Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,908 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The honest thing to do would be to change the name if they completely change the recipe.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It definitely wasn't a cost thing: new brewer believed that the previous (multi-award-winning) recipe was technically flawed and needed to be fixed. And dropping a multi-award-winning label because Hotblack thinks that's more honest would be a daft business decision 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well one of the tours it was mentioned was pre-covid, so not current cost related anyway. And then a few of the brewers on the virtual/ lockdown craic meet ups also said it iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Dot have a short write up in the Irish times, and costs are mentioned in relation to their new core range (which I have not sampled).

“We’ve had an insane amount of cost increases; you see it everywhere in the supermarkets and at the petrol pumps, but the pressure is less obvious with producers. We have had three rounds of price increases since January alone. The utility costs for running a kettle and cooling a tank are enormous, and our supply chain is tricky.

“For instance, most aluminium comes from Russia and Ukraine, but there is a squeeze on malts, labels and all the other materials – we have retained our original retail price by adjusting our processes while still retaining quality.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Are Jaipur and Punk similar? Ive seen Jaipur in Lidl many times but never pulled the trigger on it

• Advertisement

Not really any more but they were both created by the same person and originally were very similar. Jaipur is well worth trying. All Thornbridge beer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nowadays I much prefer Jaipur to Punk although you have to be careful when buying either from Lidl as they are often short dated. It's great that Lidl sell them but turnover is probably relatively low compared to other beers they sell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think Thornbridge might be my favourite UK brewery for core line up / general drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Case in point, bought a 4 pack of Jaipur in Lidl a few weeks ago. This is the last one. Lucky I didn't wait until tomorrow, it would be undrinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

That would be good for another few months at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No, on the 28th it turns to poison!

Would have killed him stone dead.

They really should give minutes and hours as well as a date 😁

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have three queries:

(1) what is the general opinion of Lomza? I see several versions: unfiltered, Export, etc.

(2) what are people's general opinions on common weissbiers available in supermarkets?

Franziskaner

Paulaner

Erdinger

Lidl own-brand / Perlenbacher

(3) what are people's general opinions on common CZ beers available in supermarkets?

Staropramen

Budvar

Pilsner Urquell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Desperado 🍻

Łomża: the unpastuerised one is OK, the rest is rubbish.

Franziskaner is the best of the weissbier. Perlenbacher is fine if the price is good. Paulaner is passable and Erdinger is bland.

Budvar is excellent, though the Czechs will tell you it's more German-style than Czech. Urquell is good as long as you can tolerate the buttery flavour, and is considerably better on draught than bottled. Staropramen was never great but has been horrifically degraded in recent years and now isn't worth drinking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭toffeeshel

Session IPAs are my go-to beers. I got some Shaka from Lough Gill last weekend and thought that it was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've been really enjoying Trouble Curveball Pale Ale.

Old school, flavoursome but light, crisp, balanced.

It shouldn't be a remarkable beer, but in these days of confused IPAs, it stands out for a new release.

@Geuze if you like Budvar, give Spaten a go as well.

Lomza is kinda the new Tyskie (which was blanded and weakened a few years ago). Decent ABV, tastes OK. A step up from Stella etc. at a reasonable price - well, if you could call any alcohol prices reasonable these days

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

To my mind Lomza is the best of the Polish beers., particularly the Unpasteurised one. Lived there for a few years and gravitated towards this as the "cleanest" of the beers, least likely to give your head an absolute kicking the following morning. A close second would be Zubr but that's not so widely available here. Tyskie and Zywiec are muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

That Perlnbacher stuff from Lidl is gut rot and a few bottles arent good for the head next day. Ive had killer headaches the next morning after that stuff and generally dont get headaches after drinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Does anyone else have issues with Dot Brew barrel aged stuff being oxidised?

Some of their stuff can be lovely when it's done right, but I'm getting less than a 50:50 rate where the beer hasn't been oxidised. I just wouldn't take the chance again these days. I also don't see how they can put stuff in a can that clearly isn't up to scratch.

Got a pint of Full Sail earlier. It tastes nothing like it used to, and looks nothing like it either. Its nowhere near the same colour.

Maybe the standard answer is true and my palate is changing, but surely my eyes arent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Exactly what it says on the tin. Toffee and banana.

All GBB beers have changed drastically over the years and not for the better. They used to have quality brewers creating interesting beers but at some point the focus shifted.

The point where they started opening Mexican restaurants selling pre-bottled cocktails at eye watering prices, possibly...

Well they only started doing that this year. The beer quality dipped years ago imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Long before that, when Chris left quality control went way down, they're not brewing for people who like craft anymore, they're brewing for people who want something that tastes like something they know who are drastically overspending on food.

The odd canned release has been very good though.

Very true. The whole craft beer movement, or at least the mainstream players in it from a pub point of view, seems to be turning in on itself. Its a shame

Just look at the tap selection in any of their Dublin bars. It's mostly GBB/Brú scutter with the odd token alternative beer.

• Advertisement

Think we've passed "peak craft" tbh. Far too many "me too" producers out there, and GBB and Porterhouse just seem to be catering for the don't-frighten-the-horses market now. Food and slightly-less-blander-than-mainstream beers appear to be the thing now for them.

Meanwhile I got my White Hag Clann box last week, the single "guest" can was brewed by... White Hag (Dick Mack IPA). FFS. The rest just their own mainstream IPAs which are unremarkable (no Fionn) except for two coffee/oatmeal stouts which were almost tasteless, and a 330 of non-barrel aged Black Boar which was very nice. But the cost of the box really is not justified lately, it was better than this a few months ago.

Advertisement