he is meant to be a decent talent and Barton speaks really highly off him, but I wouldn't trust him in this quick, it was League 2 where he did the above, id rather see him another year on loan maybe in a championship team.

Our previous players we thought were ready we threw in too quick and then dumped them (Adam Armstrong and Ivan Toney) come to mind.

id love to prize ward-prowse away from southampton but him being english it would be 65m + (not that it matters to us)

regarding Marquee mercenary's that each new found wealthy club seems to purchase because the onwner has actually heard of the player

(the likes of Robinho for City or Shevchenko for chelsea)

I was thinking watching the champions league final...for us... would you take the likes of bale or Hazard?

On an Irish side of things Oisin Mcentee who plays for the reserves (was on loan this season) and Ireland U21 ha been released ( gone to Wallsall)

Sadly I think this will be the last Irish person to be on our books for a very long time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ye have just signed Alex Murphy from us (Galway Utd) to your academy.

Yah it would be fantastic to get Botsmann in the end. Both Dan Burn & Fabian Schar are 30 so itd be nice to have someone who could be at the centre of our defence for 10+ years and we could gradually build the defence around.

Yah I think if Anderson isnt going to be promoted to the first team, I can see them keeping Hayden. Out of anyone in the centre of the midfield, I expect Shelvey to go & I still think we could get a good price for him.

Hazard or Bale would be a disaster imo, they would be purely doing it for the money and could cause unrest or indiscipline in the dressing room if they came. If we are going to go for a marquee signing, I think we should go for someone up in coming with a point to prove. Paqueta would be perfect in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Marca reporting we are readying a bid for Lodi.

Just seen a report that terms have been agreed with Brighton for compensation so Dan Ashworth can become the new sporting director for Newcastle. Only seen positive comments on his experience to date so hopefully this will make the rest of the summer recruitment go a bit more smoothly.

Also the young French striker that failed to get over the line in a £25million deal in January Hugo Ekitke has been told by Reims he can leave and offers over 20million euro would be considered. At 19years old 10 goals in his first season with them could indicate some potential.

2 Friendlies announced: Atalanta 29th July and Bilboa 30th July (both at St. James)

Good to see friendlies v decent competition happening compared to the usual Scottish and league one sides although 2 games in 24 hours will see a split in our side across the 2 games

We are also trying to poach the head of Man Citys youth recruitment .

Discussions underway with Ekitike of Reims according to reports. Deal likely to come to 30m overall. I wouldnt be unhappy with that. As has been discussed already, he did very well this season at Reims. Huge potential. And I think a worthy back up to Wilson where he'll be competing with Wood for that spot no doubt.

We dodged a serious bullet here a leveraged takeover. This would have been just fine with all the self righteous sports journos Delaney Holt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

The Geordie boys beating off competition from Dortmund for players Christ I could get used to that!

• Advertisement

Botman deal still isn't dead, although far away there is still a possibility.

Although id like an established striker, if we can get Ekitike, Botman, Paqueta, Henderson, Targett (or similar) id be happy this summer

They are strong signings in each position

Isaac Hayden goes to Norwich on loan with an obligation to buy if they get promoted. I'm genuinely sad to see him go a good lad who always gave 100% and seemed to really care and an extremely versatile player who covered RB and CB for the team when needed.

He always showed his character when he stuck with the club even when his daughter was seriously ill in hospital in Southampton a great signing for Norwich and I genuinely wish him all the best he'll get a great reception when he comes back to play at SJP and rightly so.

It's being reported that Ashworth has vetoed any move for Dean Henderson and has moved to make Matty Targett our first signing for 12 million which is an absolute steal really. It is also being reported that Ekitike will be a loan with an obligation to buy for €31 million and this is for FFP reasons.

Smart moves from him so far if true. I think with Ekitike being so young, completely untested in the PL, its a good move to see if he'll settle here & realise his potential. 12m for Targett is a no brainer. Dean Henderson, I'd be happy for us to miss out on him.

Hayden was a super professional, carried himself well, still thought there was a place for him for one more year ahead of the likes of shelvey,longstaff,hendrick etc but again his professionalism and pride shows he wants first team football, its a good move for him and Norwich.

12m for Targett is a no brainer

Apologies, Ekitike is being signed with an obligation to buy, would prefer a straight loan option with an option to buy instead but it is what it is. If Wood, Wilson & him are our striker options for next year, its a concern. Wilson no doubt is good enough to lead to line against the majority of teams but is far too injury prone especially over the last few seasons, & its been getting worse. Also, against the top 6/8 opposition, I dont know if he himself is good enough.

I hope with us being frugal up front, signing targett for 12m means we are going to seriously strengthen other parts of the team. Paqueta, Botsman, & a good keeper to compete with Dubrakva would be ideal. No doubt though, we need to move on a lot of players this summer & hopefully Ashworth will show his worth in this regard. The last thing we need hanging around is disillusioned players.

The problem is the wages, these players are championship players but will get nowhere near what they are on now.

The likes of Clarke/Fernandez, are at the end of their careers and have a year left, so unless there is a pay off they will be happy not getting into the 25-man squad. Sure Clarke rejected a loan to Boro in January ( they are only down the road for god sake!!)

