Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was referred immediately when I diagnosed a long time ago. Now I am close to a hospital with a dedicated diabetic unit so that may be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭uli84

Omg isn’t a GP Fee like around 60€ these days? Charging 80€ just because you have diabetes is seriously not on…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Question please, anyone know what H1AC levels can cause circulation problems in the feet/toes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The multiple units in use don't make it easy to know what's bad but, 7%, 54mmol/MoL, 158mg/dl, 8.7mmol/L are all in and around the same glucose concentration.

My Endo varies between reporting in mmol/MoL & or %. The target for keeping healthy as long as possible is 54mmol or better. The damage is cumulative, high levels long term damage the small blood vessels. The higher the hba1c, the faster the damage accrues but, any elevated hba1c long term will have a detrimental effect.

• Advertisement

Diabetes and me are having a fall out. I have a chronic pain issue that is quite life limiting and debilitating. Only pain relief that touches it really is Oxy and while it works I don't like taking it unless absolutely necessary.

IV Keral was the only other pain relief that had any real impact and thanks to Diabetes, NSAIDs were only ever given in hospital.

I got a nailed down diagnosis a few weeks confirming that front treatment was NSAID but Endo has said no to that. So now I have to get to grips with pain management and limitation that the condition and the lack of NSAID are going to impose.

Pain in the Bollox, quite literally at times 😉

In other Diabetes related news, my GP was blown away by the level of detail available from my Dexcom G6 tied into Xdrip+ and tidepool. He loved the trending, time in range and the units per kg data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Rookie question here (12 years as a diabetic!). When carb counting do I count the total carbs or the sugars only?

I have been told this years ago but over the years have slipped into guestimating the amount of carbs I am eating and I have forgotten the basics. I cant seem to get any dose correct these days. I had a bowl of porridge this morning, weighed it out on the scales, allowed for some milk but shot down low about 2.5 hours later. I went with the full carb total as per the pack.

Does anyone else have a problem with delayed absorption of carbs causing a drop soon after dosing but returning with an almighty high a few hours later when the insulin has largely worn off? I have this a lot with different types of food and it is very hard to does correctly for.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Total carbs I think, as that's what the insulin acts on. If it's any comfort, my carb to insulin ratio went all over the place during the pandemic; less exercise, far more sitting with WFH, etc. Has reverted somewhat to the previous baseline now but I found myself doing a hell of a lot more guesstimating during the period. I have an appointment coming up next month with the dietician in the clinic - if you have a similar option you should definitely have a chat with them.

Also, high fat content delays the absorption of carbs. For high fat/high carb foods like pizza or indian food, splitting the insulin dose can be a good idea. Again, I'd probably talk to a dietician before doing too much experimenting though.

Can splitting the dose be done on a pump? I use the dual and square delivery modes but these do not solve the problem either.

I was going low just before lunch, 7 but arrows pointing down. I had a bagel for lunch, worked out the carbs as about 45g. Took the appropriate dose for this amount of carbs. Blood rose for 1 hour, then an almost mirror image descent for the last hour and getting a low warning at 7 again now with a load of insulin still on board. I presume this must be my carb to insulin ratio that is incorrect.

• Advertisement

Don't know re the pump tbh. I'd talk to someone about the insulin/carb ratio, but another possibility may be slightly too high a long-acting dose? Pure speculation on my part so I'd definitely speak to a professional. Also, everyone's parameters are different - I'd need to be down around 4 before I'd consider myself going low.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

You can manually do it. Not ideal though

as above I’d be looking at basal rates. You should be able to deliver everything at once.

When are you due an upgrade? The 780 is really helpful

I should be due an upgrade around now but I had a plastic ring crack where the insulin vial sits into the pump about a year ago. They replaced the full pump immediately so they say my pump is now only 1 year old so not ready for an upgrade for 3 years!

I’d double check that. Usually the replacement is a refurbished model. So you should be due an upgrade now. Is it your clinic saying this or Medtronic?

The clinic. I might look into it. They have not been much help with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Folks. Got the Dexcom G6 last year haven't flown with it yet is it safe to go through X-Ray scanner or will it get damaged?

Not flown with it yet myself either, but Dexcom say it's grand.

Yeah I’d bring it up to them when you originally got it. Don’t tell them about the replacement. Just says it been 4 years and you’re do an upgrade.

Turns out I have almost a year before I am due for an upgrade. The lady in Medtronic said the replacement pump does not count so at least that is something. Apparently there is a backlog of people waiting for pump upgrades due to covid and now probably Putin causing a shortage of raw materials so even if I was due one now I would not be able to get one straight away anyway. Booked in with the dietician anyway to get a bit of a refresher on carb counting and dietary advice, its been a while since I went over things.

We are applying for a mortgage at the minute and we applied for mortgage protection insurance and also illness cover and a few other bits and pieces they were offering. It was an expensive premium that I was offered but I thought it worth it for peace of mind. I thought the insurance company would probably not give me the level of cover I applied for but I thought I might get something. They came back yesterday and refused me everything but the basic mortgage protection policy.

I know we are high risk but is this standard policy for insurance companies?

I was willing to pay a high price but to get no cover is a bit disappointing. I am not 100% sure if I am even getting the mortgage protection cover, they are requesting a report from my GP so I dont know where that could go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes two weeks ago. I received a prescription which said 1 Months Supply of glucose test strips but the pharmacy only gave me a packet of 50. Testing 4 times a day + the few I messed up getting used to it means I'll need to get more tomorrow.

Could anyone shed some light how this works? Should I ring the diabetic clinic and get a new prescription or can/do I just buy them out of my own pocket?

Sorry this is all very new to me. Cheers

Ring the clinic and get an increased prescription definitely but don't get caught out in the interim. If you go to the pharmacist they should be happy to provide you with an extra box or two on the Long Term Illness (LTI) scheme before a new prescription arrives. You shouldn't be out of pocket for the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you should you have no problem getting more strips from the pharmacist on the prescription you. There is a limit on the amount of strips dispensed to Type 2 diabetics but there is no limits for Type 1s.

Also, sorry to hear about the diagnosis but 13+ years after diagnosis, I can safely say that it's not the end of the world. It's a pain in the #ss but it's very manageable and won't stop you doing anything you want to do.

Thanks All!

Definitely a shocker being told you're diabetic while being rushed to A&E while DKA but it explains so many of the issues I've been facing these last few months and already feel like a new person after starting on insulin.

Definitely been a few tearful moments and a real eye opener how much of our lives revolve around food-events.. seriously... I don't think food has been off my mind once these last few weeks!

Thanks again for the help!

Hi all, had my yearly visit to the endo this week. HBA1C down to 45 from 52 in 6 months after doing DAFNE so I am delighted with that, is 45 the target range or is it 40 I can't remember?

Have started the gym in the last month and have noticed the weight isn't coming off and I'm putting it down to insulin, so I have started to reduce my carb and insulin intake mainly at breakfast and sometimes lunch. I've heard in the past it's difficult to shift weight when taking insulin(maybe if it's over a certain amount per day)

Anyone have any advice on weight loss? What works or what doesn't work as T1 diabetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Well done. 45 good result but should be below 40.

Thanks, i recall them telling me on the DAFNE course that there was no benefit getting it below a certain level...must find dig out the book again.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

We are still evolving and no one knows for sure if there any benefits, but new studies suggests that there are certain benefits to keep your a1c as low as possible. Reduce; inflammation, harmful viruses, including covid, cancer.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, hope everyone is keeping well!

I decided to self fund purchase a Libre today while waiting to see the consultant and hopefully be prescribed a CGM long term.

I have read you can claim the vat back through revenue but the receipt from the pharmacy just says DISPENSED GOODS and doesn't have any VAT details or state what the item is, am I out of luck claiming this back then?

Thanks!

Advertisement