Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think about this ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Yes. I don't believe you've actually read it.

Any comment on how your friend is lying and claiming the quote came from Schwab?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

My friend? Cop on this is an anonymous forum. Ask him yourself

As for the article, if you're implying that the content is unobjectionable then there's no point in us discussing anything at all since we are too far apart in our assumptions.

Perhaps you would be happy to raise a family in a flexi-time building alternating the use of space with multiple strangers. Or to have no privacy and no access to a private vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,033 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

She can write whatever she wants. And an economics forum has every right to publish such harmless thought-provoking pieces. If insane people and fringe fundamentalists want to get all worked up over it, even better.

Hope she writes some more. Perhaps about a dystopian future where internet dwellers police her free speech...

It shows poor judgement. It's not really a free speech issue.

The issue is that putting out inflammatory material alienates people and dissolves the social trust that you seem to think is owed as some kind of duty.

Of course they can write anything they like. And people like me can point out how inappropriate it is coming from people in their position and how they're doing themselves no favours and aren't to be trusted with an expansion of power over e.g privacy rights.

Well he's on your side arguing the same stuff you are. Yet, he's lying.

Have you no comment or thoughts on that at all? I think you're ignoring it because you've no issue with misinformation as long as it supports your views.

If you have read the article you'd understand that 1. it is not being suggested as a goal or a desire by anyone. 2. It is not described as either good or bad. 3. it does not say that the idea of ownership is removed. It does not say that you cannot have access to a private vehicle. it does not say you will be forced to share space with anyone.

Hence, because you don't seem to understand this, it's clear you've not actually read the article. You've only read conspiracy grifters describing the article to you, to convince you there's some sort of conspiracy.

And like you're friend, you're lying about it.

So can you point out where the WEF says their goal is to remove the concept of ownership by 2030?

A direct quote that states this clearly would be nice.

If you aren't able to produce this, could you explain why not?

• Advertisement

I like how the poor judgement is on her part, not the insane people who went berserk over it.

Next up, geologists, physicists and scientists must take great care when writing anything so as not to trigger flat-earthers.

"Well he's on your side arguing the same stuff you are. Yet, he's lying."

Therefore what?

"2. It is not described as either good or bad"

Therefore what? It is, as you say, presented neutrally. I am describing it as bad.

"3. it does not say that the idea of ownership is removed. It does not say that you cannot have access to a private vehicle. it does not say you will be forced to share space with anyone."

These are described as norms of the society in this scenario. For instance motorways are emptied of private vehicles and people cycle or travel on public transport. Nobody owns anything, everything is rented temporarily on a subscribership basis. This is the description of how people live in the society. The "everywoman" of this story lives in insecure accommodation which businessmen use when she is not present.

"And like you're friend, you're lying about it."

I'm not friends with rando strangers and haven't lied. You've seriously got your wires crossed.

But the only people who are viewing it as "inflammatory" are the same types who believe COVID was a hoax etc. So it's a pretty odd demographic overall. The article was criticised at the time for excessive and unrealistic utopianism rather than for being dystopian btw.

And for the record, there's absolutely nothing inflammatory in the article. If anything it has more in common with the world of Star Trek. Feel free to point out the dystopian portions though.

He lied. I'm asking what your opinion is on it. The fact you are completely silent and won't even acknowledge that he's lying to support your side shows that you are fine with this kind of dishonesty.

You are claiming that the article is arguing in favour for the scenario, and that this argument is enough to conclude that the WEF's goal is to bring about this scenario.

And no, they are not described as the norms of the society. It does not say that "Nobody owns anything".

It describes that people outside the city in which this woman lives are free to own whatever they like. It also does not mention anything about ownship being made illegal or prohibited. It's shown that renting is simply cheaper and more convenient.

But this is all irrelevant as it's a fictional article.

Please quote where the WEF states that their goal is to bring about this system.

Can you point out where the WEF says their goal is to remove the concept of ownership by 2030?

A direct quote that states this clearly would be nice.

If you aren't able to produce this, could you explain why not?

And you did lie. You claim to have the read the article. This isn't true. You've only read conspiracy cranks talking about the article and convincing you that it points to some conspiracy.

I disagree.

I've seen huge numbers of people on twitter objecting to the WEF. The reputation of this "forum" is very bad and not improving.

In Star Trek people had secure private quarters, personal belongings which they could retain, the ability to travel privately and general privacy.

It's true that someone could regard the described world as ideal or utopian. I would differ so much from such a person that there would almost no point in discussion.

• Advertisement

"If you aren't able to produce this, could you explain why not?"

Because they haven't said that. They've simply put out disturbing fictional and non-fictional material and many people regard their 'talking points', the quality of their thoughts and their enthusiasm for privacy-reducing tech as signs that they are neither good nor trustworthy.

"And you did lie. You claim to have the read the article. This isn't true."

You are as mad as a box of frogs.

