Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

So beers that nobody else wanted and that are nearly stale? Score! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can't see it on the site.....gone already?

Edit: Found it....gone is right :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I dare say I've much older in my stash, but whilst they may not be peak condition I've had more dodgy bottles and cans out fresh stuff than I have out of bargain bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's much worse imho than the stuff being a bit short-dated (it's hardly going to hang around for 8 weeks in my house...) is not being able to pick out what you want, which is just ridiculous.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

For anyone interested...

Galway Bay Comet on Fire DIPA x2

Wide Street Mill Pils x2

Porterhouse Renegade NEIPA x2

Dead Centre Dead Pixels x2

Rascals Yankee White IPA x2

Wicklow Brewery Coola Boola DDH Session IPA x2

Dead Pixels is the only one I've had before so at least majority will be new beers for me to try. Would have preferred 12 different beers but ho hum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

That's a lot better than I was expecting - wish I'd pounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Down at the BeerFest in the Franciscan Well in Cork which is running today and tomorrow.

Some new brews pouring at this. Beer list on their Facebook

• Advertisement

Was in Stephen St News today for the first time since the Before Times...

Much better selection than I remember (not that it was bad then). No 4 for €10 of course, but prices are decent.

Beers new to me are Metalman Absolute Magnitude and Bru Cave 'n' Castle Export Stout

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Metalman? Is that new stock? I saw their "It's been great, but..." announcement a few months back.

Presumably. Cans with old branding printed on them, labels with new branding stuck on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It wouldn't be new stock. Metalman is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Survived my first beer festival, being the Fran Well one in Cork on the weekend just gone.

I thought it was an enjoyable event, and a strong line up of breweries were present.

Some serious value for the tokens could be obtained if you hit up the right taps. One token got me a glass of The Devil's Half Acre from Porterhouse (11% which was aged - dunno the retail price of the bottle), for example. Of course it balances out if you take a sensible approach with some normal ABVs in there. Whiplash were looking for two tokens (€6.50-ish) for a glass of their 9% TIPA which I thought was saucy enough, particularly when Lough Gill & Galway Bay Brewery seemed to be doing 1/3 pints in return for one token for their higher ABV beers.

Saw posters for Original 7 around the bar, but they didn't have anything out in time for the beer festival which I thought was a big miss. I was told it's the brewery out the back being used for new beers by the original Fran Well owner(s).

I actually fished a can out of the green bin, BB 10/2022 so yes unfortunately you're both right 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I guess White Hag aren't doing a Hagstravaganza box this year now that the real thing will be fully open. Last years box was a little disappointing compared to the 2020 box but I probably still would've got it if they did it this year

Been disappointed with the last couple of WH Clann boxes, nearly all core range. Need more guest and non-core beers. Definite drop-off on that since the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'b be afraid to buy a box off them. Too high a risk of them using it as a way to shift on some of their muck beers. I'd rather just buy the beers I want from them.

Still haven't make up my mind about Hagstravaganza this year, but had an amazing time at the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hotel last year was only affordable by raiding my loyalty points piggybank - and was miles away - so I'm having to consider whether the train up and down option works. Train back a bit tiddliy vs train back the next morning with a banging hangover (hotel left half a bottle of red in the room which I decided to knock back while watching TV - I was fine leaving the event, promise!) shouldn't be that difficult a choice.

• Advertisement

I got a lift there and back last time, as my family have a place 30km away, and someone didn't mind driving me. Might have to look into some kind of taxi this year, with a few mates.

No way could I have dealt with a train back on the same evening!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I always get the train up and back, so it does work. Whether it works for you depends on what you want out of the day.

I want to stay in the west in Dublin I think, and not come back to Dublin for the inevitable hangover the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

I don't really understand what they're doing. They have some of their advertising branding it as a 2 day event but it's only one. 80 beers for one day is total overkill. They definitely need to do it as a 2 day job. Best of luck to them, I've my ticket bought. If I get through 40, though, in the time allotted I'll be doing well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Usually there's a Friday night event for barrel club subscribers and the breweries themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I only thing I really miss about the industry was trade day at beer festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is it just me or is the craftcentral website down? It's showing a login screen for the owner.

White Hag are doing Boxstravaganza. I got an email about it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Advertisement