Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Great breeding and a bag of milk to boot.

Have a foreman cow myself, calved 2 days after the tb test in February, day before the reading calves a great long Ampertaine Majestic bull calf on her own. No one spotted her. By the time we did, calf was dead. Absolutely sickening. Not sure was it a puck or what from the test, or did the calf die at birth, she was a few days early, but a serious calf.

Had told myself no passengers, so she was to go, even left her go a cycle or 2, then about a month ago I gave her a straw of Pabo Peredur, she kept 1st time. I don’t think it was her fault so I gave her 1 last chance, and with foreman straws making the money the are at the moment, she was worth the go.

Still sickened over her calf every time is look at her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

I know I asked about scour in a 2 day old calf previously but asking again as have two calves about 10 days old which have different type of scour for last day or two.

Anything to worry about or just leave them be. Sucking cows and seem to be in good form.

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

With calves like that we would give a "pink" tablet if it was still showing the following day. Did you check the temperature, the nose cold, still drinking milk.

I didn't check the temperature as you wudn't catch them too handy out the field :)

They are still drinking alright. Was thinking of putting them in and giving a shot of Bimastat tomorrow.

What's the name of the pink tablet you use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

We’re the born inside or outside, have you had any bother with crypto? Once calves are out, sucking and in good form i wouldn’t be too worried, heavy rain like today seems to make young calves scour plenty. Do you vaccinate cows for Rotavirus?

I think I’d take a sample of dung from the second pic calf before treatment and get it tested at the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

That 2nd pic doesn't look right. Is it bloody? I had calf with similar brown-blood red few weeks back. Vet gave me some stuff for her, can't remember exactly but I had to tube her for a couple of days. Got her early so couple days inside out of the rain saved her.

1st pic looks normal enough. I've few calves that suck any cow they can get near & can be like that. Never an issue with them.

Yes they were born inside and let out after a day or two as soon as weather allowed.

Cows were done with Rotavec Corona alright. Have had a touch of blood scour in most calves this year but none really sick from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I have been trying to get a heifer from this lady for the last 6 years, finally got a nice little Shorthorn out of her. She is a lovey quite cow, vet even tested her last year without putting her up the crush as she was too wide on the point of calving..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

Progressive Genetics EMS, its all that was in the tank that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pedigree Angus cow born December 2008, had her 12th calf yesterday. Calf's front legs are a bit iffy. He was drinking her this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

I had bent front legs on a few animals this year. All came right. There is very little you can do other than hope for the best.

Happy days with twins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Quick question for ye folks, had a bull calf born there about 10 days ago, had trouble getting him to suck (tongue hanging out for a few days and he just seemed lethargic and dull). Tubed him twice and vet gave him selenium injection I think it was to get him sucking. He’s still dopey and looked to be dehydrated last night, gave him electrolyte’s and bottle fed him 2L of milk cause he’s not sucking the mother enough, you could tell by him the belt was never full and she had a big bag of milk.

anything else I can do for him? Or just keep with the electrolytes and bottle feeding him until he gets the energy/knack to suckle properly?

Check his tongue, a cut on the tongue will be hurting, preventing him from sucking.

Did he get enough biestings after he was born?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Had a calf that wouldn't suck. Very grave it a steroid injection and it came round.

Yours sounds to be further along though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Yea he would have gotten about 2.5L when he was born and then tubed 3L the following morning. Had the vet out there, a naval infection and dehydrated as a result. Electrolytes and tablets for a couple of days and injections for a week will hopefully bring him round. Still doesn’t solve the sucking issue directly but hopefully it will come once he clears the other issues. There’s always something to go wrong with the buggers!

• Advertisement

Lovely Gamin heifer calf from a Mullary Intrepid cow. 280 day gestation. Up and sucking in 20 mins, and stayed sucking for another 20. If they were all like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Last one calved of the year calved last night. Pretty good calving season just one loss out of 25 ( cow picked on another calf and clattered him while in the yard - just one of those things). Started on 4th April. All calved outdoors and only had to assist one with just the ropes.

