Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Other states passed a law only 21 year old adults can buy a rifle.Theres no way all guns will be banned in america ,theres a tradition of owning guns ,hunting, especially in rural area,s and southern states. The strange thing about this case is the police stood outside the school for 30 minutes plus, while the shooter was inside .yes there was a locked door, they had to find a key to open it, but american police have all sorts of tools and weapons to deal with emergencys .

there should be in depth checks for anyone who wants to buy an automatic rifle.

there,s well funded political groups like the NRA who donate to republican politicans and will fight any attempt to bring in more gun control laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to a report released earlier ,the shooter crashed his truck outside the school at 11:28 am ,and shot at several bystanders before entering the school unchallenged around 11.40 , when police arrived he was already in the classroom at 11:44/5 and when he started shooting at police officers who withdrew and waited for a border patrol tactical unit to arrive am hour later at 12:45 who stormed the room and killed the shooter .

That is beyond fucked up in my opinion ,now I know they needed to secure the school and wait essentially for some kind of swat unit, but to stand by for an hour and listen to them children being executed is beyond belief ,

20 odd cops all armed left an armed headcase in a room full of children for an hour .

Unforgivable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

In the Senate, major legislation requires 60 votes to pass(due to filibuster rules). Currently, it is 50-50 so they will always need at least 10 republicans to pass something like this.

And you'd be the hero Garda charging into the barrel of an AR15 spraying your ammo all over the place, I'm sure. Rambo is a movie.

A lot of captain hindsight posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/heart-attack-risk-soars-soon-after-losing-a-loved-one

Heart attack risk soars soon after losing a loved one

May 1, 2012

Some events in life—like the death of someone important to you—are impossible to prepare for. If you find yourself mourning a spouse, family member, or close friend, take time to take care of yourself. That's the bottom line from a new study by researchers at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC).

They found that a person's risk of having a heart attack skyrockets to 21 times its norm in the first day after the death of a beloved friend or family member. The heart attack rate remains eight times above normal during the first week, but then steadily declines over the course of a month. The physiological explanation for these findings is that intense emotions can increase heart rate, blood pressure, and the tendency for blood to clot—all of which raise the risk of a heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The old adage that making a mistake is better than doing nothing in life and death situations proabably applies here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It's just stupid. What about cinemas where there has been mass shootings? Arm the people who work there? What about the concerts at Las Vegas? Arm the people in the band? What about the Buffalo store shooting last week? Arm the workers?

The other talking point they had was oh it's a mental disease until we find out there were no red flags with this guy. Then they shift to let's make sure all the doors in schools are locked. Anything to avoid discussing the main problem: how easy it is to get a gun here in the US.

I really believe the best way to change things is with incremental changes i.e. background checks, then a national registry, banning assault weapons. No single step will eliminate these types of shootings but one step at a time can help reduce it. Personally I think the 2nd needs to be repealed. The gun community(including some fans on here) have shown what they want i.e. their love of their previous guns, clouds their judgement on these topics. Go find another hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

The cops were armed. There job is to serve and protect. They weren't given firearms just to look at. They were meant to use them. To stand around put side while gunshots were going off inside is not right.

No it doesn't. You don't run into a room full of chidren firing off your weapon. Not if you have any basic level of police training.

The cops are Gaurds, no different. They called in a swat team to deal with the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

So why didn't the Democrats do something about gun control when they held the balance of power during Obama's first term?

The Filibuster. They need about two thirds majority to pass certain votes. No party has had that or is likely to have it in the near future. There is pressure to abolish it, but if Biden does that, which he can, what happens if Trump gets back in next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

Basically, what's happening here is that the USA has said, as a nation, that they will tolerate no significant regulation of gun ownership and if that means a place full of innocent people gets shot up every other month (or every month they things are heading), that's acceptable collateral damage to live in the land of the free.

Nah, you're wrong. Some of them went in for their own kids. Others heroically prevented other parents from entering the premises.

I have no doubt that at least three teachers I knew would have cracked and produced an official firearm if they had it. Two had mental illness and the third liked violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder why they went with border patrol to deal with the shooting rather than local swat units, hostage situations and sieges doesn't seem to be part of their remit (open to correction)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and yet we are told, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

@Gatling because they were Hispanic and this is a border town full of Hispanics. Race, and convenience I guess.

