Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have a few cows to go, as I am restricted they will be going to the factory,talking to the agent today. R Grade LM cows, €5 /kg. Looking at the cow trade in Carnaross good heavy cows are make €3 / kg live free and ready. It mental money.. heifers aren't making any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IMO the majority of beef is being minced at present. Most restaurants now do fancy burgers costing 15-20 euro. Other restaurants are doing steak sandwiches @12++ euro. Steaks are 39 euro++. Another restaurant beef dish is slow braised beef.

A SuperValu/ McDonalds burger meal deal is 9-10 euro. Very little roast carvery's any longer. 300 grams if mince is 350-4 euro, 250 grams X 2 is 5 euro+. Roast beef is minimum 15 euro/ kg. Two AA/ HE steaks are 10 euro or more for striploin, fillet it ribeye. Sirloin is a couple of euro cheaper. That would be 400-450 grams fir two steaks.

Even though beef has gone upon price it's still good value. Chicken has absolutely rocketed up. Two breaded brest fillets are a fiver, whole chickens are 7-8 euro while three chicken breasts are 5-6 euro.

Butchers and supermarkets are adding value and charging for it. Ready to cook dishes for two people are 5+ each, while side veg dishes are 3 euro each. This is giving people a cheap option instead of a restaurant or a chipper.

Because of this the beef market is changing. However there is s premium being paid for AA and HE in the market. As most cow beef goes to the Continent it completing there. Beef prices all accross the Continent except for Italy are powering ahead. We are 20 cent/ kg below the EU average prime beef price and that is most bull beef.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

Have had various reasons to eat out over the past 3 weeks, probably 6 or 7 times. I noticed that all of the carvery lunches had beef on the menu, and damn nice it was too anytime that I had it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭dzer2

Have to try to push on the price of lamb too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Like that I’ve eaten in restaurants 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks for various different reasons. Beef is always on the menu and is always what I order. There definitely has been an improvement in the quality of beef in restaurants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This sale is on tomorrow in carnaross for a local farmer who died during the week, he thought he'd last to see the sale

Ah @whelan2 that's sad to hear, I seen some of the photos of the cattle on Carnaross Snap Chat, some lovely outfits I hope it goes well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Seemed to be a great sale, top price of 7400 guineas for a ch cow and calf

Yes some serious prices lots of them made north of €4,000, the were good cattle if fairness to the people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pen of aax bullocks out of Freisian/jersey cows. 240kg and 14 and a half months.

1010 euros today in Kilmallock.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

You’d want to be getting the gates and all from the pen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just saw a 845kg May 2019 red Lim bullock make €3000 in Ennis mart. Would he not be overweight and over age? 😎

Even at a kill out % of 58%, that's €6.15 per kg killed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Nothing is overage or overweight this year. They just want kilos of beef

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

What farmers need to realise is that there is no overage or overweight this year . The overage and overweight ( particularly overage ) specifications were always just bulls..t used to ratchet down the price paid to the producer .

Did farmers think that the factories had to dump the meat from the cattle over thirty months ?

I've 2 whx heifers over fat, they'll be left pile up the weight off grass.

Whatever state they go in, they'll be in spec when sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

• Advertisement

What grade do you think that bullock would have made? If he was a well fed U grade he’d kill out 62-64% of his mart weight so he’d hang at around 530kgs. That’d be €5.66 per kg which is exactly what they’re making in the factory now.

I’d a 720kg yard weight Charlaois heifer kill out U= and 432.4kgs last week, she made €2,456. Had I brought her to the mart I wouldn’t have expected her to be any more than 680kgs on the scales. She’d have had to make over €3.62per kg live weight to better the factory price. Her dw would have been around 63.5% of her mart weight at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He was a really good bullock in fairness. I reckon a U+. Would the KO % be that high?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

If brought to the right factory it would be. The better the confirmation the higher the KO will be. Also with age and weight like that they really come into their own. If he made a U+ I wouldn’t be surprised to hear he made €3,200 - €3,300 in the factory.

Based on yard weights over the last 8-10 years I’d be seeing the following KO%

O-/O= 49-52%

O+/R- 50-54%

R=/R+ 53-57%

U’s 56-60% with the very best KO I had being 2 U+ heifers about 3 years ago making 62% but they were exceptional.

Mart weight, depending on travel time and standing time in the mart, could be anything from 4 - 8% less than yard weight so KO based on mart weights would be 2-3% higher.

That would all be factory dependant too. There’s a private abbatoir in the midlands where you’ll easily get 5-10cent/kg more than the main factories are paying but killouts would be way back. You’d do well to get a U grade to kill out 55% there so the extra 5/10cent is the most expensive 5-10 cent you’ll get on that animal.

The reduced killout could knock 30kgs of meat off the animal, worth about €170 at the minute, whereas even at 10cent extra on the remaining meat, the extra value is only €35 so you’re down €135 on a 650kg U grade for the sake of chasing the few cent extra.

@DBK1 very informative, I find that any O- / P grade Fr bullocks I have will kill out better in Kepak Clonee that anywhere else. Where as good R+ / U continental type cattle kill out better in Liffey.. lads around here would also be sending a good lot of cattle to Donegal but I think if you don't hit the spec right then you can get penalties that take the advantage out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Might depend on the agent in donegal, no complaints around here with donegal , they were lenient enough with fat scores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw a few cows in the ring this morning. Price going well. The 2 JE were like little rolls of fat

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Jex's should probably have gone to the factory. Allowing for mart weight they would surely have averaged 250 kgs. At a bad P price of 4.5/ kg they would have come into over 1100 euro each.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A dry BBx cow 800kg made €3660 today in Dowra. I'd say the tops of the culls will surpass the 4k mark in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Them Fr bullocks in kepak are doing two jobs the trade and supplying their burger factories with the poorest cuts, a big Kilkenny dealer/ feeder left a factory in the west to go to kepak with these Fr cattle for extra rewards with two doubles drawing out of the south each week for this job.

Advertisement