Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Basically the only two renewables we have are wind and hydro.

This is why it is rinse and repeat. This was already discussed with details from the Institute of Marine and Gas networks on others. Plenty of information shared on solar.

Yet again you ignore them and go on about oil & coal & gas.

The fact is the same since the start of the thread and will be the same at the end. A mix of renewable technology is the future for Ireland.

How do we get to 100%? well we invest money in renewable. Fairly simple. plenty of debates recently on the requirements of Ireland and at the end everyone said the same, we need to get to renewables quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

7% more than any party who support Nuclear in Ireland

Yes and we will all die while we wait for this one renewable source

Like many things you need to look at the lifetime of a product. So yes a electric car creates more Co2 during manufacturing but over the lifetime compared to combustion creates less. Even better is more people using public transport.

Turbines are made of material, but they generate electricity and have a life span of 20 years so the CO2 created in manufacturing is tiny compared to the CO2 reduced by power created by the turbine.

Solar panel last 20+ years, by the time large swats of these panels go end of life I am sure a company will have created a regeneration programs, like at the moment loads of companies starting up to regenerate old car batteries.

People find resolutions to problems all the time, if we sit around waiting for some make believe one green technology by the time we will invent the World will be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

even though I didnt count everyone in the world, I assume reports are correct and theres around 7 billion people on the earth. Wasnt it around 2 billion in the early 1900s? We are headed down a bad road - and I think we are just years too late to do anything about it, Forget 'saving the earth' - the earth is just fine and will live on without us. Its the human race that will die, so we'd be better figuring out how to GTFO of the planet and go elsewhere than trying to 'save' anything. to little too late. We should have been treating the issues as serious as we are (pretending to) now, from right after the WW2. humanity was too late in that regard

What message? why would MM have "heard ya"?

This is just a incoherent ramble which has no link at all apart from MM mentioned wind and I mentioned wind. Is that the link between the two? really is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Your not still on about your daft wave energy Marine Institute ramblings are you ? Even green supporters on here have told you it`s so marginal it would make damn all difference to supplying our energy needs. Plenty of information about solar, but we presently have little or no solar, and last year, like every year before any every year for a long time to come we will need fossil fuels. Last year renewables could not even keep pace with the increase in energy demands and without coal and oil there would have been blackouts. Those are the very simple facts.

I have no problem with eliminating coal and oil generating plants, but to do that then in the real world we will need gas plants. Not to just to fill the void left, but as a transitional source. Yet here we are with greens cheering on attempts at preventing any additional gas plants and attempting to ban LNG. The question is, and has been for a long time, without even a vaguely creditable answer as to how we will make this magical jump to 100% dependable renewables without at the very least, a secure transitional gas supply ?

🤦‍♂️

This was your message which you've repeated many times in this thread btw

"Rinse and repeat, still going on about wind.

As I said wind is one renewable, plent others"

And then DaCor appears quoting MM "going on about wind" lol.

I'm sorry but it was comic timing and the two of you thinking there was an actual memo!

Look fair enough you made a booboo.

No matter 😁

The last opinion poll I saw on nuclear had 43% for and 43% opposed with the rest "don`t knows".

Among the 18 -24 year old group ( an age group that is one of the highest demographics in terms of Green Party voters) 60% were in favour of nuclear.

I would be very surprised if that 60% in favour does not go in some way to explain the drop in Green Party support from that 7% electoral result to their recent 2% poll showing due to their stance on nuclear.

0% of the political parties did, or will campaign on a manifesto that includes building a nuclear power station in the Republic of Ireland

Even the greens have softened their stance on opposing Nuclear on environmental concerns, for purely political reasons no party will commit that many resources to a project that would definitely be delayed for decades in court and planning challenges

• Advertisement

No party will run on it because nobody wants it. It's all talk on here but if someone build one beside any of the people recommending it here they would be down complaining about it....it's all bluster on here

They may not in the past, but from 43% in favour overall and 60% of the 18 - 24 age group, I would be very surprised if all parties were not taking a fresh look at it with an eye to inclusion in a manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Like many things you need to look at the lifetime of a product. So yes a electric car creates more Co2 during manufacturing but over the lifetime compared to combustion creates less. Even better is more people using public transport."

Even better you give up on your so called Green EVs and tell people to cycle/ walk and narrow their horizons.

"Turbines are made of material, but they generate electricity and have a life span of 20 years so the CO2 created in manufacturing is tiny compared to the CO2 reduced by power created by the turbine."

And have you factored in the considerable destruction of the environment involved in their construction and maintenance. That's like the arguments of fossil fuel producers who never factor these costs into their industries. And who is ever going to decommission these industrial sites and restore them to what they were, at what cost?