Others like Gayle and Ritchie still have a bit to offer but again at championship level (unless someone like Bournemouth takes Ritchie back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah there's 2 factors killing us in the transfer market this summer 1. The surplus to requirements players who are contracted till 2023 or 2024 Clark Fernandez Dummett Hendrick Gayle Ritchie all on big money its going to be very hard to shift them although no doubt Ashworth is working on it tbh we;ll have to pay the majority of wages to shift them on loans I'd say and 2. We're stuck with Fun88 for another year so we can't get the megabucks in for Saudi sponsers till next year when we've negotiated a break form Fun88.

Yah I agree with both posts above, I think the reality is that we'll have to at least pay part of the wages to move a number of the players on. It is what it is I guess but I still think its a much better option than having them around the club potentially poisoning the good atmosphere at the moment.

I did hear rumours we're trying to get out of the deal with Fun88 this summer so itll be interesting to see what happens in that regard too. Would be fantastic if we somehow managed to as a year is a long time in football. If we come close to or manage to get into the top 6 next season provided we get a few good players in over the summer, it will represent significant progress & show that Saudis are well ahead with their current plans. Would take us up a notch in the type of player we could bring in next summer aswell.

• Advertisement

I doubt we will get out of FUN88, unless it's a mega payout, and betting places won't accept anything less as they don't need it.

Might make it even harder as the new home jersey (with FUN88 printed on them) go on presale today.

I would be very surprised to break top 7 this year, if we do its well above our/my expectations. this year it wasn't a great season for everyone bar the top 2 so it made us look closer than we think (56 got 7th this year, in comparison Leeds & Everton the year before got 59 and finished 9th & 10th). it would take 60 points to get 7th this year id reckon.

Top 10 in the league and a quarter final (praying for a semi final) in both cups is a step in the right direction for me

We've negotiated out of the FUN88 deal but not till next summer.

A cup run and a go at the European spots is what I'd like to see if we get 7th and EC great if not top 10 should be a must.

One thing that could really help us at the beginning of next season is a number of the players we have are looking to break into their international sides or cement their places before the WC in December.

Trippier, Wilson, Targett, Bruno, Saint Maxim (long shot I know), Schar, Joelinton (again long shot) to name a number of them. Thats 7 of our first team that have an added incentive to do the business early on for us next season. Could really help us get up the table.

Thats not even talking about the players we may sign, Paqueta, Botman, M.Diaby. If we go for it this summer and get the signings right, we could nearly have a first eleven more determined than ever. Would be great to see.

Looks like we are being screwed around on both Ekitike and Botman deals.

Fixtures announced

Broke up nicely, in terms of tough months May looks like it for now, but hopefully, it won't be like previous years and we are home and dry by then.... or maybe fighting for something higher up the table!

• Advertisement

Must be someone thinking the same way. There are reports he is on the verge of signing. Great shot stopper to bring in if the deal goes through.

Yeah I saw that earlier alright I think he'd be a great addition.

10m is a decent piece of business for an England capped player.

After this we really need to focus higher up the pitch, Striker, right sided attacking player

We have proved defensively we are capable, its goal scoring we need, especially a striker who can fill in for Wilson as he hasn't completed a season for us yet

Absolutely we need 4 ready to go starting players striker CM Right sided attacker and Centre Back if we get that we'll be a real force next season.

Seemingly we've pulled out of the Ekitike deal agent was looking for extra payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

Time to move on from Botman & Ekitike deals ( I’d still be happy if we sign both) , too much time been wasted on these two , window for other players will start getting smaller with other clubs picking up potential targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

botman deal now apparently agreed, let's see if anything happens about it early this week

Botman to do the medical today nice bit of business now we can hopefully go all out out for the midfielder and forward we need. I'd love either Eriksen or Neves as midfielder and as forward player either Sarr Diaby or Omishen. Anyone else have any thoughts on who we should go after?

Just browsing transfer rumour rubbish recently and saw an article not linking a player to Newcastle but saying that Arsenal are likely to be trying to sell Lucas Torreira. Only saw him in limited amounts in game highlights but he seems to be well cut out for the defensive midfield holding position which could see Guimaraes and Joelinton push on a bit more often. He had a full season loan in Seria A with Fiorentina scoring 5 goals and played for Athleticl Madrid on loan before that so has the top level experience to hopefully shore up the defensive side of Newcastle's game. The wikipedia page on him says there was a buy option in his last loan of £13mill so it might be possible to get him in relatively cheaply and at 26years old he should be in the prime of his playing abilities.

Eriksen would be a great signing but rumours are about that he could be going to Manchester United.

With the Botman deal hopefully done, I do feel as fans for a fella most of us have never seen him, he is being treated as the next Jaap stam I just hope he can handle the pressure

regarding the rest of the transfer window, it's still only June so clearing out the deadwood needs to start.

Iv previously heard 60-70m was the budget so not much might be left, so we may dip into the loan market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

Great Signing (Botman) glad we got this one over the line. Virgil Van Dijk has been singing his praises , saying Newcastle have signed one hell of a player.

Yes Jap Stam also praising him as well hopefully they are right.

It's going to be a nightmare getting general sale tickets from here out.

Memberships go on sale today and reports are saying any chance of getting tickets (if not a season holder) is through a membership.

I'd say the stadium needs an expansion of another 55k to keep up with demand!

Yeah i bought a membership today was in the queue for over an hour needs must though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

with the botman deal, why has he been pictured holding a nufc shirt at St James but it advises a deal agreed in principle, so technically he's not signed sealed yet?

don't think I've seen it before

• Advertisement
Advertisement