Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've never heard commentators quite as bad/biased as the UCD ones. Hilariously so.

They've wanted McGinty sent off twice so far when he very clearly won the ball both times. The second one he came off his line, headed the ball so far it almost reached the half way line, but because the UCD forward collided with him after the header they think it was an "MMA-style" challenge with "no attempt on the ball". 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super win for City tonight. A tight 1-0 away win to Galway. City down to 10 for the last 25 too.

Top of the league again will do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya ye were immense defensively. Your 3 centre backs won every single cross and, throw, corner etc. The goal was an absolutely brilliant hit too. Takes a lot to beat Kearns.

We were grand, should have changed from just trying to cross every single time we went forward. But sure you'll have.

The 2 teams are so close, we won at the X with 10 men. Ye won up here with 10 men. A point between us. Really will come down to the 2 remaining games between us. Transfer window 2ill be interesting for both too I'd say.

Ya agree we are/were so predictable. We bring on a tricky, skillful, technically proficient player like Manning who picks up great positions yet we continue going side to side and swinging in aimless crosses that your lads were just eating up, all the while ignoring him. Frustrating stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

In fairness, the second case he managed to knock our player out cold.

Winning the header doesn't necessarily matter when the player is out for the count. A two-footed tackle is still a red card even if you win the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Brutal game at the Brandywell too, don't be fooled by the scoreline..

Very very little quality on show.

We have really gone sh1t. I think it's now a crisis. We are in freefall .

Not sure how we are going to get out of our current form. Our 1st team tonight were truly awful and we have no bench.

He won the ball both times and neither were dangerous challenges at all. Expecting a freekick and a red for the first one is laughable, as is expecting similar just because the UCD lad was unfortunately injured after colliding with him in the second challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Nosebleed time. But we'll take it.

Again, winning the ball doesn't necessarily matter. You can win the ball and it's still dangerous play, as in the example I gave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Good point for Drogheda tonight. At one stage, as results stood, Harps were only three points behind us but thankfully still nine.

I was disappointed with Bohs. They have some lovely players but lack a leader and are a bit soft.

Our keeper immense again tonight. Smashing player.

• Advertisement

McGinty has form though.(didn't he once break Bensons leg (and while booked, stayed on the pitch and saved Hobans pen?). To be fair he was unbeatable that night (and very young)

McGinty has every right to come out and head the ball. Absolutely nothing dangerous about a keeper coming off his line to clear a ball like he did. The injury was unfortunate but it doesn't make it dangerous play.

He has a right to come for the ball.

He doesn't have a right to knock a player unconscious.

Like an outfield player has a right to go for a tackle, but if he does so with two feet off the ground, it's a red card even if he got the ball/didn't make contact with the player.

I'm not sure why this is confusing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Probably your awful logic that's confusing things. If anything it was a free out. McGinty went for the header, attacker edged into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rovers a clear level above us. They weren’t amazing but you definitely felt like if they had to go up a gear they could have, but once they were 2 up after 30 minutes they just controlled the game and never really pushed for a hammering.

Hadnt been out to Tallaght for a few years (our last promotion season was covid year so we didn’t get to go to many aways) and was surprised how weird the atmosphere was considering the size of the attendance they got in. They’re obviously pushing really hard for the family crowd and it does feel a bit like you’re at the Leisure Plex rather than a competitive football game at times.

I'll need to watch the first one back again. It looked awkward but not dangerous. His legs were spread, but only spread because the UCD player tried to knock the ball around him and he spread his left leg to stop the ball from going past him, which he did.

I don't know what is confusing you about the second one to be honest. The ball bounced in the air just outside the box. Both players attacked it and McGinty got there well before the forward. There was then a collision between both players and the UCD forward came off worse. You can't give a foul for what was essentially a 50/50 when both players were going for the ball and one clearly wins it. The commentator comparing it to Toni Schumacher v Battiston was hilarious.

An additional note, 4177 in Terryland tonight. Super crowd, as always we fluffed our lines in front of it.

That is extremely impressive for a First Division game, yeah. How many up from Cork roughly?

It's kind of hard to debate the point if you continue to ignore the point I made.

I'd need to watch the clip back again to see exactly what happened so I'm not saying if he should have been sent off or not, but I do know that your "He was entitled to go for the ball and he got the ball, end of" point (which essentially is what you're saying) is not remotely valid, for the reasons I've given. You absolutely can give a foul for a 50/50 if one party goes in dangerously (like the two-footed challenge example I gave)

• Advertisement

In fact, just to refer to the Laws of the Game (https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct) on that challenge last night, some relevant extracts -

"Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury."

"All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent."

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Now it is possible that Lonergan was the one guilty of dangerous play (or careless or reckless play, which are just variants on that), which is why I'd like to see the clip again to make a view.