Yup. In the article it makes no mention of people being prohibited from having personal belongings. That's something invented by conspiracy theorists to trick folks like yourself who did not read the article.

And in Star Trek are not able to "travel privately".

In fact, civilians are shown using transporters to travel around Earth. Can't think of a more invasive thing that having your entire atomic structure scanned, logged and registered...

I find it weird when conspiracy theorists claim to be Star Trek fans... Did you guys miss the whole speech about the first duty being to the truth?

Ok. So then you disagree with the claim that the WEF's goal is to remove the concept of ownership by 2030? You believe this claim is false?

And your insult isn't really very consistent when you're describing this innocuous article you didn't read as "disturbing".

"It describes that people outside the city in which this woman lives are free to own whatever they like."

True although in what sci-fi world would a collection of free people be living on the periphery of some anodyne slave city?

Lol. The article doesn't say anything about a "slave city."

Also, you claimed that the article stated that no one would own anything. You now agree that is false.

Why do you claim the article says things it doesn't?

Why are you inventing things to be "disturbed" by?

It's my own characterisation of life in this city.

Yep it's only people in the urban society in which the narrator lives who will "own nothing". Soz for the error

Hopefully the free peoples will conquer the cities, establish private property rights, announce that slavery is immoral and outlaw it, and create a worthwhile society over the charred ruins of this sterile dystopia.

People on Twitter does not mean a whole lot... If they believe that this was the WEF plan for 2030, they're in the conspiracy theory bracket.

Please start quoting some sections from the article that are dystopian...

I would like to see the inhabitants of this city have the same rights that you and I have as guaranteed by the Irish Constitution.

You and I don't share our living room with rando creeps and "own nothing" do we?

Ok. So you are just making things up about the article and claiming it says and implies stuff it doesn't.

You are disturbed by the bits you are inventing.

And all about an article you didn't read...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

• Advertisement

Still no luck on finding that youtube video you claimed to have seen?

Or gonna own up and admit you lied?

I mean, it's pretty weird to just make up a video that doesn't exist...

Twitter is full of woke social justice warriors etc so I'm told and they're lefty believe in the science and all that lark.

It does exist, you're intelligent creative and innovated. So go find it yourself. You'll own nothing and you'll be happy.

Or vuuu bvuil vwoon naaathing and vuu bvuil bvee vappy.... said by the villain himself.

The loon also said there's going to be wars, lots of angry people.....food shortages and a lot more.

I'm not going to point it out to you, because it's staring you in the face.

And so, after two years of lockdowns required them to do their plotting by Zoom, the self-appointed Masters of the Universe have met again in Davos, Switzerland, presumably in a castle shaped like the skull of a vicious animal, to run our lives.

That’s not hyperbole. (Well, the part about the castle is both a bit of hyperbole and a travesty against those who remember better than I the details of early ‘80s cartoons.) Thousands of corporate CEOs, politicians and other billionaires itching to run the world have come together for the 2022 retreat of the World Economic Forum (WEF). The WEF, of course, is run by Klaus Schwab, a combination of ‘80s Lex Luthor and Dr. No, who declared at the opening event that “the future is being built by us....

You've seen a relatively tiny proportion of lunatics make a big noise about the WEF on the internet. Fanatics, grifters and their evangelists can produce an extraordinary amount of content. Look at Qanon, that whole loon-fest was started with one made-up internet post.

Type "moon landings" into Youtube a few years ago and you would have seen almost nothing but wall-to-wall moon landing conspiracy videos. Some irrational people equate volume with "truth". A belief of if there's so much of it, there must be something to it. And the people who perpetuate this stuff know that.

More ranting.

It doesn't exist. I have looked.

You lied.

Be honest man. Why are you lying? Why are you so upset and triggered when people point out that's what you guys do all the time?

"And in Star Trek are not able to "travel privately".

In fact, civilians are shown using transporters to travel around Earth."

There were hover cars on Earth and Vulcan. Spock used one for personal transport.

Harry Mudd owned a hover car in the original series.

"In the article it makes no mention of people being prohibited from having personal belongings."

It's implied that this is normative for the society, whether by law or due to the economic circumstances of the average person. The "everywoman" narrator who typifies this world has no personal belongings.

Still trying to figure out if you're a bot, have multiple accounts etc or have clout in the civil service or political sphere.

It's well known that Shwab said you'll own nothing and you'll be happy...

Is there something wrong with your laptop/tablet and phone ?

It comes up in seconds on mine.

But you can't provide any proof and we can point to fact checks that say it's nonsense. In relation to multiple accounts, I'm not sure if you can say much on that front....

"The pursuit of happiness" is Lockean-speak for the pursuit of property and the right to hold it, so "owning nothing and being happy" is a perfect inversion of that.

• Advertisement

There you go again, using the other one. Jayzus will you make up your mind.

Anyhow your fact checks are probably left wing sources.

Look it doesn't bother anyone if you have a few different accounts, I'll answer both.

Advertisement