Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

"National identity" in the context of the NP, means white Irish only. They wouldn't even call Phil Lynott or Paul McGrath Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

You seem to more about them then me.

I'm a politically homeless centrist

It's a direct quote from you.

It's hilarious that you forget or deny so quickly what you've written. Just goes to show how little you are invested in the opinions you express.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I said I volunteer for an organisation. You twisted that into me saying I work for an NGO. You're embarassing yourself now making up lies about what I said.

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You can certainly pick specific points and argue they are not racist. That said, the NP is lead by Justin Barret, a man who has spoken at Neo Nazi rallies in Germany and Italy. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. The Freedom Party are a close watered down cousin of the NP.

If we had a right of centre party here in Ireland that were not religious nuts or racist bigots and were brave enough to talk about immigration reform they would do very well at the polls. The problem is the only parties that mention it are crazies like the NP or Gemma and the likes. Most people with half a brain wouldn't touch those nutters with a barge pole.

We need a party that will stand up to the NGO's and EU. WE need tighter immigration policies, no nonsense deportations. There's hundreds of thousands of votes there for the taking if a party was brave enough to talk about the giant elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

While I'm sure the family were traumatized by the event, how many people rush to make a few quid from their trauma? Especially given the context.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

They are the same relatives that sought a protection order against him? Can't they sue the state from somewhere else if this state is so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

At this stage, given the scale of discontent, 100s of thousands of voters that are not represented in the political system, you can believe it is just a coincidence, or you have to accept it's an organised campaign to smear parties that organise to protect the Irish border and way of life or prevent those parties from forming altogether.

Otherwise we are asked to believe that 90%+ of the electorate of Ireland have transformed into open border fanatics in the past decade. And the country of Ireland is an outlier compared to the UK, France, Italy, Denmark, and the US.

It'll come down to how plausible you find that scenario. I'm sceptical anyway.

No organised campaign is necessary, the likes of the NP are their own worst enemies and don't need help from anyone else making themselves look silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Oh I don't disagree on any of the above, Barratt wouldn't be my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The parties and independents opposing immigration fail badly at almost every election. There is no organised attempt to smear them. They smear themselves with their own extremist, racist and violent behaviour.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Even if we did have a centre right party that wanted immigration reform you'd have the same bedwetters on here calling them Fascists and Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Multiculturalism is a holy sacrament of the WOKE progressive faith

None of the above matters regarding competition for resources, no more than opposition to contraception by the Catholic Church leads to over population in certain African countries etc

Impressive numbers so far getting PPS numbers, 33,000 Ukrainian folks from Feb to May

That should help with the worker shortages seen in many sectors

RTE news : More than 33,000 Ukrainian refugees issued PPS numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fine Gael for example is in favour of mass migration and still gets called "Blueshirts".

There isn't going to be any "right-of-centre" (or left of centre) party emerging with any serious policies against mass migration. Centrist parties are inherently neoliberal. So they are already conditioned to consider people to have no value other than their productive output. They are funded by construction companies, corporations and other investors with an interest in endless mass migration. And their policies are influenced if not outright written by NGOs who again have an interest in encouraging endless mass migration and its discontents.

Nothing will emerge from that other than more and more mass migration against the interests of the Irish people. At best, there would be rhetoric around election time which is then completely dismissed until the next election.

The reality is that the supposedly sensible centrists have been totally captured by a radical open borders ideology which is encouraging a mass migration policy where the ethnic Irish are already less than 3 quarters of the population, and falling. Ordinary people can have a concern about that, but the centrist parties are not going to rebel against their donors money and the NGO's setting their policy goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The reality is that the supposedly sensible centrists have been totally captured by a radical open borders ideology which is encouraging a mass migration policy where the ethnic Irish are already less than 3 quarters of the population, and falling. Ordinary people can have a concern about that, but the centrist parties are not going to rebel against their donors money and the NGO's setting their policy goals.

