Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's about 4 years between BCS (2004) and BB (2008).

Let's not forget that as much as they try to stick to continuity, they will recon or change things if they need to in order to serve the story they're currently telling. Mike's granddaughter's age is all over the place because they needed her to be able to have coherent conversations with Mike in BCS to service his story, whereas really she should have been maybe 5 or 6 years old based on her age in BB.

A few throwaway lines in BB will be sacrificed as just being a joke or probably a lie Saul told in BB if it doesn't tally with his story in BCS. No hints at Kim or his feelings about her in BB can be explained as the years having passed or also just Saul was never mates with Walt or Jesse and never talked about anything like that. Jimmy is the person, Saul is the persona. He had no reason to drop the mask like that with Walt/Jesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When Saul was created in BB they had no idea how popular he would become and that he'd eventually get his own show.

Now they have created his own spin off they have to make it entertaining and watchable.

I don't think watching a lawyer handle petty crime cases or dealing with paperwork would be good TV.

They've a great job in showing how Saul became what he is in BB and just judge BCS on its own merits and forget about BB.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Kim is his third wife. He mentioned his previous too marriages to the registrar when he was marrying Kim, most likely to be consistent with that line from BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Some are saying they found the ending surprising/shocking ... but c'mon, as soon as we saw that candle flicker, before Howard even entered, we thought of Lalo - then it happened to be Howard, but that candle flickered yet again - we knew what was coming. And once Lalo entered, it was never going good for Howard was it? He was never letting him leave - it was quite blunt how they did it, and a bit of a 'shock' moment yes, but we still knew it was coming

• Advertisement

I think people are saying that from further back, that before the episode or even for the first half of the episode, the idea that Lalo and Howard would even end up in the same room as each other would have seemed ridiculous. The shock/surprise came from how things lead to the ending, but also just the brutality and speed at which Lalo just dismissed Howard like he was nothing, even though we as viewers have been watching him for so long.

Yeah I guess/agree - I mean I never put Howard and Lalo together in a scene in any way prior to this. But I'm saying as an end to the mid-season, after we know Lalo is out, and then Howard on the war path - not all too surprising, as I say, once we know - there's no major surprise, Howard is never leaving that apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I knew/strongly felt that Howard was never getting out of that apartment alive. But I didn't think it was going to be Lalo. I had imagined something like Howard taking out a gun, or Kim picking up a knife or something.

The fact that Lalo had been to the apartment before done it for me soon as I saw Kim startled a little by the first candle flickr - I thought it'd be Lalo first tbh, was more surprised it was Howard! But my mind was already there at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Given the hints the show gave, the viewer knew it not going to end well for Howard.

And like I said to a poster a good few weeks back who was complaining - they wanted less Howard more Cartel. I said it was likely the two would intertwine eventually - be patient etc.

For those who follow the hints closely. There was a vague idea where it was headed. But the drama was in its ‘execution’.

The viewer did not know if Howard would reach breaking point and attack Kim? Would Lalo intervene? Remember when Howard said to Kim - ‘But you…’ I thought he was going to hit her with the bottle at one stage.

The viewer did not know if It would be Kim executed or Howard. Or both? Or would Howard ‘do a Nacho’? I was thinking all these things.

I found the ending very dramatic as the viewer knew trouble was coming - but did not know ‘How..?’ As Jimmy said himself.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Petty crime would be interesting I reckon lots of interesting angles

Where did all this derision for the chicken man emanate,I remember the meeting where his partner was murdered and they derided him there , is it a Mexican thing with chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Basically because Fring is seen as a outsider by the Cartel. Muscling in on Don Eladio's patch with no proper 'respect'.

Fring is not viewed as one of them, but is tolerated because he is a good earner. Now when you add in his 'lifestyle choice' that was hinted at a few times with his murdered 'Chicken Brother' - the Cartel found plenty of reasons to sneer at Fring.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I responded to what posted.

Learn to form complete sentences and then maybe you can talk talk about communication.

As for me, the waiting I will be doing is for the shows return. Sad that yours is to prove a point.

I know Mike frequently mentioned his granddaughter in Breaking Bad but I thought they never actually showed them.

Was Kerry Condon in it?

