Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I never said hunters don't use them. The gun manufacturers have done a great job with normalising military grade weapons.

By the logic you're using then grenades should be legal because they simple to operate and can take out animals that are tough to kill.

AR type rifles are simply not necessary, they have been marketed to make fools spend their money on them to feel a little like rambo and those same fools value that feeling over the lives of children who are getting their faces blown off in their classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Stop. It's been decades since Columbine, and nothing substantial has happened. Las Vegas. Nothing.

Do you think the matter hasn't been discussed objectively? Something like 90% of US citizens favor a gun registry. No action. Lots of examples like this.

The only ones not acting objectively are the gun nuts, and using their minority position to stack the SCOTUS with RCC members who are pro-2A and worthless when it comes to rights for actual live people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

The more vulnerable getting hurt is always going to raise people's ire that much more. That's why it's 'woman and children first' and not 'last one in the lifeboat's a rotten egg'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

look they could be right on the numbers, they could be wrong, theres a 20k difference in numbers, I can see where they got the number

i never said its say as risky as say being a diver welding on oil rigs

its riskier than say sitting in an office chair, posting **** on boards all day

its say 4 times riskier than the average job, so risky, yes

also, a lot of job are risky because of stupidity, rather than say the chances of being shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Of course it matters more you fool. It's children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Being a bit pedantic the animal that kills most humans in Australia is other human beings.

Also in Australia it would be fecking hard shootin those funnel webs and red backs, but I am sure the American gun companies would find a way of convincing fools there was a gun for the job.

I find it hard to believe someone would hunt those animals with a 22.

There is great chance you don't get a clean kill and leave the animal in pain.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

If you acted perfectly in every situation, little to no harm would ever come to you. I think that when we talk about the riskiness of a job, human error is implied.

no no, some jobs don't take safety seriously

I mean roofers are a great example, in ireland little precaution taken for the risk with plenty of safety precautions you could take

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The US is to quote a US movie "is going full retard".

How any sane nation or sane state can consider background checks on prospective gun owners, never mind often high calibre rapid rate of fire weapons (and yes a semi auto with a big magazine is rapid fire when compared to old fashioned weapons) to be effectively inconsequential is beyond me and most people in the rest of the world.

A lot of people in the US appear to be living in a continous state of fear and another chunk are living with a constant hatred of any one but their own group.

The media and Hollywood in particular have created a myth where the only history that matters is the importance of the gun.

It started with eulogising the wild West and the place of the gun in it.

Of course they for the most part left out the fact that a lot of the gun fights involved people being shot in the back or that a hell of a lot of the cowboys were black.

Then moving into more modern times where every cop show or "shoot em up" movie involves more deaths and more weapons than one would find in the Donbas.

Often the excuse for these weapons in real life is the fear of central federal government. One would swear they lived under a dictatorship in the last couple of hundred years, never mind a democracy.

When was the last time they were invaded (and no don't count them loosing a few inconsequential island in the Aleutians please)?

Their kids are being slaughtered in school by effectively other kids which yes means there are huge mental issues not being resolved or recognised.

But if these young men, kids only a few years ago, did not have such easy access to high powered weaponary there would be way less carnage.

Yes they could still attack people with a kitchen knife but how many less would be hurt.

"The land of the free and the home of the brave" was always a questionable slogan with the way they treated minorities and new arrivals, but nowdays it could be more apt to say "the land of the fearful and the home of the moron".

Sorry if that offends some of our American brethren, but fook me how can you condone the slaughter of 19 kids aged between 8 and 11 by doing nothing to rectify the failings.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? You were provided the data for cops salary that doesn't even include overtime and pensions - it isn't a case of 'could be right or wrong'.

I am not talking about an oil rig diver, I'm talking about their jobs being less risky than a delivery driver and farmer. It is indeed a riskier job than sitting in an office chair but cops are paid significantly more than practically any other profession where there is basically no qualifications required.

Again, so far this year more kids died by guns in schools than US cops died by gunfire on the job.

Not sure you're watching too many TV shows but you're completely overblowing the risks they face.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ok.. And when Smith & Wessons stock does exactly the same thing on exactly the same day?

