Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

I share Mary Lou's disgust at any journalist alleging that she was the leader of Sinn Fein. It's a very unfair and offensive allegation to have made and indicates that the reporter hasn't a clue about how SF really works. Hopefully, a fulsome apology will be issued by RTE in the near future; ideally this will be accompanied by a generous donation to Mary Lou's favourite child abuse charity. Or a book token.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You accuse MLMD of engaging in SLAPPs. We covered this. She can only be using SLAPPs if she is lying about being defamed. You are claiming the case is about silencing the media not her defending her character. You are calling her a liar.

Again, you claimed you are concerned about SF censoring the media. I showed we had phone taps on journalists. You brought in that it was legal. I never raised that. You also claim to support MLMD's right to sue while calling her a liar for bringing the case. My only point is we had governments doing worse to silence and harass the media than what you accuse MLMD of.

I never defended or condoned anything regarding MC. You abuse the woman almost daily.

You are dismissing MLMD's claim of abuse because she's a shinner.

If MC was accusing a FG'er you'd never mention her.

Nobody believes your faux moral outrage on any topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In the last 20 or so posts,

Oliver J Flanagan

Bertie Ahern

Brian Cowen

Michael Martin

Gerry Adams

Caesar

Virginia

& Santa Claus

have been mentioned, but you only get upset because Leo got mentioned in a roundabout point about party leaders>

Is that not a bit of a weird obsession?

I do not dislike SF

I just am not left of centre

There are other also imperfect choices for me on the ballot paper more in train with my world view

Most of the 4 or 5 people in these threads day in day out are stuck here from what I can see

Its their life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Just pointing out, no matter what thread, no matter what the discussion is, no matter what the top. You will post "something something leo something something"

Then as usual try to drag the conversation down some Francie rabbit hole.

Can't have a thread about Sinn fein or MLMD without constant reference to FG or Leo can we now?

• Advertisement

We are discussing party leadership.

The chances of Leo being mentioned in that are fairly high.

See the government thread I haven't mentioned 'Leo' in weeks as far as I can recall. Nor in the other threads I post on. According to the search function May 10th was the last time I mentioned him before today. You are exaggerating as usual. A strange obsession about him being mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, we can add SLAPPs to the list of things you don’t understand.

If MLMD was defamed, the place to go is BCI to complain, not to the courts to shut the tv company up and limit press freedom. I have never said that MLMD wasn’t defamed, it is just I can’t see what the defamation is, and neither can you. What I have said is that MLMD has deliberately chosen this particular method of redress in order to the topic being discussed. That is the point of the SLAPPs case. Even if it turns out that MLMD was defamed, that doesn’t take away from the premise that the case was taken in order to censor the media.

Now, tell me what abuse MLMD is claiming she was subject to? If you are attempting to equate what happened to MC at the hands of members of the PIRA to MLMD being defamed, there are no words to describe the moral depravity to which you have sunk.

And in relation to MC, none of your fake accusations of exploitation, again exposing your lack of dignity and respect, will prevent me from raising her case at every appropriate instance in order to help the woman achieve justice. I will do the same for Austin Stack, Paul Quinn, Brendan McGahon and many others who have been the victims of criminal thugs who have falsely claimed to be acting on behalf of the Irish people.

Tell me what a SLAPP is? Because the definition I know means you are calling MLMD a liar. So what's your definition of a SLAPP? Or are you once again putting on the Nike for a run? On multiple occasions you have claimed she is only doing this to censor. Thats calling her a liar.

She is suing for defamation. We don't know the details.

Lack of dignity and respect? Using Paul Quinn I see. I don't believe any of your pearl clutching. Your alledged ethics only appear when politically convenient. You, me and everyone knows it.

The primary aim of a SLAPPs case is to censor the media.

The BCI/Press Council process is sidestepped so that the media can be silenced.

Whether or not the person has been defamed or not is secondary (and ultimately materially irrelevant) to the required need of the plaintiff to silence the media.

I have not passed judgement on whether or not MLMD was defamed. However, it is clear that she is using the courts to silence the media.

Exactly. Were did you believe i meant something else? If you are claiming its SLAPP you are calling her a liar.