It will take an army of people who are immovable rocks, genuinely strong willed people, who never cede an inch of ground when attacked from above, to actually get anywhere, and sadly I think that the nation is lacking those types of people. Supporters are as much of an issue too, as there's posters here who would buckle and withdraw their support the minute the smear campaigns start. And those campaigns are a guarantee no matter how well said hypothetical party presents itself, so the people have to accept that reality and anticipate it, for us to have any hope.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

That's the problem right there. We need a party to stand up without the bigotry, racism and extremism. Opposing immigration doesn't have to mean you are racist. It's all about scarce resources, economics, letting any Tom Dick and Harriet in with little or no education is bad for everyone here regardless of their ethnicity. What's wrong with the Canadian points system?

It's like that Ray Liotta movie (RIP) if you build it they will come. And with Brexit it's going to be worse. Enough is enough, no more economic refugees swindling their way in, deport immigrant criminals. No more free rides whilst the rest of us work our asses off to support them. Follow the Canadian system, merit based. Age, occupation (changing every year based on the country's needs), ability to support yourself. And for the love god clear out the majority of the NGO gangsters that lobby and control our politicians.

Ireland's voting system ensures extreme policies and extreme parties, don't capture much backing from the electorate, who is inherently centrist.

For example, a NP candidate may indeed capture a large share of first preferences during a first round of counting, however unless they get over the quota, they are likely to not get elected as those favouring alternatives are unlikely to give them a #2, #3 etc for later rounds e.g. a SF voter is more likely to give a #2 to a FF candidate or another SF candidate and so on.

FPTP etc systems allow for more extremes as these are the voters that often swing an election. Not a smart way to run a society, catering to the extremists, regardless of side

Its why FPTP never gained hold here despite some parties (FF) trying to implement it way back in order to turn Ireland into a de-facto 2 party system. The electorate rejected such a proposal back in 1958 (51.8% against) and again in 1968 when FF tried again but it was more widely rejected the second time (60.8%).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Covid 19 proved that Irish people won't support anything which isn't deemed socially respectable, so political parties who support tighter immigration policies have poor prospects of growth

Twisted it... by saying that you worked with (not for) an NGO.

In any case, this is a deflection from you, in a long long road of deflections. I'll leave it here because it's obvious you're not going to deal with the my query.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

This.

Look at the opprobrium meted out to Peter Casey by the Media, Leftist and Centrist politicians, and the NGO Industrial Complex when he made a couple of pretty innocuous statements related to Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

I wouldn't mind those sorts of people at all. Anyone that pleads for self destruction checked their autonomy out long ago.

They do what they're told and in a different environment they'd be out burning witches and hunting Jews with as much gusto. Fickle, like leaves in the wind.

Forgetting any immediacy, the future is sustainability, and migration is the pinnacle of unsustainability and is precisely why we are where we are.

The backlash against it all will be ferocious because it is driven by necessity, not ideology. Try to preach to a starving man about not eating food, try to preach for more people with decreasing resources. Same result.

I've been in some interesting situations with some worthily influential people and have had long, long debates as to the future and sustainability. Why should a country with fewer resources, like a desert, be content versus a country rich in resource? It's easy to say that it should be all shared and people should leave the desert country. Long story short is that it isn't the way forward. People should tend to what they have and make the most of what they've got to hand, and in doing so, every part of the planet is micromanaging it's territory to the highest efficiency, thereby achieving true sustainability, lifting everyone up in voluntary cooperation rather than dragging everyone down in forced integration. Like cells in an organism each doing their job for the benefit of all.

Forgetting that, this country is going to go through a phase of extreme difficulty. The best hope is that it emerges differently and casts off the prehistoric notions of migration. It's only good for for one thing now and that's building pyramids that collapse catastrophically.

It will end because it must end.

In May 2019 while making a speech in Dunboyne, County Meath during the campaign, Casey was filmed declaring "The face of Ireland is changing. People say 'you’re racist'. Of course I'm racist, I'm a very proud Irish man". When questioned about this statement on The Floating Voter Podcast, a series run by the Irish Independent he said that he makes “no apologies” for describing himself as a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

It'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

"A pyramid scheme is a fraudulent system of making money based on recruiting an ever-increasing number of "investors."

Change "investors" for "migrants".

Price pressure introduced by too many people means mucho profits for the top of the pyramid, senor. Everyone else loses, of course. Society loses.

"Multiculturalism" is the propaganda arm of this scam.

Advertisement