Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So.... 7 eps, and then 2 really long ones? That wording is confusing me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well the 7th is longer than the 8th so not exactly that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aye. I remember being both excited to see Ryder back, but also kinda sad she had dropped to mere TV lol.

Those episode lengths are just too much. It may be 9 episodes but functionally it'll be more like 18 taking breaks etc. (The fun of parenting)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did they think 13 hours was too long so split it up to 9 hours and 4 hours?

I'm away next weekend so will have to wait to watch this and Obi-Wan and Bosch finale.

Apparently they found out/decided that S5 would be the last when the were writing S4, and realised they needed more time than they had to set it all up properly. So they asked Netflix for an extra episode in S4, but clearly that wasn't enough either.

As for splitting the release, I'd assume that was Netflix trying to prevent people signing up for a free trial or whatever just to watch the new season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I wonder if episode 7 ends in a big cliffhanger since there is 5 week gap between it and the last 2 episodes. I wonder if it would have helped if they just release one episode a week given length of the episodes. Personally, I'm not a big fan of shows releasing all episodes at once. I see that The Boys are releasing 3 episodes in the first week and then one episode weekly.

Seeing some people on Reddit suggest that releasing 7 episodes in May and the remaining 2 in July is due to post production still going on for the last 2 episodes and to get episodes out before the Emmys Deadline on 31st May

Oh yeah, that's possible. I did read something the other day where the Duffers said they couldn't give a run time for one of the final eps because they were still working on it, so that seems to back that idea up.

I have to say the whole binge watching thing was never that appealing to me, and any novelty it had has long since worn off. I've really enjoyed things like Only Murders, Dickenson, For All Mankind etc. that release a few at once and the rest week by week. I think the other streamers are more likely to do it to try to keep subscribers for as long as possible, but given Netflix's recent issues it might do them no harm to start dabbling with that rollout strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The hell is gonna happen in episode 9!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good lord, not really enticed by the length of the episodes in series 4 to be honest. I loved series 1 & 2 but thought the third was utter tripe. Series 4 will want to be pretty good to draw me back in, especially given that boated running time.

• Advertisement

Not to be negative before its even started but I'm assuming the bloated run time will be down to having multiple storylines in multiple locations. I know that's how it worked other seasons too, but they were all basically in the same place. This time there's at least 3 very distinct places, and then probably different groups in each place. I'm just hoping they mix the characters well because there's so many of them now, too many to actually care about all of them.

I recognise references but I can't place all the references!

Well.. except Don't tell me the odds! 🙂

Seeing a couple of reviews coming through. Lots of talk about the long run times. Most seem to think they just about get away with it.

There's 4 main locations this season, Hawkins, California, Russia, and then the laboratory. All having their own subplots too. One review says Russia is the weakest one, and spread out too long, and a few characters feel like they've passed being necessary. I think that will really depend on how you feel about certain characters, and how long they're kept separated from the other plots for.

All in all though, the reviews sound mostly very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They posted the first eight minutes of the new season on youtube last week. Having sat through it the most noticeable difference between season 4 and previous seasons (this may not be the case throughout the season) is the pacing.

Those first eight minutes were very much Show don't tell in their approach to telling the story. Maybe the run times are related to that if it's a style they're looking to incorporate into their narrative delivery, if so it's not a bad thing as the preview appeared to be showing some growth in terms of the quality of the storytelling.

Not to say that a retro Sci-fi horror show can reach the level of for instance Better Call Saul but taking some cues from that type of storytelling is no bad thing for a show that above all else needs to build tension.

Glazers Out!

Here are the final episode runtimes for Stranger Things season 4 part 1:

Episode 1 – 1 hour 16 minutes

Episode 2 – 1 hour 15 minutes

Episode 3 – 1 hour 3 minutes

Episode 4 – 1 hour 17 minutes

Episode 5 – 1 hour 14 minutes

Episode 6 – 1 hour 13 minutes

Episode 7 – 1 hour 38 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

anyone watch one of the new episodes yet ? thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I won’t until Sunday at the earliest so I’ll be avoiding this thread for a while. I did watch the opening 8 minutes last week and I’m looking forward to seeing the new direction it takes. Obviously there’ll be more set up in this season than previous seasons so not expecting too much resolution. I don’t mind that either as I’ll enjoy the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Was expecting them to be pretty much feature lenght episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The end of episode 1 was [spoiler] genuinely quite gruesome.. it's transitioned from The Goonies to Aliens to Nightmare on Elm Street[/spoiler].

Gonna try and do an episode a day so as not to spoil myself.

Good to have it back regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Damn good ending to Ep1...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Watched ep1 and ep2, flown by and kept me interested. Didnt drag as much as i thought it would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

First one down, would certainly peak your interest to see what happens next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Spoiler tags don't seem to be working on mobile luckily I've seen them, I'd be massively biased but I love it again think it's great. Really flew by.

Interesting to see Robert englund play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I think it is very very good... the basketball team crap aside... i have seen the first 4 already....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

First four episodes were riveting anyhow

1: OK! That was a good episode!

• Gave more back story
    • Gave intros/catchups/positions of loads of characters
    • Awe hell no, something ain't right!

with Chrissy! To my Stranger Things feelings, she feels like advanced lost Will Byers level

I did like how that episode ended, the dog barking and the colouring had real terminator 1 vibes and then this new monster.. I swear.. it's the shape of a terminator.. just in flesh and with claws!

I freaking jumped when Max was looking over at Chrissy and the dog jumped at the fence.

One scene that was done well was

the combo of the Sinclairs highpoint moments in the different arenas. That was built up, combined and presented well .. in the technical tv/film aspects

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

watched episode one last night , thought it was mediocre until near the end but ive no doubt it will pick up , the stoner guy seem interesting addition

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm 5 episodes in. Its decent so far, some great bits.

However I just wanted to say, I've never cared less about a character than Jonathan Byers. Throughout the entire show, I don't think I've ever cared about anything he has said or done. Even his relationship with Nancy, both it and he could have been completely removed from the show and I don't think it would have mattered.

• Advertisement

2: Well.. there goes my theory from episode one.. 😲

I don't think Chrissy will be coming back.

This baddie.. Vecna now? .. maybe was under the control of the other creature in the upside down but now might be rising in power.

Definitely seems to be based there but able to project into Hawkins. More details on that coming I'm guessing.

Bit wierd the repeated showing of Eleven not have powers. Wow but that Angela is such an annoying **** bully... but like also all her friends too

Also noticed the Irish Film Board in the credits of this one.

Advertisement