Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stormont Election 2022

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 2 Independents are unionists, which is where the 37 comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

PBP are under the 'other' designation along with Aliance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Building work at Geneva Airport in 1960 saw a change in the Swiss/French border, through an exchange of territory.

This was a pure technicality and is pretty irrelevant to your general point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Actually, not, it may be just a historical anomaly, but the bad blood between Ireland and the UK has meant that the Border Commission never got going, and leading to the situation whereby the border has remained completely unchanged, in comparison to other countries where technical adjustments are often made and more fundamental changes occurred at other times. San Marino and Andorra would be older, but hard to find a member of the EU with a border as fixed as ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

There's EU countries the other side of the San Marino and Andorra borders, not like they exist alone.

While your assertion about longevity of borders is factually wrong and of dubious significance anyway, NI does hold a rare status of being one of the only borders in Europe where there's serious discussion held as to whether it will even exist in a few years time.

I don't know about that. Schengen developments may see other borders disappear much more quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

No matter how deep Schengen integration gets (and if anything that integration has slowed in recent years), the actual borders won't change.

You're just making stuff up at this point to try and make it look like the NI border has some magical unchangeable property to it.

I am not making things up. I have produced evidence and facts in relation to other borders, it seems that only Andorra and San Marino borders are older in terms of change. Some of the changes may only be technical, others may be more fundamental arising from WW2 and the fall of the Berlin Wall, but none of that changes the fact that it is among the oldest unchanged borders in Europe.

You may hold the opinion that it is unremarkable, but you can't change the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah I'm not sure how the conversation ended up down this detour about how long borders last but unlike other countries, there is a clearly defined pathway for removing the border in Ireland that has been agreed by all of the relevant parties and set in an international agreement for a generation. You can certainly argue about whether or not we go down that pathway but the fact that it even exists shows that there's nothing set in stone about that border.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure either how this segue got to where it has got either; there is nothing especially remarkable or indeed permanent about the NI border that might make a merger of the two countries especially problematic along the border. It was a totally artificial construct in the first place. Were a UI to happen spontaneously tomorrow, very little would change along the border beyond some obvious changes like the switch of road speeds to KMs, and maybe a few outlier cases. The N54 would, presumably, no longer suddenly become the A3 for a KM or two anway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This artificial 'border' has to go. It divides communities and relatives from each other. The main obstacle is if Dublin can afford to give ni-ers the same level of financial help , free GPs , hospital etc, bins etc.Dublin privatised all the health care in the south because they didn't want , or couldn't afford, to pay for it . Or an ideological plan by FF.

That is the major issue , but go it must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

So as far as I can see there is nothing in the Queen (or Charlies) speech proposing legislation which disapplies or removes the NIP or giving power to ministers to do so. Where does that leave the DUP? Have they once again been duped into believing BoJo (or Frosty or Truss etc) was going to get them out of the corner they painted themselves into on the NIP but have once again been let down because when push comes to shove tory threats to unilaterally break the WA are nothing more than hot air designed to pander to the ERG/DUP et all without there ever being any intent to follow through as BoJo and co know that doing so would trigger a set of events which would make a very bad situation even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

For those saying unionism didn’t try to sweep Sinn Fein by pushing a unity vote. They did and they failed. This is just one of the bitter shite they’ve hung in the shankill mocking Pat Finucane to incite unionism support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Sad to see Leo leader of Fine Gael the party which at its foundation considered calling itself the "United Ireland Party" portraying with glee a reduction in the overall Nationalist representation?

The John Bruton doctrine of being neutral regarding the north is sadly alive and well!

SDLP, what do they stand for anymore. Like the Shinners some very anti-catholic rhetoric ironically from some of their candidates?

Maybe FG and FF and SDLP should all merge! yeah like that would happen.

The Shinner's jackboots will kick you into line (or out) if you verge from the partys central command line!

You were bemoaning the fact that there are no nationalist MLA's east of the Bann the other day. Judging from the above post it doesn't sound like you have any time for those parties yourself. Perhaps the voters there simply share your own opinion of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I was moaning about constituencies with no Nationalist MLA's, and that Nationalism lost MLA's and I blame the SF/SDLP for alienating many nationalists, and I blame FF (since FG seems to support alliance now) for not organising in the North not the alliance with SDLP which I am sure nobody noticed!

Alot of Nationalist simply forgot to vote SDLP further down, the only focus was on returning a Nationalist majority. Which meant SF.

If they gave the SF candidates higher preferences than the SDLP candidates then there's an extremely high chance that their ballot never got near the SDLP candidate - it most likely was sitting in an elected SF candidate's pile at the end of the counting.

True enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Charrychar

This all just seems wishful thinking, we’ve been looking at Sinn Fein every election North and south making similar excuses to how they got so many votes.

The amount of votes Sinn Fein got is barely any different to their previous elections, people have been forgetting to vote SDLP for the last 25 years not just this election. There needs to be real steps taken to quell the rise of SF and not just these lame excuses every election Sinn Fein have trying to claim it was just a fluke. If we don’t accept reality then we will never be able to do with the problem.

Last election in the Republic they got 24 percent of the vote and everyone was saying it was a fluke, the same thing was said the election before that. SF are currently polling around 35% of the vote now in the republic and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they got over 40% of the vote by the time the next election comes around especially with their history of always doing better than the polls suggest.