"Solar panel last 20+ years, by the time large swats of these panels go end of life I am sure a company will have created a regeneration programs, like at the moment loads of companies starting up to regenerate old car batteries."

You are sure?? Is that the best we can do? We make all these panels, presently using cheap labour and dirty coal in places like China. Then hope we can do something other than landfill them when the next Green Tech comes along?

I don't have any more answers than most here but I'm suspicious of agendas that seek to churn the market.

The more you look at it though, small scale nuclear looks to be more productive at less cost and with known risks. Still leaves us with the dirty business of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The most expensive component, when all factors are considered isFossil Fuels ie Oil, Gas, Coal, Turf etc and you know this.

You’re raging against The Greens not just in Ireland but globally and the funny thing is they want get rid of the grip fossil fuels have on us and yet you hate them with a passion.

You rant on about electricity prices and bla blah blah and yet you know the reason for high prices and yet you want more of the very thing which is causing high prices, fossil fuels.

The article you posted a few days back about providence resources, it’s there in black and white they don’t give two dry shites about Ireland’s energy security they just want to fill their pockets and you know this but still rage on, it’s all the greens fault same with lng the most expensive gas variant all sold on the open market at open market prices.

you come on here and throw out wild tabloid statements and then when your flushed out with dogs and grenades you get angry and attempt to change the subject.

🤷‍♂️

Wanna put a bet on it? 50 euros to charity if a single party puts that on their manifesto and gets more than 7% of the vote in the next election

Makes for interesting reading as to how shite nukes would be here, how they would be too late to be of any benefit in terms of co2, the waste problem and so many other issues.

Lets not forget that Russia control 46% of global uranium production. I mean, what could potentially go wrong with giving them that level of control over the fuel source lol

The materials used in constructing solar panels or wind turbines are relatively easy to recover and recycle. The waste products from burning fossil fuels are incredibly expensive to recover and have planet changing consequences if we fail to do so...

The thread title is "Green policies are destroying the country". I can't help if you don't like people posting here.

What exactly has any of that personal invective got to do with the EU marginal price policy alternatives which currently dictates electricity prices and which you brought up btw? You appear to have changed the subject again.

Whilst we know the fossil fuel industry are the baddies, what are the alternatives to mitigate private investors in the renewable sector making their own obscene profits whilst everyone else gets squeezed?

Renewables could indeed eventually provide much of our energy supplies. However at present we require non renewables to provide a reliable form of energy for the period of transition to renewable energy generation. Not me saying that btw. The greens supposedly have also have signed up to that necessity.

Fossil fuels prices increases are certainly not the only mechanism driving huge increases in energy prices. See previous comments.

Not every green policy is good or well thought out. Apparently the greens don't like any criticism. And that's not healthy.

Everything else what you've said t has already been well discussed and a lot of it has shown not to stand up to scrutiny imho. And the only things which I see as "angry" Banana is in your own comments

"Dogs and grenades"? Sure thing Banana. 👍

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Whatever the reading appeal of that particular article, your particular use of phraseology again is incorrect there and would seem to deliberately conflate generation of electricity in nuclear power plants with nuclear military weapons (nukes)

Nuclear technology like everything else has moved on significantly in the last two decades with new smaller modular nuclear power stations now a reality. I've already posted this. Maybe you didn't read it?

If Russia controls 46% of global uranium production, much of which they use themselves , then that means that othrt countries combined control 54% of uranium production and more than enough for the use global nuclear energy globally

Intetestingly enough China is currently the world's largest producer of wind and solar energy products (much of it produced via coal fired power energy generation) which it sells to countries around the world. I mean, 'what could potentially go wrong with giving them that level of control over the renewable energy generation technology lol'

• Advertisement

You don`t seem to get what the marginal pricing policy is. it`s a policy that prices everything used in the mix at the price of the most expensive component. It doesn`t matter if the percentage of the most expensive component is 5% or 95%. There is no benefit for the consumer from the marginal pricing policy. It is, especially with the price of gas at present, creating massive profits for renewable energy suppliers, something even recognised by the E.U. urging countries to impose windfall taxes on those profits even thought they are responsible for creating the policy.

We know, or at least anybody with even half a brain knows that we need a transitional energy source, and where the E.U. is concerned those are either natural gas, LNG or nuclear. Under the present marginal pricing policy if not changed then we will be paying for everything in the mix of components even if renewables were providing 95% of the output.

