Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Alcohol for 17yo Daughter.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's still something that could easily could find itself its way into punch along with other donations of spirits. That has all the makings of trouble as that stuff can be more lethal because you have no idea what's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

i know I said earlier that you are better buying it for them rather than them getting it from someonone else and potentially adulterated or mixed. As people are saying what happens and will you be partly liable if someone else gets so bad off it then end up in hospital and then it will look like you supplied the drink to them.

What might actually be a cuter move is to refuse her the spirits and let her drink someone elses. That way if she gets in trouble from it you are in a stonger position to lay the blame at the feet of whoever gave her the drink and their parents.

Either way, I does'nt make a difference whether you buy or drink or not. She is going to get drink one way or the other and she will drink, most likely in excessive amounts.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Problem there is that while you might be ok and trust here to drink repsosibly, other parents might not. And I'd imagine your daughter going to share it with her friends and chances are one of them is going to have too much of it, get wasted, have their parents find out, resulting in said angry parents screaming at you for supplying alcohol to an underage party.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

Show her 2 pictures, one a six pack of beer, and the other a pic of her bedroom door,, Let here choose one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Deal here is I supply the drink, usually a couple of cans of orchard thieves and I collect her from where ever she's going. She also has to text me every do often to let me know she's ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

In an ideal world everyone would wait until they were 18.

She's more than likely going to get drink from somewhere if she's going to this party. I certainly wouldn't be getting her a full bottle of spirits though. As others have said. A few spritzers or alcopops.

And definitely collect her from the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair play to you and your daughter for having the discussion. That's positive. And leaving aside the legal aspect of whether she's under 18.

That much rum is far too much. She'll either drink it all, drink some and leave the rest or share it with friends.

Is she under any social pressure to bring drink for her friends?

How much will she drink? (how much has she drunk the past?)

What happens if she shares it with a friend who gets ill or their parents get on to you for supplying the drink?

I'd agree with the other posters who suggested buying enough for her (4 or 6 pack of pre mixed baccardi drink). They're pre mixed and predictable not like home measures which can be any mixture. Its bad enough for experienced drinkers, too much responsibility for a young woman starting drinking. It's plenty for her to have a few drinks and if she shares a couple with a friend, she can't give them enough to make them sick and get you into trouble.

A full bottle of baccardi is for too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Ahh to be young again. The fact your daughter came to ask you in the first place is a credit to you and shows she has a level head.

As others have said if she means a bottle of spirits that is far to much. If they all turned uo with the same it could end up very messy, you also don't know if others going parents know what they're up to and you don't want to be accused of supplying them all with drink.

Get her a couple or alcopops or tins of ready mixed spirits , also agree on a time for her to be home/you to collect. Set boundaries ie no other drink, no drugs etc... and if she sticks to that then you will trust her more for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Going to get her something like a small naggin or a few White Claws. Had a good discussion with her about alcohol abuse but emphasizing the responsible use of alcohol can contribute to a fun night. Glad we can discuss it. A moderate amount of alcohol for her own consumption the way to go. Next debate is pickup time. Parenting fun never stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That's exactly what I think.

That's exactly what we did when growing and I don't think any of my friends (well at least the ones I'm still in touch with) ended up alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

You seem like a really good parent that you can discuss these things with her OP and she feels safe to ask you.

Just educate her on what happens if you drink too much, blacking out, **** and pissing yourself, puking on yourself, room spinning, fighting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Weve let our young fella have a few beers at home with us since he was 16. A massive part of this was thinking back to when we where that age, the states we got into in fields and Forrests.

Its healthy to encourage a healthy relationship with alcohol early on.

The young fella is now 17 and has started going out to the pub occasionally, so far there has been no incidents. He comes home more or less on time (maybe 30 minutes late, which is to be expected when your talking shite after a few pints).

I think a bottle of Barcardi is far too much however. I'd pick her up 8 of the small premixed cans of Barcardi, make sure she knows she can call you at any time for whatever reason and you will come and pick her up with no questions asked ,(well until morning).

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Definitely not. Might sound like a dry balls but she's under age and going to a party with other underage teens I presume. Now imagine something goes wrong or someone has too much to drink etc etc. You are responsible for the alcohol you provided, not worth it in the big picture, just say no.

IMO it sets a poor standard that it's ok to break the law. I know this particular situation is only something small when it comes to 'breaking the law' but it's the principle of it, poor choices often result in poor consequences, that's the point I would be focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you that niave to think that she’s not going to get it else where?

don’t buy her a full bottle or if you do then get something with a far lower alcohol level.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Your living in cloud cuckoo land. At 17 there not a child. Better to build a good relationship now with alcohol than let them off to college and going absolutely mentally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Given that you've resolved your issue, I'll close this one off.

Thanks folks

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement