Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I can mean either though no? It doesn't really matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have to disagree. Office based/domestic arrangements, up until recently were the default, so while some people such as yourself worked from home prior to Covid, this arrangement was not predominant. That is changing, evolving, so that workers will not need to be physically present either in an office, or even country. As more and more companies overcome the inertia of office based thinking, employment opportunities will no longer be dependent on the geographic location of either the employer or employee. The time zone stuff is nonsense, lots of people here liaise with clients/employers in other time zones. And taxation is more an issue with people who worked in Ireland prior to Covid, live in another jurisdiction but continue to be employed by the Irish employer. Companies have been regularising taxation issues associated with outsourcing for decades. I am not talking about offshoring existing operations, though that will become a concern down the line, I am referring more about new hires and the global opportunities which employees now have with employers who do not require presence in an office. Registering employees for taxation in those countries is easier than sorting the tax issue with a current employee who wants to live abroad but continue their current pay and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,893 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh bless the naivete: the manager has a chat, the employee is has insight and is honest, the manager makes a simple change, the kumbayahs flow and all is well.

Sadly, out in the real world, things are a good deal more complex. People under-perform for a mind-bogglingly wide range of reasons. With remote work, some are very strategic about which calls they do/don't answer

The latest variation appears to be "Generation Snowflake" who agree to do things, genuinely mean to, but get overwhelmed and just don't deliver. They don't know how to deal with conflict or failure, poor lambs, so instead of warning management, they just stick their heads in the sand and hope no one notices.

I'm not intrinsically opposed to remote work. For some jobs, for people who are well established in their career and competent, who have excellent out-of-work office facilities, it can be great. But it's not intrinsically great. It damages the careers of many people at early career stages. It actually discriminates against people who are who are inexperienced or poor.

People did all the same things in the office. You weren't aware of it there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Make sure to brush your teeth and swig a bit of mouthwash before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The naivety indeed 😂

If I am honest I am betting that you were the cause of more people leaving your employer than the solution for under performance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Companies absolutely do set up in "cheaper" countries, all the time. An acquaintance is being made redundant because the company they're working for (pharma) is relocating all of their back office staff to eastern Europe. Why? Staff being recruited there will be on 1/3 to 1/2 the wages that the staff in Ireland are currently on. The plan was announced pre-COVID, and they've been WFH since. The actual redundancy has been postponed a couple of times now, ironically, because they can't actually recruit the staff they need in Poland...

Didn't Dell have some issue like that way back when they moved, my memory is foggy on it

Dell had a couple of failed outsourcing, one was manufacturing the other was support.

They brought some stuff back to the US. But it was a while ago, then you had Trump etc. No idea what they do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Seriously you're either doing your work or you're not. People can be useless in the office, home, India or on the fcuking moon. If you're not delivering then there's protocols in place to deal with you.

Ive been remotely managing a team of 6 in India for the last 3 years. I've no doubt the end game is for things to be run lock stock from India.

There's lots of reasons I don't see it happening anytime soon but you'd be fairly naive not to see it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah, I used to buy a fair bit of Dell hardware back in the day, to the extent I was able to stick a "We get our tech support from Ireland, not outsourced" clause into contracts. They had outsourced support to India (IIRC), and frankly it was very poor. I think they ended up bringing a fair bit of it back to Ireland.

There is obviously a world of difference between level 1, follow-the-flowchart 'turn it off and back on again' call-centre customer service (tech or not), and actual software development, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Something that companies were doing long before COVID and WFH.

They've been doing it for decades.

The tax breaks that brought the jobs here are probably expiring, so no incentive to keep the large numbers anymore.

In other news

RTE news : Apple to extend Cork workforce as it builds new office

#swingsandroundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Every company has employees that need to go to a performance review meeting and a plan put in place for extra support and training if there no longer able to keep up or there work is not up to scratch. Its the basic start for terminating there contract. It makes no difference if there in the office or working from home the same principles apply.

Mr's O'Bumble its actually great now that you don't get people walking up to your desk when your in the middle of doing a high pressure, high risk IT migration and some knob of an end user won't **** off away from you. If we want to talk to someone we setup a teams meeting or send them an instant message or email to give you a buzz when free. I don't answer direct calls from users, even my manager. If your busy you just pass the message off to another team member or tell the person you'll call them in an hour.

Aragh I have been hearing about tech jobs all moving to India since the early 2000s. It hasn't happened and there are more IT jobs/companies around than ever before. Generally speaking Indian employees work hard and upskill quickly but they have their limitations e.g. Innovation and saying No when something is not possible.

Have a look at the Paypal share price over the past 12 months. Tanking!

They have bigger problems and are scrambling for any growth. They issued a FY2022 guidance recently which was full of downgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

PayPal has three offices in India, so unless the new positions will be WFH positions the announcement means nothing in the context of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,893 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So the IDA are funding a building project, in a WFH world???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did you see that the IDA are funding it?

What's your point?

At the site, engineers and technicians will use a range of high-tech equipment including CT scanners and electron microscopes to test and analyse products with the aim of improving their durability and performance.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/apple-to-expand-operations-in-cork-with-new-product-test-centre_arid-40858757.html

it’s not a WFH world. As usual you are making this a binary thing. Its not a WFH world….its a flexible working world.

Google are doing the same in London….making massive office investment. The difference is that the new offices are being built to be attractive places where people will actively want to go. Google in London will have a swimming pool (though obviously that’s extreme). What they will all have is much nicer spaces, breakout areas, canteens, well-being areas, games areas etc. That’ll be the look of the new generation office

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not sure if this was posted already; Dunnes Stores have a 'Karl Herny' adjustable desk riser for €100. Price seems good & you have the advantage of buying it local so can return it easily if don't like it. I'm wondering will it take the weight of a monitor....

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/well-by-karl-henry-adjustable-desk/5620100

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Employeer is still very flexible with working from home, taking a trip in tomorrow to meet some new faces have a lunch. Going to set a routine of one's a week or every second week for a visit. If anything for the free lunch and keep relationships built up. Need to iron some shirts and check if I still fit into my pants haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

Imagine going back to an enviroment where your in the office 5 days a week where managers would look at you funny for turning up at 9.10 instead been in the office at 9AM.

Imagine sitting in that cubicle or desk sharing five days a week.

WFH isn't going anyway, no one is going to settle for that shite anymore.

• Advertisement

Advertisement