Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You would think that in terms of the constituent Airlines of the group, it makes sense to keep each brand fairly type homogenous, if for no other reason due to legacy maintenance and support operations.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

And they are doing just that now as well, there is now a Lauda base in Stansted this summer which sees Airbus aircraft operating routes for Ryanair out of Stansted by moving planes around from other countries.

Obviously this allows them to tap into the Airbus pilot market in countries as well as the Boeing.

It's a vote of confidence anyway for the Max, especially the variants that IAG have ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aeroplane maker posts 4 Billion dollar loss three years in a row, so must sell plane with blackened name for a song. They could well be losing on each one, just to keep the factories together and ride the dip. Hardly a vote of confidence, just a deal too good for IAG to refuse right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The one real risk for operators like Ryanair that are going single type is the consequences of a directive from FAA, EASA or CAA, or another regulator that ends up grounding the entire fleet as a result of a major issue.

If Ryanair had been further down the road of introducing the MAX before the MCAS problems were discovered, the effect on their operation could have been very different, and the relevant regulators were not about to fudge the issue to get the aircraft back in the air any sooner once it became clear just how serious it was.

Fortunately, there have been very few worldwide fleet groundings, and most groundings have been relatively short term, the issue with the MAX was a game changer in too many ways, as it exposed some serious weaknesses in the procedures and critical decision making processes in both the manufacturer and the regulators.

Boeing are a long way from being off the hook, I suspect that the price IAG have paid for their order is a long way off the "list" price, keeping the show on the road has become increasingly challenging for Boeing, and (hopefully) things like certification grand father rights will be revised to ensure that there are no short cuts for future models.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No doubt IAG got a very very good price.

There is a game afoot here as the Airbus negotiating team has the advantage when you have several hundred A32x already. Splitting fleet orders with Boeing will likely get IAG a better position with Airbus for next order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Looks like the first A320neo is very close to delivery, seen parked at the delivery centre today wearing its new EI-NSB registration but still in full Smartavia colours. Possibly means no repaint for the time being let alone a cabin refit!

These aircraft were fitted with 188 seats for Smartavia! A very tight squeeze, even for IAG standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

It might be the case that the airframe will be delivered 'as is' and used for training flights to familiarise crew with the characteristics of this new variant.

During that time it may be repainted and have seats removed/adjusted to better match EIs 174 seat base (just to make it easier on the IT boarding system for the small subfleet)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

There is no training required for the A320NEO that involves the use of the aircraft.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Probably easier for EI to accept it into service and keep on particular route (EG. DUB-LHR for the reduced landing fees)

They can adjust the booking capacity (as they used to do with the 320/321 mix)

Any change in cabin config will only take place in Jan/Feb during their annual maintainance period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have bad memories of the cramped ex-Iberia A319s.

I guess that's the way the world is going though.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

A config of 180 would be ideal, with slimline seats it would be spacious enough and wouldn’t have the same issues BA has with legroom down the back due to their varying seat pitch up front. Realistically it’ll be 186 which is seen on Iberia and Vueling, not exactly comfortable but it is the new standard.

The 188 config is essentially the ULCC layout, wouldn’t be in keeping with other IAG carriers so hopefully it’s revised down to a more realistic 186 or 180 as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Vuelings seat pitch is terrible , I actively seek out other carriers if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭sailing

They may well leave it as is. Does the max not have more seats on the Boeing than the 800 series?

With fuel being so expensive they may just go with keeping large numbers of seats, especially if they are the newer slimline type to maximise potential revenue.

The leap engine on the NEO and the Max is a game changer for many airlines and has come about at just the right time with these high fuel prices. They are extremely efficient when flown at slower speeds. Most airlines are now flying slower these days to save fuel.

EI-NSB was ‘delivered’ today but flown to Ostrava, Czechia. Aer Lingus has previously had aircraft repainted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ostrava did the 'conversions' on the ex Aerflot A320's so chance the interiors gets done also

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

It'll be very interesting to see what the layout/styling is, as one might assume it'll be EIs new SH product for the next period. Will it be the two tone Grey's as in economy of the a321lr or the blue leather of the current a320ceos... Or just a paint job. I love the LRs seat style... Looks and Feels EI Brand.

The A321LR cabin is indeed very nice, the styling is simple but looks smart with the green trim in economy. The head rest covers are a little on the cheap side but I like the colour they add. I’d like the A330s follow this styling eventually.

As for the A320neo cabin, I think the continuation of blue leather is likely. The beige/grey on IB/VY can look grubby very quickly and the black is probably reserved for BA. Maybe EI will add some colour via new headrest covers for short haul but I’d say that’s unlikely.

Proper mood lighting, USB ports, power outlets and WiFi will be the things to look out for, they’re considered standard these days so to not include them on a new aircraft type would be a missed opportunity in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

I think SmartAvia aircraft have plain navy leather or imitation leather seats as is so there might not be much to change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

What’s bizarre is crew in EI have no idea about these new aircraft, there’s been no formal notice and no sign of “differences training” required for new variants entering the fleet.

Definitely bizarre unless the aircraft won’t be entering service for quite some time and this is more of an accounting move for the time being. I’m guessing they got an absolute bargain from the lessor and wanted to get the aircraft on the books as soon as possible, dealing with everything else at a later date.

There’s never actually been an official announcement or media release from Aer Lingus about this order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yep well according to staff there’s been no notice of anything so I can’t see entry into service anytime soon.

There’s still crew who aren’t trained on the 321neo, the target for their training is “the end of the year” never mind another new variant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I've heard that there are two A320neos due to enter service in July. They are apparently going to be configured with 186 Recaro seats. This is the IAG order I believe. I haven't heard anything about the extra neos from Smartavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Difference in the training will be a 5-10 minute video presentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Anyone know if EI will continue TA to JFK and BOS for the winter from SNN? You can book it but can’t book other cities after Oct 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

I tried to book JFK from SNN for January ‘23 a few weeks but only options offered at the time were via BOS

That would be normal. JFK goes on a break between Jan-Feb. Happened Pre COVID as well.

Itll resume 26/02/2023 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

So BOS is the only year round US route ex SNN?

Interesting to see if AA & DL come back for Summer 23, I imagine AA is contingent on getting the XLR delivered next year as the B788 seems like way too much aircraft for that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Seems that way. I’m not certain, but don’t know that it was always BOS that prevailed in the quiet Jan/Feb weeks - have a recollection that JFK was retained one year; and also possibly that SNN cabin crew sometimes used to be ground transferred between BOS & JFK in thin times.

AA blamed 788 delivery delays for the lack of PHL/SNN this year, but agree with you that that’s quite a big plane to fill. They have a load of 737Max8s, some used on international mid-haul routes in Central America. I wonder would one of these manage the SNN summer route?

Have to go to the US fairly regularly and will always try to support my local SNN offerings where feasible. Would love to see greater interlining and frequent flier coordination/offering between EI and AA/Oneworld on routes out of Shannon…

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

There’s something like 40 787s waiting to be delivered to AA. The FAA have halted new 787 deliveries for about 18 months now. AA retired their 757s, 767s and A330s during COVID so it is hitting them hard.

To get their Max on the NAT they’s need to be outfitted with CPDLC etc, which I heard costs around $2 million per airframe. No point when they have XLRs on order to operate niche/seasonal routes like SNN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

American Airlines 787-8 is quite low in seat density with 234 seats, so they might manage them for Shannon. It’s only 50 seats more than EI A321NEOLR

Advertisement