To a point I'd agree with you, there was a mix up of protocol. Officers on scene should have reacted to a threat of life at that moment. I can't say or some of me understand why they waited. Usually if your a first responder on that scene, you call in backup then confront the situation to minimalize the threat to life.

It's a tragic situation, my home town is only 60 mins from there. My only guess and experience is the officers on scene were called down for the tac unit and that's what they did which was a bad call from the brass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE have produced over a dozen articles on their page about this tragedy.

These American tragedies must be good for hits on their site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A number of Democrats voted against as well. Not all Democrats are in favor of all gun control. The Manchin-Toomey act was voted against by D Senators from Montana, Alaska, North Dakota, Arkansas, and Nevada. Had they voted “party line”, combined with the four Republicans which crossed over they would have (just) had the votes to pass. One can imagine, however, that the constituents of Alaska, Arkansas or Montana have very specific views on guns, no matter the party representative they send to Congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Texas Rangers said that local cops engaged the killer early in the incident and that it was right to wait for back-up. However, as Robert Moore said (see 2nd video on the following page), the problem with that defensive narrative is that, since Columbine, police protocol says that officers should enter the school immediately to engage the shooter regardless of the risk to their own lives.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jesus Christ another swing and a miss.

The likelihood of a heart attack increases after losing a loved one.

Do you not get tired of not just being wrong but on a completely different planet most of the time?

Meanwhile

Happy to be proven wrong but this has stalling tactic written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was just coming here to say something similar. I find it strange it's still the headline story.

Are we talking about the filibuster or gun control here?

Regarding the filibuster, even Mitch McConnell recognised the danger of abolishing it. It would be legislative ping pong, especially as the two parties are becoming ever further apart ideologically. Dems would pass a hundred Dem bills, then the Republicans would reverse and pass their own. Trump would be able to realise his ridiculous fantasies.

Regarding gun laws I do have a bit of understanding for the gun lobby. Someone mentioned suicides earlier. Well thinking of people like Ernest Hemmingway. If you could take a bullet to the head instead of coming home to die in palliative care, weeks of torture for your family, a man slowly dieing in the house, the drugs being administered which basically take you out quietly, I know what option I would take if I had the courage and means.

Everyone should have access to a bottle of whisky and a hangun when they get that 'terminal' news.

You find it strage that the murder of 19 primary school children due to the easy access of guns in a country very closely aligned politically and economically to ours is the headline story?

I genuinely don't understand people who post stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There's a knife epidemic in the UK, even closer to us than the USA yet not much in the media about it.

Guns is in the US culture. Even if they were banned tomorrow the culture would remain and there'd be murders by other means.

Did you know that the US murder rate is 6.3 per 100k? And in Ukraine it's 6.2?

Does the knife epidemic involve 19 children being stabbed while they are in school?

When a child is stabbed in the UK by another child, it gets a lot of airtime. You can come in here and say there’s nothing in the media but you will be, as per usual, completely incorrect.

Why are you coming in here having a go at the media coverage of this? It’s another stupid deflection from another poster who has a history of completely missing the point on nearly every topic they talk about.

Dont come in here trying to compare 19 children being killed while they are in school to other countries, because your posting history is always full of posts where you make very clear that you simply don’t give a flying f*ck about what’s happening outside of Ireland, and all of a sudden now you do, because you’re trying to shut down conversation.

As a western democracy, the USA’s obsession with guns and the easy access of them is always a major talking point when literal children are being gunned down while they’re supposed to be learning, and devastating families in the process.

Anyone who thinks that, only two days after the incident, this shouldn’t be headline news because ‘oh look over there’ doesn’t actually give a f*ck about what is over there, because they haven’t a heart or the brain cells to gather their own thoughts.

There is going to be a lot of fallout to this, and if you look online the major talk is about this. That’s why it stays in the news, because people will talk about this for days.

If the topic isn’t for you, that’s fine, but don’t come in here trying to sneer at other posters because they’re not talking about other topics that you, yourself, don’t even give a f*ck about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Just seen the interview with one of the kids in the class. Harrowing stuff.

Advertisement