Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Also the environmental movement want every house to have solar panels. This gives households a source of very cheap energy that's independent from government or corporate interests. Combining modern solar, batteries and energy efficient buildings and appliances means following green policies will hugely reduce energy insecurity

Energy unlocks potential. Decentralised, sustainable energy production is the next step in the unfinished industrial revolution.

I'm not saying people can immediately go fully 'off grid' with solar panels but it makes households much less reliant on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Lol. Yeah and the table you included shows exactly where the absolute majority of those subsidies for fossil fuels go and guess what? Its not to "fossil fuel companies"

Unless you believe semi state bodies and welfare recipients are "fossil fuel companies" 😁

The only subsidies ff companies seem to get are sometime of exemptions / allowance on R&D as part of exploration and as we've found out on this thread there's fcuk all of that going on!

Delighted to see the planning permission for the data center in Athenry has been quashed. Serious rap on the knuckles for the govt over that. Its going to impact permission extensions for all major projects and force them to go back out for public submissions rather than simply rubber stamping

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Facts are renewables are not dependable and will not be for a long long time to come.

Last year 11.8% of our energy came from renewables, down from 13.3% in 2020. A 11.3% drop in a year where supply increased by 4.3%. Renewables didn`t even keep pace with the extra demand.

The renewable energy share of electricity fell from 42% in 2020 to 35% last year. To compensate for that drop the use of both oil and coal tripled with coal accounting for 14% and oil 7% of electricity generation.

Yet here we are with our two largest coal and oil electricity generating plants due to shut down in the next few years, with a year where renewables could not even keep pace with our energy demands, gas fired electricity plants running at full capacity, and we have greens supporters applauding attempts to prevent the addition of new gas fired plants to compensate for those closures whittling on about this golden day when we have 100% dependable renewable energy without a single clue as to how we are to get there without a secure transitional energy source. It`s daydreaming insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The only renewable Ireland currently has is wind and a small hydro.

Pointing at the current output from renewable in Ireland only proves that we have not invested. Addition of solar will help but others as discussed on this thread need to be invested in.

The only insanity around here is someone constantly repeating the same rubbish over and over and over again as if they never said it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In that case you may knock your house and most of the housing stock in the country and rebuild to the new Green Technology. But how Green is that?? Unless you happen to be making a living off selling same Green Technology, it's a waste of resources. We may do what we may, but there's lots of housing stock that cannot and will not ever be able to be retrofitted to these new Green standards.

People often parrot on about how much local authority housing was built in the 1950s etc. They neglect to say that the specification of these houses were very low in relation to modern demands. I could put one of those up handily and maybe you too.

Our ideas are beyond our means and not Green. Reduce and Reuse is the true Green agenda not all this Green Tech washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who is manufacturing your Green solar panels and batteries? At what dirty cost so we can salve our conscience in western Europe?????

Who said to kncok down a house? such hyperbole

Insanity is living in a make believe world rather than in reality. Last year during the periods when wind generation was at 6% or less, then had we previously invested X16 times greater in wind turbines it still would not have provided 100%.

The reason that the same question is repeated is nothing to do with insanity. It`s to do with the expectation of a sane credible answer as to how green supporters intend going from where we are to this 100% renewable nirvana while applauding the campaign to prevent additional gas fired energy plants , attempting to ban LNG while ignoring our own energy regulator and E.U. directives on energy security. Especially after a year when renewables did not even keep pace with energy demand which resulted in a tripling of energy supply from coal and oil.

The real insanity is that greens are still waffling on about their make believe magic world, while not having a sane credible answer. Just more waffle attempting to disguise that.

Rinse and repeat, still going on about wind.

As I said wind is one renewable, plent others

• Advertisement

I reckon there's also a serious issue where opinion on renewables and other related issues are being confused with factual answers.

There's a noticeable and prevading line of thought that where some green advocates have opined about something green - then apparently there's no need to discuss anything further.

A very strange position where greens are looking a buy in from the general public tbh

A notable example of this recently was Eamon Ryan, who unilaterly ruled out nuclear power as an option in the transition from fossil fuel, despite mounting calls from environmental voices to consider it.

Personally I'd like the idea considered by the government as a whole and not just Mr Ryan deciding that where he doesn't like something its not going to happen. See his attempts to stonewall the Appraisal program for the Barryroe oil and gas field and his attempts to interfer with an Bord Pleanála over the Shannon LNG terminal.

Saying it like it is

‘Wind is Ireland’s oil,’ says Martin as EU moves away from Russian energy

"Our fundamental challenge in terms of moving to renewables will be structural, delivery, planning, we’re working on that. We’ve now created a streamlined planning framework for offshore wind development in Ireland.

“For the next decade, the big investment in Ireland will be in offshore wind, we’ve one of the windiest coasts in the world, particularly in the western seaboard,” he said.

“So, wind is Ireland’s oil and that’s how we’re going to play it for the long term.

“Certainly, by the mid-2030s we want to be exporting energy and that’s our ambition.

“What the war in Ukraine is teaching us, and indeed the rest of Europe, there’s only one journey here, it’s a journey towards renewables and we’re going to have to double down on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

'Lol'

When the Government takes your money through taxes on the fuel you buy, and uses it to subsidise fossil fuels for low income families, where does that money end up going?

I'll give you a hint, (its to the fossil fuel industry)

Nope. When in here and now and people have little or no choice to buy fossil fuels to keep themselves warn - these subsidies help people do that and keep the lights on.

