Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

It's funny I mention that on here and then the first thing that comes up on Google is simon Byrne making a statement about how low pay could see the psni lose officers over the head of it lol. £22.5k is less that the starting at GV when you factor in the NITA payment. If you are getting by on £22.5k currently, you should be OK mate.

As it stands, im having to take a cut of £1100+ a month. In another 2 years it will likely be more if things keep going on the right track in my current role. I know there are people probably alot more doing the same and it will be tricky for us as the more you earn, the more you typically spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

something has to be done about the pay in the job. Selfish as it is the more that leave the better for us lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehills4

Yeah same boat currently with shifts I'm on 30k plus but luckily I'm not the only earner so hopefully if all goes well should be able to ride it out for a few years and squirrel some away now when I can

Give the article a read, it's on belfast live. They currently have a budget to recruit 85 people next year as its stands and approx 1000 will leave over next three years so it clearly highlights the issues they are currently facing. Simon Byrne acknowledging that they are now faced with big issues and pay is a big one and junior officers are leaving to go back to private sector for better pay and less stressful jobs. Who knows, pay might be higher by the time we get there lol

• Advertisement

Same here, I'll be living out of the mrs pocket for a wee while by the looks of it 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

What cut? You'll be on more in GV

Basic salary £21,441

NITA £3492.

Total £24,933

For reference.

First year out of GV i cleared £34k and this year with offloading most of my OT to others still cleared £32k

• Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

Thanks for the information about the vetting everyone

Anyone aware of psni's stance on being on anxiety tablets regarding the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehills4

That's reassuring to hear I'm sure I read somewhere that OT is pretty much built In to you're workload so makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭lornzeo99

@new2022scs it would probably depend on why you are taking them and for how long. I know on another thread somebody failed the medical as they were on anti depressants for a long time and had a history with mental health. It would be a concern as you have a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

@lornzeo99 thanks, it's quite recent & a small doseage, I'm only taking 1 on the odd occassion so by time medical comes round I will be off them completely (hopefully) 😁

Thanks for that mate, that's a decent wage in first year. I take it there is plenty of overtime available if you want it?

🤣🤣 so you end up having to work lots of overtime 🤣🤣

Comes in peaks and troughs

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Just wondering is there a certain time that it's at its peak, summer, Christmas and public holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

This is something I actually wanted to know, I know a couple of people in the job but thought it would be too cheeky to ask. But they also back what you said, periods with load of overtime then periods of none, probably a good thing so you get a break from the overtime!

Even G.V is soo different that what it previously was, my dad joined in early 80's and police college was mostly people under the age of 24. Now its the majority are over that age. Most of the people I know are in the 40's that have started in the last few campaigns. I'm just hoping my 8 years NICS will transfer to a decent equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hypomnesia

8 year NICS alpha pension will carry over well to a CARE pension. Both are career average earnings pensions, so I'd say the rate will be decent.

My 3 year pension (38 months) came across very nicely. Worked out the equivalent was about 26 months of police pension contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

So are you guaranteed to make a decent enough wage then with the OT factored in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gooner22

Lurker here. ML 220-250, assuming there is some movement with an executive (big if) what do we reckon is best case scenario in terms of getting to gv? Also anyone else worried about fitness re pca, went for a run first time since February this week due to an ankle ligament injury and it could have went better to say the least 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

We could potentially be grouped together as I'm same merit listing as you. Strength training is on point. But Ive started doing HIIT training at the end of every training session. Using basics of press ups, sit ups, Burpees, squats etc and doing 4/5 rounds of each, 30/40 secs work and 15/20 secs rest should help build the fitness bud

I can see emergency funding coming into play and recruitment starting to pick up again, just due to the threats of officers leaving and retiring etc

I'd not hold your breath until atleast Feb/March 2023.

Still over 300 from the 2020 campaign left.

If courses of say 20 are the norm that's 15 courses worth which would take you into 2024.

Let this slow burn in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

I saw in the 2020 forum there's been word of some higher up the merit list getting told about a start being unlikely until winter so unless we sail through the next few stages I'm not holding my breath. But that's probably all just based on if there's no budget which surely can't go on forever

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

Well, last time we didn't have government for nearly 2 years, sooooo 😬

Listen to Nee Naw, he knows what he is saying. It can go for another year or two so don't hold your life's plans until you will be in 🤷‍♀️

Is overtime a big thing currently within the job?

No, they can’t afford to pay wages nevermind overtime

• Advertisement

So is the service delivery disintegrating day by day?

Advertisement