She believes she was defamed and thats why she's taking the action. You are accusing her of ulterior motives and therefore lying. You can't say you believe her and she's only doing it to censor the media. You have passed judgement since day one.

• Advertisement

The 'primary aim' of a defamation suit is to stop people defaming you.

Not always, in this case, the primary aim is to the censor media debate. That is why so many NGOs are critical of this type of defamation action.

MLMD has never said that this is not a SLAPPs action, so how can I be accusing her of lying?

You are either failing to understand the nature of a SLAPPs action or the nature of my point.

It is leading you into a completely unnecessary apoplexy of outrage. I have never in my posts on this issue accused MLMD of lying. If I have, point me to it.

Do you understand what a SLAPPs is and if so why would someone announce they are only taking a case to silence the media? A defamation case no less. Is the angle now that the alledged victim in a case has to give all the reasons they are not doing something? You are really into the next reality Dr. Strange.

You claim she is bringing the case to censor or silence the media. Thats you calling her a liar.

Show me where she said that.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread the long list of cases taken out by Sinn Fein TD to shut the media up is extensive

Right from Gerry Adam’s who didn’t want his niece’s story to come out, you know the whole paedophile thing and him hiding the paedophile as a youth worker in the south. To all the other cases right up to the current one

its clear now and moving forward that any story that is negative towards Sinn Fein will end up with a legal case against the newspaper/channel or even niece in some cases.

If you are struggling to understand how that’s not shutting down the media then not sure who can explain it in more detail

The court of blanch found that a few hours after the case was reported.

Nobody else has found that, no NGO, the COE the NUJ etc.

Sure they are alerting it may be an attempt to censor but it may also be a genuine bid to stop herself being defamed.

That is the facts here blanch. Once again you have climbed onto a bandwagon and exposed yourself.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Once again, I ask you, for the very last time, show me something that MLMD has said about this case, and where I am saying that she is lying.

If you can’t do that, have the decency to withdraw the accusation that I have said MLMD is lying.

You will now be bizarrely reprimanded for accusing the victim Mary Lou of lying.

I don’t want to do a Brucie on this and falsely accuse you of lying but I have genuinely missed the quotes where the NUJ or the Index of Censorship or any of the other NGOs have said that this might be a genuine bid to stop herself being defamed. Maybe you could point me to those exact words from them so I can learn.

• Advertisement

I mean, her ordeal at potentially and remotely possibly being defamed by RTÉ is so much worse than what MC and BMcM had to endure, according to our resident fanatics.

Because when democrats say 'might be' that is what they mean. I.E. It doesn't need to be said. it is inferred.

They are not being absolutist like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't believe the intellectual capacity is there to understand it, the debate ends up purely about having to explain simple terms over and over.

The question is if they know how ridiculous they look while fighting with dictionaries or not understanding anything bar the title of the thread (yes, MLMD launched a defamation suit, everyone else moved on from that on post 2) or is obliviousnesss their desired state.

What you mean is, some people jumped to conclusions and verdicts after post 2.

Intellectual capacity indeed.

So there are no quotes from any of the NGOs that this might be a genuine defamation case.

Well, there you go, none of them believe that.

No, a number of posters have repeatedly referred to Mary-Lou as a "victim".

You have a twisted sense of how laws work.

MLMD feeling defamed may be a mechanism to silence the media...or she feels she was defamed. All you are showing here is you've made up your mind that any shinner bringing any case isn't to be believed.

Thats not how the system is designed.

She claimed she was defamed.

You claim she is using the law to silence and censor the media.

You are calling her a liar.

• Advertisement

MLMD has never claimed anything, there hasn't been a word from her on the subject. She has taken a defamation action, which is designed to silence and censor the media, that has been stated by a number of independent NGOs, other media and the NUJ, a SLAPPs in other words. Now the action could mean she believes she was defamed as well as a SLAPPs or it could be just a plain old SLAPPs. We don't know, because she has never said anything about being defamed, if she has, you can point me to her words on the issue.

How can I be calling her a liar when she has never said anything about the defamation action?

Off you go with your made-up fake accusations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement