Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dyldo93

@mtb_sends and @laoisgem fair! Thanks a million for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

I can't remember. I think I was traumatised after those tests 😂 From what I've read, you just need to pass the numerical as that score isn't counted towards your OOM. Doing well in the other 2 is what gets you a good score.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

While this has been true in the past the recent interdepartmental HEO competition ran by PAS was only verbal and numerical with both scores counting towards your OOM.

Would this always have been the case with the HEO competition?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

No, it's the first time I've seen it from any PAS competition at any grade. EO and HEO previously were always verbal and situational combined to get OOM and only a pass in numerical required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 anmrh2018

Could someone give me an example of what "achievement" there are giving in employment history section?

first time I have seen that listed, its normally just the duties & responsibilities

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

Maybe a random question but would anyone know what the age range of a typical applicant would be for this? I'm thinking of a career change from teaching, but at 36, am wondering if I'm a bit too old to apply for this and if they'd look more favourably at younger applicants.

All ages apply for these competitions. I know many who came into the civil service in their 40's and 50's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Left teaching myself to join civil service. Far less stress. Of the few who started with me, all were over 30. Few in their early 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭newbie18892

Just submitted my application. I narrowly missed out on the 2020 campaign as I didn't meet the competency cut-off points after the interview. Fingers crossed that this time around I have a bit more luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hello, I was hoping for some pointers on the EO Application form if anyone could spare a minute? On the form do you need to outline how you meet each of the 6 competency criteria?

The form asks you to outline your Responsibilities and Achievements for roles which you worked, but nothing is mentioned about the competencies. I only ask because the separate information booklet makes mention of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lauren12345

Same here, I think i'm going to try and fit a competency into each of the employments. Its max 4000 words on each once. I wonder will we have a competency based application at a later stage or is this it. Can anyone who has already submitted application give any pointers please and thanks.

for 2020 application the competencies with examples were for interview stage....what you listed as your role/ duties/ responsibilities were asked about in the interview and you were to expand with examples in line with competencies listed

Application is different this year, its generally a PDF form you populate and for each employment asked for "list of duties, salary, etc.,"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lauren12345

Yeah im lost its the word count that has thrown me was just going to do general list of duties and put in some achievement but that only came to 200/4000 words. So do u think there will be a competency application prior to interview 🤔 @anmrh2018

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

I'm currently a Clerical Officer from the 2020 Panel and have applied for this one. From experience, the application form doesn't tend to ask about competencies because they save that part for the interview. Literally all the questions I had in my interview were all about the competencies apart from the introduction and any questions I had at the end. I feel like if the application were to focus on them, they would have specified this. I feel that the application form is more of a formality but also gives the interviewers an overview into your background so that they have an idea of what sort of work you will be speaking about. In the introduction for my CO interview, they went through my background saying things like, I see you went to college here and then began to work here etc... By all means, mention them in your application if you want to or if you want to bulk it up a bit but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it, especially cos the deadline is this Thursday!

Post edited by imagusaran on

@lauren12345 what normally follows is an assessment questionnaire…work situations that you answer questions on then numerical, verbal assessments, then an etray exercise and then interview

the achievements part of it has thrown me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Any reason to add any other education other than degree like leaving cert?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭divillybit

I filled out the 2022 application a few days ago just to be in the system again but I did an interview for the 2020 campaign last week. Haven't heard how I did yet. I had the 2022 application filled out in a few mins and didn't include much about achievements. Given the number of applicants I doubt PAS will look closely at what it written in the application form, it's just to get you enrolled in the system. It seem to me the application form gets looked at when you reach interview stage. You might put a lot of work into the application form but it won't matter a jot as ultimately its your OOM results from doing the various tests like the numerical / verbal reasoning and etray will be what decides if you progress or not. Just be sure to have an application of some description submitted before the closing date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭CiboC

I went into the CS from the last EO competition (2020), and I'm in my early 50's.... If you get through the tests and interview age doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭skidmarkoner

My current office is mostly people aged 30 and above.

I'm 30 and one of the youngest in the room. 36 is never to late to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm a civil service outsider and wondering is the role stressful? I'm guessing the positions are lightyears away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

Anyone advise where is best to practice the numerical and verbal reasoning tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Inmate2020

Not at all … there is a few young sprouts alright .. I moved from SE to civil service aged 40 . And in my dept section I think only 2 are younger than me 😆😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fonzy1991

I have applied for 2022 campaign too. There is 1 person ahead of me on OOM from the 2020 campaign, for my area of choice. I hope I get placed but placements are moving painfully slow.

Advertisement