A states secure energy source is not the responsibility of any company, it`s the responsibility of the state. The E.U. directive on energy security makes that clear. What natural gas from Barryroe would do is go some way at least to us being in compliance, which now we are not. You may not realise that LNG is recognised by the E.U. as a transition energy source and are bulk buying from the U.S. similar to how they bulk bought vaccines and thus getting a discounted price. Here we have the Irish Green Party attempting to ban LNG when other E.U. countries are expanding their LNG terminals, building new terminals and leasing floating terminals. Does it not strike you as a bit strange that Irish Greens appear to believe they know better than the E.U. and all those countries ? Other than an ideological bent I can see no reason for it, nor have a heard a credible reason for it either.

I learned the hard way a long time ago not to bet on politics. Still, looking at the results of that poll, especially the high approval from the 18 -24 age group, I would be surprised if politicians haven`t noticed. I certainly do not believe from that percentage, or the overall percentages for that matter, it`s a subject that should be shouted down simply because some do not like it. That is not what the principle of democracy is based on.

So what's with the false panic then?

Critical infrastructure will have backup power, whether that's diesel generators or their own battery reserves

Small scale nuclear 😂

Anyway

Not sure what the point of the post is.

Talk to any person with any sort of environmental leaning and they will say the same, mass movement of people out of cars and into public transport/cycling etc is the best option. But if they need a car then a electric car is best. Out of interest to you walk/cycle anywhere?

You are talking about destruction of environment in the construction/maintenance. Do you see what the extraction of fossil fuel does to the environment before we even discuss about refining etc.

Or are you saying that nuclear has less of an impact?

What do you mean "Is that the best we can do?"

Small scale nuclear is now a reality Maybe you haven't informed yourself on that development?

"Talk to any person with an environmental leaning"

A what now? I believe you're conflating populist rhetoric with reality.

With the greens in this country, their own program for public transport is being ignored in favor of Eamons favourite topic - bicycles. Where's the active investment in trains or any other workable countrwide solution to transport? Not just a bunch of cycle lanes in the leafy suburbs.

The green party policy on transport amounts to little more than aspirational waffle with lots of buzzwords and whilst the same policy may talk the talk with lots of options, its the following line which shows just how out of touch with reality the green party are

Incentivise the adoption of cycling as a main mode of transport through financial supports

For anyone who has ever been a committed cyclist in this country - that's a load of waffle. Cycling in Irish conditions is at best challenging. Weather including strong winds, lots of rainfall and numerous steep hills and inclines mean that cycling can never be a year round "main mode of transport" for the majority of people. And whilst a bike may get you from A to B on short journeys where conditions are favourable - its not possible to transport a week's shopping or indeed anything larger than a couple of recycled carrier bags. Significant intercity or other long distance journeys for the majority of people cannot feasibly be undertaken by bicycle. The list goes on.

The rest of that section of the green party policy is only worth highlighting because it is truly backward looking Dancing at crossroads stuff which envisons reducing " building self-sustaining communities" so people don't have to travel. So that's everyone back in their village then

Apparently a key element of this new transport policy is to "Increase understanding among An Garda Síochána, the Judiciary and the Coroners’ Service of the role they have to play in framing public attitudes towards active travel" and to "Invest in active travel promotion and regulate advertising which promotes unsustainable modes of transport"

Which all seems to boil down to Green Speak for using lots of depictions of gore and accidents, Just to further ram home the evils of automation!

I think we can firmly leave much of our green partys policy on transport and its implementation where it belongs. In the recycling bin!

As for Nuclear bizarrely being slated by some greens including our Eamon. Strange that its hated with such fervor when it produces even less Co2 emissions than any other energy generation method including wind and solar 🤷‍♂️

I think we need to remind you again, every political party in Ireland has a green agenda. This thread is not about the Green Party alone.

Now if you want to start a thread to rant about the Green Party or Eamonn Ryan please fire ahead, I am sure it would probably be covered under the government thread. But this is about all "green" policies.

Your obsession with Eamonn Ryan is a bit concerning to be honest. Why don't you email him and ask for a meeting to raise your concerns?

I think you've confused populism with democracy

Politics is 'the art of the possible'

You're free to vote for any party you like, but none of the mainstream parties will putting any commitments to build a nuclear facility in Ireland.

Anyone that does, my first questions to them would be Where are you going to build it?

They'd never answer that question because they know that it would result in their share of the vote in that region of the country collapsing

Even if they answer that question, the follow up questions, How long will it take, how much will it cost and who is going to build it will be enough to show them up for what they are.

Lest we forget, where will the waste be stored safely for thousands of years to come and who will pay for that.

• Advertisement

Waste? I thought nuclear was all signing all dancing with zero waste the way people go on here.

Not the horrible output that no country in the World wants to store

Advertisement