But sure fekm. As someone else here said sure doesn't Ireland have a very mild climate anyway or something

But let's not forget, not only are those fossil fuels helping raise huge amounts of tax for the government, a sizeable portion of of those taxes are available for both renewables and supporting alternative energy production in the period of transition to renewable energy generation

That is unless you are suggesting the entire country goes cold turkey tomorrow with no fossil fuels whatsoever? Somehow I don't think you're going to get a lot of support there Akrasia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The inflated prices are due to the war in Ukraine. As you have brought it up again, you have yet to propose an alternative to the marginal pricing policy, mainly due to the fact you know shite all about I reckon.

That’s not a memo, so what are you talking about? What memo did Michael Martin not get?

Well you were repeatedly giving out stink about people going on about wind

"Rinse and repeat, still going on about wind.

As I said wind is one renewable, plent others"

And then Dacor mentions wind and Micheál Martin saying that wind is the bees knees and the dogs cajones

"For the next decade, the big investment in Ireland will be in offshore wind, we’ve one of the windiest coasts in the world, particularly in the western seaboard,” he said."

So, wind is Ireland’s oil and that’s how we’re going to play it for the long term."

As I said he mustn't have heard ya

Btw "not getting the memo" is a common way of saying someone didn't get the message

• Advertisement

"The inflated prices are due to the war in Ukraine."

Wrong & Incorrect. Electricity prices were through the roof right across Europe long before the Invasion of Ukraine

With the volatility in gas and electricity markets haven been highlighted as being one of the casualties of the clean energy transition programme back in October 2021

"Since most countries still rely on fossil fuels to meet all their power demands, the final price of electricity is often set by the price of coal or natural gas. If gas becomes more expensive, electricity bills inevitably go up, even if clean, cheaper sources also contribute to the total energy supply"

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2021/10/28/why-europe-s-energy-prices-are-soaring-and-could-get-much-worse

"As you have brought it up again, you have yet to propose an alternative to the marginal pricing policy, mainly due to the fact you know shite all about I reckon."

Why are you always on about posters bringing up the marginal price policy, Ban? But perhaps more importantly why do you have to be abusive about it?

Lots of posters have mentioned the EU marginal price policy for electricity. But every time I seem to mention it, you parachute in out of nowhere to ask what the "alternatives are"!

Can ye no look that yourself man?

Anyway you want an answer to the question you're using as some type of big lump of wood to try and whack people with. Grand.

I'll go with Charlie14's answer when you asked him the exact same daft question

The alternative is to stop charging everything in the mix at the price of the most expensive component.

Ok, I've ignored enough of your posts to try a stab at this, lets see if I can do it right, here goes

OMG!!1!1

Now you claim to have knowledge of what communications the Taoiseach does or doesn't get?!?!? 😂

More lies!!1!1! omgherd!1 You need to own up to lying, you can't possibly know what memos are sent and to whom, caught red-handed 😅

Or show evidence but you won't because something something

etc etc

I don't think I left anything out

The really obvious rinse and repeat is you doing what you have been doing here since day one. Total avoidance of anything you are asked and coming out with some very peculiar replies like, "still going on about wind" So why not about wind ?

Basically the only two renewables we have are wind and hydro, with no extra capacity for hydro.Last year wind energy dropped by 15.8% and hydro by 19.6% while our energy use increased by 4.3%.

The renewable energy share of electricity dropped by 16.7%, (down from 42% to 35%), and to compensate for that the use of coal and oil tripled accounting for 14.0% and 7.5% of input for electricity generation. Now it seems we are not suppose to talk about wind where both coal and oil generation plants are slated to close, and we have greens applauding attempts to prevent new gas burning plants to fill the gap, attempting to block LNG, both recognised as E.U. approved transitional sources, while whittling on about "plenty others" and off shore wind farms where even the most optimistic date for anything from them is at least 6 years away, (with very little evidence they are the solution) and still not an answer from one of them how we are going to get from where we are to 100% dependable renewable energy without gas.

You ok Da?

Broken was giving out about posters talking about wind.

And you then post quoting Micheál Martin talking about wind.

And I said he obviously didn't got the memo.

What does the expression “didn’t get the memo” mean?

Definition: was unaware of something that was common knowledge (in this case that we shouldn't be talking about wind for some reason)

Example: Everyone was supposed to come in to work over the weekend, but I guess Bob didn’t get the memo. He didn’t show up.

Note: No actual memo is necessarily involved."

Though to be fair I get the impression that you weren't included in that prohibition.

its a bit odd a poster trying to say what topics posters can or can't post about.

But no you didn't get it right. But no matter 🤷‍♂️

Looks like Ryan is a believer in the P.J. Mara quote "una duce, una voce".

A bit cheeky from a lad whose party only achieved 7% of the popular vote (a figure I imagine they would be delighted with now rather than the recent poll that put them at 2%), and is not going to even get a shot at being duce in this government.

The joke was on you there sunny where you thought the comment it was about an actual "memo" 🌞 lol

Tbf your comment is up there with the Russians bombing Kerry, their not being enough dead dinosaurs of the Irish coast and some posters not knowing Ireland had any natural gas resources amongst others 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

are there any safe renewables? Turbines are made up of lots of cement and metal. those materials arent created in an environmentally friendly way. Solar panels contain plenty of toxic materials that come to the fore when its time to dump them. never mind electric cars that use some form solid fuel to create the electricity they use.

Shouldnt we have worked out the best way to create one renewable source that is genuinely clean in its construction, performance and disposal and THEN push the green agenda?

Other than adding free magic beans to the mix I could see no other alternatives. I didn`t mention the magic beans as I was worried the poster might actually see them as an alternative to the marginal pricing policy

• Advertisement

There is only one truly green agenda and that is that we all, as individuals, stop consuming and procreating. Everything else is just positioning on a scale from bad to catastrophic

Advertisement