But nowhere there does it say that these challenges are ok if the player got the ball or if it was a 50/50. You can see the outfield example I gave listed there as well (which again shows no reference to getting the ball or it being a 50/50), and you can see that you don't have a right to charge through a player as a consequence of a tackle. The laws are designed to discourage tackles which might break a leg, knock someone unconscious, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Give it a rest. Mcginty won the ball both times. The two ucd commentators would want to lay off the conspiracy theories. Going on that the world is against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Can you fellas agree to disagree on the tackle??

Deal done. A generational talent leaving the club. As composed and comfortable a player as I've ever seen in the LOI. Hopefully he goes on to great things.

With us til July, not sure if it's the start or end, you'd imagine the start though as I'm guessing Newcastle academy would be going back in in mid/late July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

It’s a mystery what has happened to Derry. Watching them trample all over Pats in Inchicore I honestly thought we were looking at potential champions. Even in the return match up there we were lucky enough to escape with a point. Still thinks they’ll turn it around, but it’s some collapse in form. Looking like a stroll to the title for Rovers at the moment.

And yet you say this despite being shown that "he got the ball" literally doesn't matter.

Someone really needs to get video of the two incidents up and we can all judge for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

That 4 game winning streak must have took alot of Shels, looked tired straight from kick off conceding that early goal and nothing clicked when we got in the final third, we've had much worse performances this season this one will be forgotten about easily. Rovers were slick when they had to be and managed the game home without much trouble once they got the 2nd, hard not to see them winning the league with Derry faltering away

The league is now over.

Rovers will win it by 15 at least.

And btw I was saying they'd win the league when we were 6 clear as well.

You keep ignoring the point I'm making that neither appeared dangerous, so it's pointless discussing it. I've since watched the first back and it definitely was not dangerous play, just like the second one.

Do you happen to be one of the commentators? 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

My guess would be it will be early July. He is 17 now so he cannot leave until he turns 18 because of the new rules in place since brexit and he turns 18 June 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

There's no guarantee that a video will stop one of UCD's three or four fans from making a thread on a forum unreadable with stubborn, circuitous waffle.

Products of their environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Was at UCD on Friday night.

Didn't get a good view of the first incident but no way was the second one a card of any colour.

A UCD supporter lost it beside me. When he calmed down, a fellow UCD supporter put him straight on it. McGinty was 100% entitled to go for the ball, he got there first, he got a clean header and then they collided. When your own supporters are saying it.......

Otherwise, where do you draw the line on pulling out of tackles?

Even the UCD players didn't create a melee. The ref had to call one of the UCD players aside and have a few words. I can only guess he was stirring it.

Haven't heard about the ref. Hope he's ok. Was a first in 52 years of watching the LOI to see the ref stretchered off.

• Advertisement

All premier games scheduled for 10th/11th June now postponed. I knew the sligo match was off but didn’t know of the others. Shepperd and Adams called to Wales u21.

Can’t see Dundalk keeping Shepperd for longer than this year.

Post edited by joeysoap on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

I agree atmosphere wasn't great but the game was over after 30 minutes. Shels didn't offer much at all so it can be hard to create an atmosphere. It felt a bit like a UCD game despite the great crowd that Shels brought the result seemed a forgone conclusion

To clarify, my remarks were not in relation to the Rovers fans themselves (who were/are fine) but rather the match day experience the club is trying to put on.

Even the lad they have doing the announcements etc seems only about 30 seconds away from breaking into singing the latest pop hit for the kids in the crowd.

7000 people there so you can’t exactly say they’re doing a bad job. It was just one of the weirder match day experiences I’ve been to. Was almost what I imagine Leinster rugby games are like.

Here's the "two footer". They didn't show the Toni Schumacher incident on the highlights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

This is a perfectly good tackle. Nothing to see here

• Advertisement

I wish I had bought the game myself so I could screencap the McGinty header to show how absurd the commentary reaction was to it, but I watched the game at my uncle's and he bought it on his account. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Can't say that's a two footer. Could argue that McGinty had stopped and the player fell over him. Ref got it right.

Thanks for the clip.

No foul. Perhaps a faster/ better player might have scored, who knows? Either way was the ref was correct- play on.

Appears R Higgins was approached by Notts Co to be considered for their manager role.

Flat turned it down apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You'd find it hard to find a less contentious challenge really. Those UCD lads are woeful bad.

On another note Kerry FC have begun the licensing process and hope to be in the league from next season. As per sports bulletin on Today FM at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Great news, can't wait to have a few pints in town and make my way out to a game when I'm back next year.

Higgins could smell the wind. Notts County are non league and their mansger left for forest green. Good decision.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement