Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

This is very useful @Geeyfds53573 and @Jonathan 👍️

I tried it out on my Solis Hybrid, and it also draws from the battery while in Feed In Priority mode. The solis docs on this are at least confusing, if not incorrect...

As a limited test (done just once), I set to FIP mode, observed that the battery power in/out went to 0. So the Eddi then kicked in as generation was greater than consumption at the time. Then, I turned on a few appliances to get house load higher than generation, and the balance was indeed taken from the battery.

One interesting thing is that after I turned off the appliances (i.e. house load < solar gen), there remained approx a 280w draw continuously from the battery: it didn't go back to 0 as I'd have expected. Perhaps this would drop over time... I just waited a few minutes. I don't think this is will be a big deal.

My CALB batteries and have arrived now, and have a Seplos, so I'm watching the experiences of @irishchris and others with interest. It'll probably be a few weeks before I start the build, so may have a few questions then.

But, this FIP mode does appear good if need to prevent SOC reaching 100%. I guess set to FIP when SOC hits 98%, and back to Self Use at maybe 93%

It also answers the question in the Automation thread about how to prioritise Eddi/Immersion over battery with a Hybrid Inverter. Its not such an issue these days as generation is high in the mornings, but come Autumn, will probably set FIP mode in the mornings to put 2kwh into the Eddi/Immersion before the battery is full.

For anyone setting this through automation, (on my system at least) write 96 to holding register 43110

This is the same register that controls Self Use charge on/off (values 35/33)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Why would you want for SOC not to reach 100% if it is to protec teh cell than just set top voltage lower. If it is for this problem where inverter throws an error and top generating than I do not see this much of an issue as it deos recover from it.

Interestingly for me, I no longer have this problem anymore. I think this is because I changed the way my too packs are connected. Initally I daisy chained them but that meant that I could not monitor pack 0(Seplos confirm that it cannot be done) and also was causing problems at 100% SOC. Now both packs are separeted and only one connected over CANBUS to Solis. They charge and discharge fine without any errors when reacing 100%. The packs do not reach 100% SOC at the same time but they are withing 2-3%. CANBUS is connected to the one that reaches first. Once BMS reaches 100% it send command to stop charging and also blocks charging itself. I think this is what caused Solis to trip before. It just does not expect the power to be cut by BMS. With current setup only one BMS blocks where as the other one does not so even though the charge is stopped by Solis I do not have any errors or cut of generation for 5 mins or so.

From reading the various posts, I'd understood that reaching 100% was one of the main triggers for issues. I haven't started my DIY build yet, and am just getting the various pieces together now, including seeing what configuration/workarounds may be needed. So, it's not based on any practical experience with DIY battery at this point, only prep, and I definitely could be mis-reading the situation. If it isn't really required for this purpose, then that's even better.

That's good to hear its not happening anymore for you. I'm going with 16s2p. I may be pinging you in a few weeks asking for config help 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mceneaney

Where did you get your 32?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

Anybody here having an issue with seplos handling continuous charge or discharge at 100 amps?

After loading new parameters I received from seplos yesterday I went to do a full charge & discharge cycle for BMS to learn capacity but it seems to run at 100 amps in short bursts before settling back to 65 or so amps. Also noticed this evening with kettle and hob on it was only pulling 3kw from battery pack and rest from grid when my inverter is capable of pulling 100 amps and had no issues with the previous pylontechs doing it.

Also separate question for people wiring their seplos did you connect all three positive terminals to cables and if so how did you combine them before connecting to inverter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes! I've had that issue, but not using the seplos (as you know) aobo setting too. Goes to 70 Amps.

I was putting it down to thermal restriction, hits the 56c.. now you me got me thinking. Maybe it's the aobo setting? edit, Its 64c going on the local logging im doing.

I can change the firmware on my bms to change it's outputted name. It would be a Sunday project though

Edit2:

from the pylontech CAN doc:

and the code in the ZEVA BMS

the commented out code above is currently pylontech stuff too that had to removed to get the sofar to play nice (it kept jumping between battery types by itself)

I need to double check on the sofar but I think it uses the name broadcast over CAN to show what batteries it supports eg PYLON and LGCHEM but i'd have to double check that. (also it [sofar] will display the bms name when in the "General Lithium" battery selection.)

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

Can you share those parameters you received Chris as I have also been on to them but no new parameters received here.

Re the cables I have a 150 A BMS and connected two from the battery and 1 from the bms to the switch on the inverter side. I made up 2 busbars by flattening 15 mm copper tubing and this hasn't caused me any issues.

I sent the on with them. These are for my 16s2p pack

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jfdelb

Hello. I write from Spain with the translator. Sorry if something is misunderstood. Here several colleagues, who have Pylontech, have commented that the Solis RHI only gives 100A for a few minutes (about 15) and then drops to about 60-70A. If this is so, Solis is deceiving us with his 100A advertising.

