Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Indeed.

Besides which, the crazy construction timelines mean even the UK will be lucky to see new ones operational by the 2040's,far too late to figure into climate action plans.

But time is the critical thing. And on the campaign trail in “red wall” seats before the May elections, the prime minister, Boris Johnson, repeatedly promised building nuclear reactors “one a year for eight years”. Last week at the Conservative conference in Wales he was at it again – this time promising one on Anglesey and another at Trawsfynydd in Mid Wales.

Anyone who knows a little about nuclear reactors (current designs 10 years late and £10bn over budget) or about the prime minister’s other mega-projects – bridges across the Thames and Irish Sea, and an airport in the Thames estuary – is confident that this won’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If we started the process now, by the time we get a plant build it would be 2050 because it would be stuck in planning till then.

Plus the entire World at that stage would have moved to renewable anyway, why don't we just bite the bullet now? save ourselves money in the long term,

In the UK that is just Boris trying to buy votes, he knows they will never build those plants

We've wasted more than enough time discussing the idea of Nuclear in Ireland, but certain posters on here want us to waste years and billions of euros on this fools errand, time and money that would produce far more energy if we focused them on renewable energy and interconnectors.

It's almost like there was some kind of strategy by certain interests to delay any action that can actually transition our economy away from fossil fuels

People on here banging on about Nuclear are known as 'useful idiots'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

How is an opinion poll on nuclear energy that showed overall a 50% - 50% split and 60% of those 18 - 24 in favour populism ?

I would look on it from those percentages as an issue in a democracy that deserves serious debate rather than those ideologically opposed attempting to shut one down.

Practically ever large state infrastructure has had the same questions asked but that hasn`t prevented the vast majority of them going ahead. Some such projects may have affected certain parties percentage of the vote in a constituency, but nationally made very little difference. If a poll showed 80% opposed and 20% in favour then no political party would go anywhere near the subject. A 50% - 50% split and a 60% in favour from 18 - 24 year olds is a different ballgame though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"I think we need to remind you again"

Lol looks like I touched a nerve there!

"We"? Who is this royal 'we'?

Yeah in this instance I'm not talking about other political parties policies , I'm clearly referring to the disaster zone which is the green party policies here.

So again you seek to limit and control the discussion because you don't like anyone making any criticism of the green Party policies here. Why is that?

But to reiterate the thread title is " Green policies are destroying the country" or have you forgotten again? And yup the green party policies fall under that umbrella.

How about for once discussing the topic at hand and not continously having a go at posters and or dictating what you think posters here should or should not be all permitted to comment on? Or indeed If you don't like the discussion there are many options. Telling posters what they can comment on isn't one of them!

How can one be both anti-science and yet guided by science?

Its a conundrum!

Because people being in favour of something doesn't necessarily translate into that thing being a good idea worth pursuing. The government and many others have already investigated this and it's not practical for Ireland.

On the other hand, Offshore wind, which is something we are actually planning on implementing and we have significant natural advantages to work off, has 93% public support https://www.marei.ie/eirwind-offshore-wind-study/

Perhaps I missed it, but I do not recall any of the two major parties in government campaigning to ban LNG, nor from the comments of both their leaders, no great appetite for doing so since ?

You have been gone for a while, so maybe you missed it, but emailing Eamon over concerns is a waste of time if the experience of Barryroe is anything to go by. Indeed from personal experience of following your previous advice, so is emailing the Green Party. I put a few questions to them by email months ago and haven`t heard as much as a dickey-bird since. It seems to be endemic in that the belief is if you ignore then the problem goes away. Much like the E.U. directive on energy security.

Touched a nerve?

All parties fall under this thread. As I already posted.

I am in no interest of the usual back & forward rubbish you start. The point is valid.

Still trying to tell everyone solar only works 3 months a year ? just wondering

• Advertisement

Barryroe which is a company which share price is on the floor and multiple companies have dropped out of

No government in the World should invest in those chancers.....prehaps you missed that part?

We've wasted more than enough time discussing the idea of Nuclear in Ireland

Not at all. From the looks of it the discussion hasn't even started.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion about "fools errands". Oddly enough however, he only fool errands evident are those with the their heads firmly in the sand and who either bizarrely believe that a magical leap to 100% renewables can happen tomorrow or that we can do without a safe, secure and reliable source of energy in the period of transition to renewable energy generation. Especially when the rest of the world acknowledges that without that happening - much of green thinking on the topic is unicorn poop and fairy dust

Providing Ireland with a safe secure and reliable conventional source of non renewable energy unfortunately has been variously deflected and given the run around. We know that nuclear is one of the alternative solutions that could indeed offer a solution with increasing interest in nuclear and especially small scale nuclear energy generation and mounting calls from environmental voices to consider it

People on here banging on about Nuclear are known as 'useful idiots'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

Ah so back to name calling. Classy. Btw there's no reference to any discussion of nuclear energy generation here in your wiki link

The current popular " useful idiots" btw are extremist green advocates who are determined to make sure not only will you not be able to turn in the lights but that there will be no lights to turn on!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/04/01/extinction-rebellion-have-become-putins-useful-idiots/

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Not all technologies are created equal, some are more appropriate than others for a given set of criteria and the weighting of those.

Using all potential options "just because" would be a bonkers way of doing things and would quickly fall foul on a wide range of issues, not least of which are economic and environmental

There's you banging on about Barryroe share price and damming them to hell bizarrely again as if you had lost a fortune or something?

You do know that share prices can rise as well as fall yes?

You'll be therefore delighted to hear that Providence share price is on the rise ever since Mr Ryan got his finger out and the prospect of moving to fullscale production is now on the horizon.

Btw our government does not invest in exploration. Investment risk is borne by private investors unlike companies in the renewable energy sector who not only recieve direct subsidies from the public service levy but also recieve a guaranteed return regardless of demand. I strongly suggest you do a full root and branch look into some of these investment companies. I think you just might change your mind as to who the real chancers are.

Indeed, Providence have gone from 2.3 gbx per share to 2.47 gbx per share, still a LOOOOOONG way off their high of 864 gbx

For reference for those not aware, 1 GBX is slightly more than 1 British penny

I guess when a share price is that low, its hard to make it fall much further. We'll have to wait and see how their appraisal does, whenever they get around to it

Ahh I do love Sun journalism. At least you managed to find the share price. This tells the true story of them. Also as I reminded you before. Eamonn Ryan had nothing to do with the price dropping in 2019 or 2017

Post edited by brokenangel on

What is all this mud sling at Barryroe in aid off by a handful here ?

What is it to you, me or Eamon Ryan what price Barryroe`s share price is ? If he got burned on their shares that might be a personal reason for his handsitting, but not a good reason for a government minister. And where have you gotten this idea from that Barryroe are looking for an investment from the government, or is that just more attempts at mudslinging disinformation ?

This mudslinging has been going on so long now it just comes across as a paranoia without any stated basis. Would we not be much better with an E.U. recognised secure transitional energy source being piped into the country rather than the present unsecure source, or do the Irish Green party and their supporters want to ban all gas and we go cold turkey hoping to somehow reach this nirvana of a 100% dependable renewable energy without any transitional source ?

I wouldn't call it mudslinging, more a calibration of sorts as some would like you to believe PR are a major entity when in fact its a penny stock company with 2 paid employees.

To be honest, at this point I think I'd like to see them get their licence to carry out the appraisal just to shut up some of the conspiracy theorists here who think PR are going to save Ireland with a piddly little gas field and see them try to come to terms with how long it'll take PR to actually do anything (if at all) and how PR will only be focused on oil for the foreseeable future at Barryroe.

I'm guessing we'll be here in 10 years time, with lads claiming there'll be gas flowing any day now lol

LOL. You just cannot help yourself with the innuendos and mudslinging.

From all your worries on Barryroe`s share price you sound like a lad that bought high, then panicked and sold low and is now regretting it.

So you now understand that where "All parties do indeed fall under this thread" that I was specifically referring to the green party's current policy on transport which you've previously brought up yes?

