Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footbath Chemicals

• 27-05-2022 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

This has probably been asked a thousand times but what chemicls do you recommend for a walk through footbath as oppossed to one where the sheep can stand in for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

formalin, nasty stuff and you need to be careful. if you cant hold sheep in a pen it works well just running them through

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

Is copper sulphate any good? It can be reused which is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Copper sulphate will rot all your steel, especially galvanise.

Zinc sulphate if you're going that way, but they have to stand in it too. It can be reused if it dooesn't get diluted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone try the formaldehyde blend? It’s formaldehyde with a small inclusion of copper and zinc sulphate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Jimbo789

I had a good few dry hoggets get scalds in the last week, so footbathed them this evening with Formalin by walking them slowly through footbaths in a crush. Left them standing on a gravel lane for an average of 30 minutes before letting them back out in the field.

I noticed one ewe was staggering around, walking like she was drunk, falling down and getting up and falling down again. I suspected it was something to do with the toxic fumes. I dash half a bucket of water on her face and she shuck herself and seemed a bit better. By the time I was letting her back in the field she seem back to normal and grazing from the ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

formalin should be banned,its proven it causes cancer and leaves sheeps feet hard and brittle

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

What's best practice for disposing of Copper sulphate solution?

Advertisement