I have a Mike question - does he ever take of his jacket? He always has it on when babysitting like he is ready to get out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Wasn't sure on that particular moment being it but Howard was never getting out of the show alive.

I hated how it ended for Howard but you couldn't have picked a better way to do it. To verbally nail Jimmy and Kim for the scum they had become while still showing his inherent decency when he realised what had become a dangerous situation.

Both his and Nacho's exits were done to perfection I think.

I had a a very similar thought.

Lalo and the cockroach - he is going to Jimmy

But then Howard turned up and I thought “oh no, Lalo is coming” but during the conversation there is a look on Kim’s face - I can’t quite describe what I thought it was - but for a moment I thought Howard will say something and she will push him or Ock up a bottle.

It only a brief doubt but that is why the scene is so good and the death so shocking. It kept changing what I thought would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watching this scene from Breaking bad the relief he shows when he knows it's not Lalo sending the boys to kill him ties in with the apartment scene, btw those saying nah. Jimmy doesn't care enough about Kim and could move on and become Saul Goodman I find it very hard to believe

Also nice introduction meeting with Saul and Walter. Saul is at the top of his game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well, have to admit I never got the cockroach reference.

But the apartment scene, the candle first time, I thought for sure it was Lalo, which I'm sure we were meant to think, thus lulling me into a false sense of relief when Howard walked in. But the instant the candle flickered a second time I went " oh no!!". At that very moment, Howard became a witness, there was definitely no way out. Thought the acting was supreme by them all.

I'm starting to come to terms with a very simple fact: in the BCS world, there's no room for sentimentality. They're even turning the screws on Jimmy and Kim, by which I mean, they're chipping away at my sympathy for the pair of them. In a roundabout kind of way, aren't Jimmy and Kim ultimately responsible for the final destruction of Howard. After all, its their machinations that delivered Howard to them that evening, and their willingness to dabble on the dark side with being 'a friend to the cartel' , which put Lalo and Howard in the same room - however unintentionally that was.

There's a lot of loose ends needing to be tied up now. Howard can't simply vanish. Lalo obviously needs Jimmy, but not Kim - except perhaps as a lever. He can't kill Kim, as I'm pretty sure (shouldn't be doing this to myself) that Jimmy would fold if that happened. Kim gets a vacuum cleaner service...

Who'll tidy up the murder scene? Mike and his guys? A trap for Mike? It backfires and bye bye Lalo? But Jimmy thinks Lalo is alive in BB. Thinks.

I'm getting dizzy 😵.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

You want to talk about Saul at the top of his game this is it. :D

Only the very best.....with just the right amount of dirty.

Do we want a happy ending for Jimmy and Kim? I do but I know a lot don't think they deserve one, I think as both have been possibly disappeared and separated for years it could be enough of a punishment for them. The two small teasers released for the second half of the season are interesting

• Advertisement

When making Breaking Bad they obviously had a fairly detailed backstory for Jimmy.

There is no “roundabout way” in Howard’s fate - Jimmy and Kim are 1000% responsible. ;)

Even if Howard didn’t end up dead what the pair did to him was reprehensible. He had done nothing to deserve any of it.

They showed the granddaughter a couple of times, most notably when he brings her to the playground but Walt alerts him that the cops are coming for him, and he ends up leaving her at the playground. Didn't show Kerry Condon though because she wasn't cast for it, they just had an unnamed woman waving from a door when he dropped her off one time. They didn't know they were going to be doing BCS. Likewise with your later post about how the writers obviously had an detailed backstory for Saul, thats unlikely, because they didn't know how long or how much Saul would be in the show, or that they'd end up doing BCS.

Jesse was supposed to die in Season 1 of BB. Saul was originally only supposed to be in 4 episodes to link Walt to Fring. Odenkirk wasn't available to shoot the fourth episode so they created the character of Mike. They liked the character and actor for Mike so they kept him. They realised Walt and Jesse would need legal and money laundering advice so kept Saul too. Saul became part of the comic relief for the show because Hank's character was becoming more of a serious character with his PTSD.

While there's obviously a lot of planning and setting things up for stories and characters, these things evolve over time. Plans change. Small characters evolve into having bigger roles.

The idea that they had any idea of Jimmy's background and history that we've seen in BCS when they were making Breaking Bad is ludicrous.