Which brings us to your question "Touched a nerve?" I see there's some difficulties there like the last time when the use of " didn't get the nemo" previously caused some hillarious confusion. But no worries. "Touched a nerve" is simply another idium which describes how someone can get needlessly upset in response to a subject that they are overtly sensitive about in your case it seems to be any criticism of green party policies.

And no your point that posters can only comment on certain topics or aspects of topics is not a valid one regardless of how many times you repeat it.

• Advertisement

"mud sling"

Look at the share price, look at the information I have shared. That is hardly "mud sling", that is valid concerns that have to be raised on the company

After all if they get a license does anyone this these guys are competent enough to drill in the oceans around Ireland without causing an environmental disaster. From what I read on the company I have no confidence in them,

Ireland has had plenty of dodgy companies knocking around and nobody asked questions till it was too late. You seem to think people should shut up and just ignore the obvious issues

You have shares in the company or something?

Instead of providing anything to counter the information I have provided and other you seem to think attacking the poster and trying to laugh it off is the answer. It isn;t

You went off on another rant about Eamonn Ryan when nobody had mentioned Eamonn Ryan or the Green party at all. The other poster I replied to was talking about electric car v cycling.

The "touched a nerve" is just another in a long line of snide comments.

😅

Again the lack of apparent understanding how share prices work really is truly astounding. Indeed you may need to understand that share prices can rise and fall. And few investors would ever buy one share lol. They buy (or sell) multiples of shares - hence that's how investors can make (or lose) large amounts of money, where they buy shares when their cheap and sell them when they're dear!

With ER having inexplicably stonewalled the company for months over a decision on its Appraisal licence, its hardly surprising that the companies share prices were down from their previous high.

I guess Poor Eamon must be sobbing into his cornflakes to know that the overall trend for Providence shares prices is up. Though tbh I somehow doubt he's the only one who might be a little upset 😁

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Lol. You may read the Sun newspaper. I don't. Though that may possibly explain a lot of your comments 😁

But no there's no quote or link from "the Sun" just in case you're confused about that as well.

I'd suggest you go check out how share prices work. It might help.

Heres that screenshot for reference 👍

Plenty of people have mentioned the green party including you! However apparently no one else can mention them or offer any criticism lol.

And I replied in relation to your comments about Bicycles as a form of transport which if you remember is a major bugbear of Mr Ryans and one significant part of the green partys policy of which he is the leader! But perhaps not surprisingly you don't like that.

And its really not my fault if you don't understand commonly used idiums such as "didn't get the memo etc". But no bother

"sun journalism" is a saying, it means someone who clearly take part of the story to lie about the truth. Excellent example is you taking a snippet of a share price to try show it is increasing when in fact it is totally lost value. The hilarious part is a few days ago you didn't even understand how to read the share price of the company

You do understand the GBX meaning, yes?

That increase you highlight is 0.17 of a penny.... I'll say it again, 0.17 of a penny increase. We're not talking about the price increasing by pounds or pennies, we're talking about fractions of a penny.

Like I said, a long fall from their 800+ gbx high.

A hot stock it ain't

"Sun Journalism is a saying".

No its not! The Sun is a trademarked tabloid newspaper. Thats just you making a snide remark. Either provide a link to your new saying or get off the pot

The "snippet" is an official graph show the Companies current share price, which is rising. Which is the relevant bit btw. I know you obviously don't like that.

That you are going around accusing posters of lying is truly hillarious. And yes I know how to read share prices plus I knew the company existed prior to the discussion about Barryroe in this thread , which you evidently didn't lol.

And now not only are you an expert on the company, but you're an investment advisor as well 😂

• Advertisement

Sorry but you don't know how to read shares as you recently claimed the share price tanked due to Eamonn Ryan.

I never said I was an expert on the company so please don't lie. I also never said I was an investment advisor but a 5 year old could read that share price information.

I provided multiple links, which I had told you about before, which has huge questions over the company. I also provided the information that multiple companies had pulled out which also raises massive questions. The share price which you seemed totally unaware of while championing this company for a few months now is just the icing on the cake so to speak.

The attempt to take a snippet of the share price to show it was increasing....well

Advertisement