• Advertisement

Interesting I will have to look back through my history on usage to see but never noticed it dropping below 100amps when was needed for cooking etc in winter. Good to know though and absolutely terrible if it is the case!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This is related to thermal throttling. @eniacs posted about it in the Solis Owners Facebook group. Presumably the inverter ambient temperature would be much higher in Spain than in Ireland or UK.

You need to watch their temps. The inverter is passively cooled and actually more designed for to be mounted outdoors rather than indoors. A good amount of them in Ireland are placed in the attics and these places get roasting during sunny days.

I did notice on the first week after install that my inverter is getting hotter than I want it to be. I could not keep my hand on it. I've measeured the temp of the radiator on the back and it was above 70 degrees. So the inside temps are even higher. I made 2 shrouds for 120mm PC fans and now internal temp rarely goes above 40 degrees. Been running like that for 3 years now.

The 5g one I have definitely has a fan on it, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Its installed in a room in the garage.

Seemed to throttle power from battery at 64c

Are you sure about this? The housing of RHI 5G is no diferent to 4G. I just looked in manual and it says cooling is 'natural convection'. These are IP65 rated so they are completely sealed.

Fairly sure, there's something that sounds very like a fan that kicks in when it gets under pressure. Haven't climbed up to shine a torch down the heatsink yet but something switches on and off

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

5G definitely has a fan. Spins up fairly quickly if charging at 100A. Must see if it can be controlled manually via Modbus.

Yep mine definitely has a fairly audible fan that cuts in and out when amps are high

If you can hear something it does not mean that it is a fan making that noise. Mine also makes a noise on full charge but I hear induction coil whine rather than fan and there is good amount of big coils inside so that is not surprising. I find it hard to believe for the fan to be inside sealed system as it neads to have intake and exhaust to be functional. I've seen couple repair videos/photos on Solis and there was no fan in any of them.

Strange if it is not as when it goes to stop you can still hear a slowing down noise like that of a fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Show us some pics, I was thinking the same, how did you mount it?

I have a network cabinet beside the inverter and I placed some 3000rpm 140mm fans inside which keep the gear cool enough during summer but wouldn't hurt to do the same for the inverter.

Are you blowing the air down on it or pulling it up, away from it?

Does hit 60 ish on a day like today but I have an alarm/notification at 70 which it never triggered so far.

Coil whine tone depends on the amount of current passing through it.

The air is blowing down as attaching fans at the bottom is more complicated and also there are cables in the way. Will try to make photos tomorrow.

I'm gonna have to investigate tomorrow, what I'm hearing s highly unlikely to be coil whine. But I'd say, if its a fan it's on the outside as part of the heatsink. I should be able to see it if I look down from the top.

I have seen the inverter discharge at full whack without the noise and also with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Saxar

Hello, everyone! I finally got Eplos BMS. Test with inverter Sofar ME300SP has shown that Sofar is supposedly garbage. In automatic mode, when charging, the inverter turns off, checks the voltage then turns on again. And so he does every 2 minutes. That's ****. I've been fighting with him for 2 weeks and no results. Battery type Pylon and General Lithium already tried without success. Firmware from 2.03 to 3.02 also tried. Does not work either. In firmware 3.06 : Data transfer to the portal does not work.

Why is he doing this when the inverter gets all the data from the BMS via CAN? If the inverter is in automatic mode for a few years, all the relays will break. Does somebody has any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭championc

I am using Sofar ME3000 with Seplos BMS and it is 100% perfect.

In my opinion, the problem is Eplos BMS. With CAN, the ME3000 becomes a dumb stupid device. It will do what the BMS say to do.

I think it's the sofar. What settings do you have? firmware version? CAN protocol: Sofar and on the inverter General Lithium ? When I switch to peak shaving mode, it charges constantly. without shutdown and voltage measurement. I just tried firmware 3.06 again. Now battery shows communication error.

Nice to hear you are on the road to the DIY batteries being up and running. Had few teething problems with mine in first few days but after talking through with seplos engineer on WhatsApp and using a parameter file from him they are working much better now.

I still get the 100% over voltage alarm which triggers my inverter to stop any discharge or solar production for about five mins but at least now the battery sits on standby at that and solar production carries on until I need the battery in evening to discharge. If they could stop the voltage from going to 3.65 and sit sooner at 100% then it would be ideal but no sign of that yet.

What inverter do you have?

I also get overvoltage alert.

I have 120Ah battery. And when battery is empty SOC 20%, the inverter starts to charge battery. It works fine, but the AH counter gets stuck at 117.4 Ah. Stops counting until the overvoltage alarm comes on. Then the Ah counter will immediately jump to 120 Ah. Absolute ****. I have experience with the following solar storage systems: Varta, Sonnen, Kostal, Fronius, E3DC, Sungrow, RCT, Huawei and SolarEdge. I know exactly how they work. Install 3-5 Electric Storage Systems weekly. Unfortunately, I have to confirm that the Sofar inverter is junk. Just like Seplos BMS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭championc

• Advertisement

Using a Solis 6kw 5G inverter with the seplos BMS and 32 X 200ah calb cells.

Advertisement