Calving box now needs to be cleaned out and powerhouses😉😉. Few drains and reseed 2 acres and its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Fine looking cow. She seems to have plenty of milk. What's her back breeding?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

She’s Mullary Intrepid, out of a sympa cow, with ferry in the background too. Great cow, fertile and a pure pet. Nice to get a heifer off of her after a run of bulls

1st pedigree calve born this morning. Lovely bull calf. Fine size to him aswell. I knew she was going to calve and checked her at 2am but thought shed hold till the morning. Great surprise when wake at 5 and calf walking around. Wish they were all like that!!

On the pedigree side, would people register all pedigree stock at birth or wait to see how they turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

For me it depends on a few things...back breeding of the calf, how have previous generations of calves from that bloodline turned out. Usually you're given 90 days to register a calf I think so I tend to give them time to see how they turn out, also depends on the late penalties for your society. If they only penalise you a fixed amount after those 90 days you might be better off waiting for a year or more to register it if you're going to be penalised the same as if the calf was 91 days old, least then you know if it's a good or bad animal. I tend to only register the best bulls I have as I think it does the breed a disservice to register every bull and you end up diluting the quality of Pedigree bulls. I shudder when I see some bulls go through marts and the auctioneer calls out it is pedigree registered and the bull would not be up to scratch at all yet because he's registered fellas expect bigger money.

• Advertisement

What breed? We register the calf with the Angus association when we are registering the calf on day 1. Icbf are set up to facilitate this. Name the calf on whatever platform you're using when registering them

Last Angus calf for a while , second calver, calved in July last year. 5 star everything the calf is . Heifer calf

Ah ok. Wasn't aware it could be done when registering the calf. Its a limousin. I've 2nd one due now too so might register both anyway as young lad has names picked.

I register mine on agfood.ie. Under "Pedigree Name of Calf" put the full name like say "Ballydehob Mike" where Ballydehob is the herd prefix. You need to set this up with the association first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

All names must start with a specific letter, every year the letter changes, in Charolais this year it’s T

• Advertisement

In the Angus association you use the first letter of the dams name so priestown blackbirds calf will have to begin with b , so priestown belle

Ya, forgo this part. Some fun coming up with names.

Saw an Angus is a sale called prefix pu pu

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

Got this big boy born this morning. Unassisted! 286days gestation, piedmontese sired out of limx cow.

How long do lads normally leave in the stitches after a section.. its years since I had one before but I thought it was about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s six years since the last section here but i don’t think it’s as long as a month, 2-3 weeks if i remember right.

The stitches break and fall out naturally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Two weeks can be a bit fresh sometimes. They don’t do any harm in so I usually give them the month and I’ve taken ones out at a lot longer intervals with no I’ll effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I had a section this year and vet told me to take them out myself after 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Last one finally calved Saturday. Knell bull of PD lim heifer. 56kg, should have being a section but easy say that after. Thought he wasn't going to make it but vet gave him few shots. Vet surprised he survived the Sat night even. Finally up sucking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭alan10

Vet told me 2,3 weeks.

Vet was cheaper than a doctor 👨🏽‍⚕️ 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Down to 2 now. This lady calved today. Bought her in mart last November for 1130. Cheap outfit now.

Bull or heifer calf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I ve a cow due to calf, there is a lot of flys about just wondering could you put Spot On on her and her so close to calving?

Ye work away

have a 17 month old heifer springing nicely - she’s about 400kgs and a small heifer. Absolutely delighted with it 😡😡

i had no bull on farm since 2 July 2021 til March of this year so she must have been out kissing the neighbors bull.

dont have a bare paddock but anyways be hard to put her in anywhere on her own. Hard to know how far away she is but probably inside a month anyways.

any suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Had one here last year calved at 15 mts unassisted a little limo heifer calf.Id House her and give her a bit of hay if u have it and a shake of oats.What kind of bull got at her do u know

Advertisement