Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Have heard enough about Top Gun to last a lifetime on D&D and I'm a Top Gun and D&D fan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I do wonder have they ever been to a crap movie. Every time, its the best ever, you GOTTA go and see......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The whole explaining the interview and what and why stuff was asked was fairly laborious. They do it a bit.

Just play the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The Cash machine stuff is out of control now, no letting up, doesn't matter if it's morning, noon or night.

Despite worse presenters, I've switched to 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If only the Bauer group had some mandatory method of getting money out of its listeners. Then this extra ad break wouldn't be necessary. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

The only reason Bauer came here was to bleed as much money as possible from the Irish market. They aren't a charity and have no connection to Ireland. It's funny how people complained about Denis O Brian owning so much media for years but at least he didn't have the cash machine and he employed more DJs on air. The first thing Bauer did was get rid of graveyard shift djs like the 5/7am Today FM shift

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You clearly didn't hear about the mass cuts that Denis O'Brien made in his last 5 or 6 years in charge, did you?

Well you're stuck between a rock and a hard place after the top of the hour news and weather , you can either put up with one minute of Cash machine promotion or multiple minutes of Entertainment updates usually led by Lottie Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I'll take the one minute cash machine promotion, if it's all the same!

On another note - why say something or play something once, when you can say or play it five times in a row. Ray Foley and the guy who for some reason doesn't merit a credit at all, I'm looking at ye. Was stuck in someone else's car there earlier and had to put up with them. I'm all for lighthearted banter - I genuinely love Dermot and Dave's show - but Ray and JP just seems so... forced? Rehearsed? Which you'd let them away with if they were actually funny. Not to mention the repetition! Not to mention the repetition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

You don't like Ray Foley and JP cos they sound so forced and rehearsed and repeat clips but you genuinely love Dermot and Dave?

Sounds like a big contradiction to me?

• Advertisement

Matt Cooper having a discussion on proposed Gambling legislation at the start of the programme before he plugs The Cash Machine for the rest of the show.

Pot, kettle, Matt.

Ok, so what I mean is while Dermot and Dave have different regular segments - say Dave's Bad Jokes or "Say stuff that suits the music" - the rest of the time they'll start off talking about Topic X and veer off onto different tangents, the way you do naturally when you're having a conversation with mates down the pub. Like the pronunciation of the name "Ger" today! And when Dermot brings on Nony the tangents can be a bit out there! It all sounds like natural - at least to me.

The other two lads, though, it's like they're reading off a script - one that says "after Ray says X, play the clip again. When Ray repeats what the clip said and JP has responded, play the clip again." They had one today where some kid was pretending to be a celebrity that they must have played 10 times. Maybe it only felt like that cos it wasn't funny after the first time?

Obviously, everything is subjective, YMMV, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I wouldn't say it was his idea to plug the cash machine. This "cash machine" is mentioned on all the stations owned by Bauer Media. All the presenters have to mention it during the day. Even Shane Coleman on Newstalk in the mornings gives it a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish radio is being taken over by giveaways, competitions etc.

So many now on shows, being repeated to death.

What ever happened to just having a radio show, a bit of chat and some music? I'd say only a tiny percentage of listeners actually enter competitions on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ray and JP are gas. A very welcome addition in the afternoon

The ad breaks aren't making ends meet. Other income has to be found.

A radio executive confirmed in 2018 that traditional ad revenue was in decline across the board 10% per year with advertisers moving their spend online. That wouldn't have changed since, so yes, radio stations need new income streams and fast.

The Last Word, Pat Kenny Show, The Hard Shoulder et al have absolutely no integrity in taking the high moral ground when discussing the big bad bookies targeting children with advertising during sports events etc when Spin are forcing the Cash Machine down kids throats everyday.

Off the Ball used to be two faced about it and were willing to take a chunk of Paddy Powers revenue and talk about the ills of gambling at the same time but now they just take the bookies money and ignore the problems they are adding to.

I was only thinking recently, that most under 22ish year olds are very unlikely to have any phone credit to enter the cash machine, because mobile phone networks the past few years have by in large done away with plans that let you keep any disposable credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Remember radio back in full swing during Ray Foley's absence

• Advertisement

Yup. Loving it. Jessica suits the timeslot quite well. First week in a month or so where I've left the radio on in the afternoon and not moved to Spotify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord christ they dug out Jennifer Gannon to dribble out analysis of the Depp trial. Good comedy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just came on to post this. She's insufferable and full of nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Shes best left to reviewing Love Island anything else is beyond her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Aside from the fact that she talks utter drivel, I cannot abide the way she speaks. There are some voices you could happily listen to reading the phonebook all day long. Ms Gannon is exactly the opposite. Her dictation is absolutely woeful. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to give her a microphone? Crashing through sentences and her inability to pronounce "ing" is really difficult to listen to. everythin' anythin' somethin'...... Absolutely dreadful, possibly the worst voice on radio - and that's some achievement in itself as there's a few bad ones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They have her on RTE radio 1 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Tork

I haven't heard what she has to say on this particular topic but going by past experience, I have a pretty good idea. I wish she didn't get as much airtime as she does because she does nobody any favours. Not her, not all her causes, nobody. She doesn't do nuance and that's exactly why she is brought onto radio shows. She winds people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She essentially felt it was unfair for Amber Herd to lose as she won't be given the opportunity to restart her career, but she felt it was fine for Johnny Depp to lose because he'd get a second chance at his career, even though he had already lost roles due to the original allegations.

She didn't really seem to care about any of the facts behind the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

You can enter on bill pay phones. You just get an extra two quid or whatever it is added onto your bill

• Advertisement

People still have landlines? 22-year-olds still have landlines?!

Advertisement