Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Great news! 400 new jobs announced" - attitude towards more jobs

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

No need to fill anything in. Reading the words should be enough of an explainer. If that proves to be too taxing then copy the link and look at the coloured graphs.

so

if there were 400 jobs announced lost, the same posters would be in here saying twas a good thing?

no

itd be the same posters making the same posts regardless of the excuse they found to make them.

fairly extraordinary when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I was speaking to a colleague at my workplace yesterday who is in a managerial position. We work in a large MNC. She told we she has now had 2 hirings fall through in the past few weeks. 1 due to the person not being able to source housing local to our workplace and the other because theyre returning to work after an extended maternity leave and can't find affordable childcare. It's becoming a major problem.

I've noticed too that in the past year to 18months that most of our open roles have been filled through immigration. Now I see that in general as a good thing and all of these people are highly educated and contribute very strongly to the company and Irish society. Problem is, the inward migration is pitting even more pressure on housing, health and childcare. Three areas that are already bursting at the seams in Ireland. There is going to be some sort of market correction in the next few years. I fear it will be grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

It's not a market correction we're seeing in its infancy, it's a far more necessary societal correction that's on the cards.

Pyramid schemes die. And good riddance.

inward migration of highly educated and new jobs that are highly paid are great when we have the capacity.

We no longer have that capacity. It is also probably time to start talking about the ideal population sizes for various towns and cities around the country.

The rate of inward migration is a problem too - if all we did was ensure that we took in as many as we could approve planning and build accommodation, infrastructure etc for in advance then we would have a huge improvement.

A future legacy of rushed accommodation because of a self inflicted crisis is dumb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Many people have changed jobs in the last few years, I think more company's will have to be more flexible and allow more people to work from home , if they wish to attract workers. I just think in most parts of Ireland there's very little options Re renting flats or apartments at what point does it become impossible for new company's to come here if theres no where for workers to live?

It's like our economy has reached its max capacity given the housing resources we have avaidable

Advertisement