Still nothing to see here??

Trouble is we'll probably never get the truth through official channels either, providing some ripe ground for conspiracies to spiral and suck people in. The cops have changed pretty much every detail of the story compared to their earlier statements. And let's be honest, they're going to steer everything as far away from them being to blame as possible no matter what the truth is.

I can't relate to the level of self-control that man has.

neither do the other figures

its a risky job with an average wage, not incredibly well paid

Again, Farmers take stupid risks, it plays out in the numbers, it could be a lot safer if they chose

it is a risky job, no one said police was the riskiest, so what are you talking about

you do realize there is more to risk than just death

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So, being a cop in the US isn't a dangerous job. Would ya ever get ta fcuk.

107 cop deaths in the line of duty so far in 2022. Some were shootings, but most were other events, car crashes etc. https://www.odmp.org/search/year

And Texas doesn't exactly pay them a fortune. $46,786 to $57,615. Source: https://www.indeed.com/career/police-officer/salaries/TX

Yep, this is a base salary so cops can make more money if they do overtime, but so can a delivery driver or a farmer. Ziprecruiter.com says that in Texas, the average salary in the Average Jobs category is $56,536. So cops are barely making the average wage.

Fcuked if I'd be a cop over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,999 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cops tried to paint a picture of themselves as heroes , but the more that comes out paints them as cowards. On the scene for 80 minutes and stood by and did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well that’s it isn’t it? It’s all well and good for the Trumps of this world to let schoolkids be sitting ducks in a society where maniacs can get their hands on weapons capable of efficient mass murder, but he’s not too hot on the idea of putting himself in that position even if something something constitutional God-given right to bear arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This isn't Trump's doing. It's the Secret Service who make the rules. They did the same when Mike Pence (the US VP at the time) gave a speech in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This may have been mentioned before but the front page of this online satirical paper says it all.

Apparently they have the same headline after every mass shooting but put them all together for this one.

I never said it wasn't dangerous, just not as dangerous as it was being implied by the other poster (or yourself). Over half of those deaths you point to were due to COVID - which the cops actively resisted being mandated to wear masks and to get vaccinated (if posters want to talk about utter stupidity causing death at work).

What farmer gets paid by the hour? Delivery drivers in the US don't get time and a half like most cops do. You also ignored their gold plated pensions.

The average salary you point to includes all levels of education. Cops generally have no qualifications aside from finishing high school so a much better comparison is against other jobs that require no qualifications, like the average fast food worker $27,618.

No is saying you or would want to be a cop - the fact is that they are extremely well paid for their qualifications and many members of the public work in more dangerous professions.

They are openly admitting to be okay with officers lying as well (if it wasn't already clear about how regularly they've lied in the past regarding incidents where they look bad). Unfortunately the media and most of the public take everything they say as being the truth.

no you are making things up

4 times riskier than average job

risky, tick

its not just deaths again

average wage, tick

delivery driver is the shitest of the shitiest job and so is being a delivery driver, the kind of thing you do on a temp basis

its pretty normal for events to slightly off in the heat of the moment, you do realize this, perhaps they shouldn't do a press conference until they have the picture but I'm sure the likes of yourself would be crying for a cover up

Ah yeah, usual legalistic/cop/political standards really.

A person with no lawyer isn't allowed to sleep before a coerced confession can then be convicted purely on that confession.

Cop trying to cover his ass is allowed tell as many lies as he likes because he's human and misremembers but the plebs don't get anything like that.

Weird though how the changes and corrections pretty much all go in one direction.

which direction?

Something like this will usually be handled badly, human nature

panic disorder mixed messages

no matter how well trained people like to make out they are

ask the SAS for instance, even planned operations turn to **** inevitably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I've read in today's Indo that a boy who survived the massacre said that a a cop told children to say if they needed help. Someone in the boy's group did that and Ramos overheard it and killed a 10-year-old girl and shot at the cop and then the cops returned fire.

If Ramos had been supposedly contained in the classroom in which he apparently barricaded himself then how was he able to kill a child when the cops were already in the building?

I think that it's possible that some cops who arrived at the scene will be charged with manslaughter.

Advertisement