Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a DeWalt battery electric strimmer?

Options
  • 20-05-2022 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭

My wife wants a small electric strimmer that she can use. I've a couple of petrol ones and they are too heavy for her and I'm not sure she could even start one?

I have a lot of DeWalt 18V XR tools and 4 and 5 Amp batteries so thought that getting her a DeWalt strimmer would be a good idea.

So I wondered if anyone had one or used one and had any opinions. This is the one I was thinking of https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dcm561p1s-gb-18v-5-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-outdoor-trimmer/243fy I don't need the battery that comes with it but it works out you get the battery for €42 as opposed to €96 so is a good deal. Really don't need yet another charger so don't even include that in the equation. If that one isn't very powerful I could go up to the 54V Flexvolt one.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Got the same one, bare tool a few months ago, plenty of power and not too heavy.

Bump feed and replacing the line is so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any problem with the split shaft? That joint looked to me like a weak point and possibley an annoying wobbly bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I have one for about a year now. Love it . Very easy to use. Definitely recommend it. Center joing hasn't caused any issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Yeah I have one and find it great. I only use it for light strimming around the lawns and flower beds and it's perfect for that. I use it with the 18v batteries mostly as the 54v ones throw the balance off I find.

Also got the deWalt hedge cutter and can't fault it either.

Thanks guys I would have ordered that by now only screwfix seem to be out of stock :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Next question anyone seen one of these online anywhere? Screwfix with battery was a good deal so looking for similar can get one locally for €329 but thats a lot more than €259 for the identical product from screwfix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I got mine there. Body only honestly can't remember how much but they are great to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Electric strimmers are great. I did three hours with my Makita DUR365UZ at the weekend and it was almost fun, so quiet and light, no ear muffs required.

Only issue is that I did have a bit of tingly hand afterwards so maybe should have used gloves to dampen the vibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

I have one a couple of years now .. and I've a fairly big garden .. I've a couple of batteries as I've a few dewalt tools.

it is quite, light and does the job .. I do get a dose of the shakes after an hour or so.

i got mine from Cauifield industrial and stock was always quite good

• Advertisement

Thanks all! Screwfix have it back in stock so I've ordered from them Click and Collect, still 3-4 days lead time, at €258.95 they were definitely the cheapest (Caulfield industrial were €250 + VAT) and I know from past experience Screwfix they are good at dealing with warranty issues.

I'll update how we get on with it.

Quick update (I might do a longer one later). Picked up this morning from screwfix and put the thing together before lunchtime.

6 Screws to fit for the handle and guard and 2 allen key bolts for the split shaft. You get the allen key but need a screwdriver (or torx head driver) for the 4 screws for the guard. Registered for the 3 year warranty.

Total weight for anyone interested is 4.62kg thats 3.6kg for the main strimmer and 0.62kg for the battery. It does feel very light. For me it does feel a bit out of balance. I'm used to a harness and finding the balance point to hook up the harness. No harness here and it does feel front heavy when held by the loop handle - even with the 5 Amp battery fitted.

Now there was nothing on screwfix website or the receipt or in the box but I'd read online there is a promotion when you buy this item for a free combi drill - do I need another combi drill - no, but its FREEEEEE :-) So googled for the promotion online and found it. Just filled it in and included the pdf receipt from screwfix so will see if I'm lucky - well not me my son he'll get a new drill if all goes well. (Purchase any qualifying kited outdoor & landscaping product between 31.03.2022 and 30.06.2022

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

enjoy !! I could do with a new drill !!

With regards to the balance - I find it ok .. I don't use a harness but to be fair I'd only be using it for 30-40 mins max at a time and like that I'd be doing little jobs in between so I'm putting it down quite a bit. With a battery tool it much easier than having to restart and engine each time

Just off out now to do a bit of strimming, said to my wife I was off out and she seemed a bit worried I was going to use here new strimmer :-)

As I'm actually brush cutting and chopping up brambles I'll stick to my petrol strimmer.

Advertisement