This country is finished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Donaldson resigned from his MLA seat, despite IIRC repeatedly saying he wouldn't (open to correction).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Little-Pengelly (should look up her father if you've never heard of him, didn't realise who he was until today) will hand the seat back if he ever decides he wants it; and DUP voters won't punish him for the stunt like virtually any other parties voters would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

Her father is Noel, was QM of ulster resistance. And yet people slate MOn cause her father is a Doris

DUP also confirming they will not elect a Speaker, thus confirming the Executive will be a dead entity for the time being. Not much else can be said about the DUP, or the Tories they're sucking up to, but it's still depressing to see these things happen in real time. Maybe Westminster can pass more socially progressive laws in Stormants stead,; that'll focus the DUP lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Once again the DUP are prepared to be BoJo's useful fools. He desperately needs the perpetual bun fight with the EU to distract from his domestic car crash and right now the DUP will facilitate that.

If BoJo somehow gets turfed out or he manages to turn the domestic situation around satisfactorily the action he's (only yet) proposing to legislate for disapplying the NIP etc will be shelved and/or he of his successor will take the bones of a deal the EU has already offered, put some lipstick on it and call it a win.

Either way IMHO there's a 90% chance that within a year the DUP will once again find itself cast aside like a used condom.

• Advertisement

Clears the way for the DUP to nominate a Deputy First Minister in time, as it won't be the party leader and they can downgrade the status of First Minister posts to their constituency. Not a bit surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The pay and conditions are much better in Westminster than in Stormont. You meet a better class of right tosser winger there. They have much bigger flegs there as well, and more pictures of the Monarch all over the place.

Why can't Stormont be like that?

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Donaldson has just bet everything on Johnson doing something, after Johnson has let them down every time previous. They never learn.

If Boris shirks it due to EU pressure or US pressure then Jeffrey is going to be left standing there, member in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

On BBC DUP emphasize that not a single elected Unionist supported the NIP. Yet 9 Unionists (the UUP) are prepared to attend and work the Assembly.

Sammy Wilson struggled under questioning by Jo Coburn on 'Politics' on Thurs.

Well, who could have predicted eh. Boris Johnson flips and decides they won't scrap the Protocol after all. I do find the insider comment about having "tough messages" for NI leaders infuriating given its only one party holding up the show, and it's their useful idiots. If you hadn't backed their nonsense Johnson we wouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Oh dear, Kermit has it wrong again.

UK has backed down on their threats to the NI Protocol - yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hes got a worse record than a stopped clock at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some reports suggest he's backing down, while others have him doubling down:

Does Johnson even know what he wants to do, or is he making this up as he goes along? Guess we'll find out shortly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's Boris; he's always making it up as he goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh my. Kay has landed in the the NFTG zone.

She really just kept at it. Seems she was rattled from that criticism a few years back about her lack of knowledge of Ireland.

What is still amazing is how Unionists and their apologists still don't seem to understand why the NIP even exists at this stage. It's mindnumbing at this point.

The UK Gov mouthpieces keep saying that the NI Protocol is not working.

OK, in what way is the NI Protocol not working that is outside the UK Gov control?

How far has the UK Gov gone to implement the NI Protocol? Have they set up the required infrastructure and put in place the required personnel inc vets and customs? Have they got the support information for those GB companies that export to NI exactly what the Protocol requires and what paperwork and certification is required?

Hmmm, I thought not.

Why do the UK media not ask these questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its infuriating isn't it? The line that it isn't working is just accepted and the debate moves to what to do to fix it. Instead, as you point out, a review of what isn't working, why it isn't working and what will fixing it actually achieve.

But then everyone knows that not working really means it is politically difficult for Johnson and thus needs to be changed. They don't know what is wrong, apart from the DUP not being happy, and have no idea how to fix it.

The DUP not being happy is such a new phenomenon that it surprising.

Oh wait, was it not the DUP that refused to back the Good Friday agreement? Was it not the DUP that refused to enter power sharing? Has the DUP ever said anything but 'NO!'

Have the Tories ever made a proposal to the EU that moves the NI Protocol issue forward?

Well, there is a signpost with a red flag atop for the EU.

First Abortion, now the Irish Language. These DUP politicians are so inept I'd laugh harder' only for the fact I applaud this latest direct intervention from Westminster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Advertisement

I can't decide whether I want to watch or not; QTs habit of shill audience members means I'd worry this becomes an anti Protocol screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Charrychar

Hilarious now to see the shinners thinking they are all that because they won this election. It doesn’t matter who wins the bloody election at the end of the day Boris Johnson still runs the show.

The civilized people here in the republic will never accept a SF government, Sinn Fein is filled with crooks and criminals and always has been, always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

So if SF win enough seats and form a govt, you won't accept it. Ttat's democracy which civilised people respect, you obviously don't

So did anyone watch the QT then? And if so, how did it go, dare I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Sinn Fein nearly won the last election by the 'civilized' people in the Republic.

How did they nearly win an election with only 24.5% of the vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭maccored

one party taking a quarter of the vote is classed as 'only'?

There are some clips on Twitter; as has been the case recently, Naomi Long acquitted herself the best, while SF seemed pegged with the inevitable Border Poll question. The Tories were hammered over the cynical Windfall Tax introduced as a Look Over There after the Sue Gray report. I'll be honest I was too chicken to watch the DUP reps comments cos I knew she'd get a free run at things. Would be delighted to be wrong there.

• Advertisement

I'm watching it now. Skipped over the energy windfall part. Now we're into the protocol. Of course the DUP plant in the audience was apoplectic about the protocol. Leading ELP to go off on one. Robert Buckland also seemingly forgot his government signed up to it. In other words, no surprise.

Advertisement