I know that Better Call Saul wasn’t planned during Breaking Bad. I was just wondering if Mike’s family had appeared in speaking roles.

I’m not suggesting that they had Jimmy’s entire life mapped during Breaking Bad. Of course they didn’t - it is a ridiculous notion.

What I was saying is that they must have had a detailed (doesn’t mean everything) backstory where they create incidents to use like someone out to get him. This is the kind of thing writers do on TV shows even if the character isn’t in for the long haul.

The level of detail in Better Call Saul - they aren’t just making random **** up as they go along. Was probably the same on Breaking Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

"I responded to what posted.

Learn to form complete sentences..."

Wow 😆

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

A Howard tribute. Credit to the writers and Patrick Fabian for bringing to life a fascinating character

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

He really went out with a bang!

Really enjoyable episode. Top drawer acting and some of the shots were great to watch

The truth, as is usually the case with internet disagreements, lies somewhere in the middle. My point is that these things are fluid. They plan ahead, but change and adapt as needs be. They might have some ideas for background elements of a character's backstory, but can change it if they need. They might have little to no elements of a small character's history bar what's needed for what they know they're going to put on screen, but as the character develops, they develop a backstory to suit.

Saul was introduced as a small part to act as a go-between and introduction to Fring, because that served Walt's story. As it developed and they liked the character, he became their lawyer. Some hints are made towards his history but only in passing because it didn't serve Walt & Jesse's stories, and lines like about his second wife just because it added to Saul's character. Lines about being worried that Walt & Jesse were sent by Lalo and him trying to blame Ignacio for whatever happened, that was just to show how shady and crooked Saul was behind the veneer of being a lawyer. It all gives hints about the type of person Saul is to build his character in service of Walt & Jesse's story, but any kind of details about what happened with Lalo/Ignacio/his ex-wives wouldn't have been given much thought until it was needed. If for example during Breaking Bad they needed a storyline where someone is after Saul, then they likely would have come up with something involving characters named Lalo and Ignacio. But as it happens, it became useful for BCS instead, and by the end we'll probably have a better idea why Saul said that line in BB (but that's because they're developing BCS to suit the line of dialogue, not because they had any real plans for what it fully meant in BB).

And as another example, Nacho's role in BCS was supposed to be different, he was supposed to essentially be the bad guy of season 1 and regularly come up against Jimmy, but then they decided to have Jimmy fight with his brother more instead and wait on Nacho. But Nacho's role then developed into less of an antagonist and less involved with Jimmy overall.

So what I'm saying is, they're not just making it up as they go along, but nor do they have detailed explanations about small characters backstories. They develop the characters as much as is needed to suit the story and characters at the time, but are adaptable, because even things committed to film aren't always set in stone (like Kaylee's age).

Totally, but I feel it more a case of Howard being their best route to a Sandpiper conclusion, with a recklessness as to how he would be personally affected. Remember how they justified it to themselves when they discussed how it would be a serious blow to his standing, but that he would eventually come back from it. They even tried the caffeine out on Jimmy to be sure it would work, and were reassured by the vet that there would be no long term physical affects on Howard. What I meant about the roundabout way, was that there was no way they could have predicted Lalo killing Howard, but that they were 'guilty by association' if you get me.

Not only did Howard not deserve what they did, he's the one that would have made Jimmy's career for him, given the opportunity. Which was confounded by Jimmy's inexorable slide into the unsavoury character he will (or already has) become.

Had another thought about the whole thing since my previous post. In a lot of US drama, the nearest you see to redemption is the bad guy saying sorry as they lead him to the gallows. No reuniting with the missus in a Cinnabon in the mid-west. Uh-oh. Hell, in this one even the GOOD guys are cashing in their chips.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you know I'm definitely NOT looking at that video 🤣.

I think Jimmy and Kim are a dangerous combination - to themselves as much as anyone else. I think she's going back to marry a mechanic (didn't she say something like that when talking about her past ? Or was that Hillary Clinton - who remembers that joke??). But Jimmy.... he's been rumbled as Gene in Omaha. That can't bode well. I said, way back, that I wanted redemption for Jimmy. By which I mean he returns to being Jimmy, having paid his debt to society. The more often I say that to myself, the less likely it seems.

Advertisement