Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MENACE2010

Hi , Service .. We have a heat pump for 8 yrs , paid once for the service ( followed him around ) and to be honest .. nothing special ( waste of money in my case) .. I would recommend to keep an eye on the outside unit.. make sure its clean and the heat exchanger is not clogged with rubbish (dust etc) . found the support packages. The checks are fairly substantial.. but I'm not a plumber to determine if its overkill.. it seems a bit overkill to me .. , you could book a service if you want to be sure ... 200 euro a year .. is a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is the HP costing you a day versus heating degree day projected?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Hi

not entirely sure what you are asking? sorry .. I can if I want calculate the electricity cost but the problem is that everything is on the same bill.. currently on a level pay bill of 223 per month.. now this is "fixed" with small increases but you pay for the winter in the summer.. if that makes sense without having a massive bill in the winter..

IMO, every heat pump needs its own submeter and you keep track of consumption, keeping an eye on the weather and higher than normal DHW consumption, any unexplained variances could point to issues with the HP such as compressor failure.

Best example I have is that a home owner only noticed an issue when his DD bounced. bi monthly bill had climbed to 987 euro, from 180.

Compressor had failed and the elec backup had clicked in, 11 kW, COP of 1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's brutal, do any of them have internal control panels/monitors that could alarm so you don't get a big bill.

Id spot it within a day as I'm keeping an eye on my usage, but that's because I have solar and I'm into that sort of thing

With oil/gas when something goes wrong usually there's no heat and the home owner doesn't get stung with a big bill and a repair bill too.

Oil/gas isn't perfect either, I had a friend who's oil tank leaked and it was only spotted when environmental heath spotted oil in the drains. Thankfully he was insured for it otherwise he'd been out 31k

• Advertisement

Some do have a submeter on them, however not easy to access usually.

I recommend one be fitted somewhere the home owner can see it easily

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The assumption then is that the homeowner would monitor the meter constantly, which simply won’t happen.

The HP should have a clearly visible external red light when it has a fault. Mine does.

The sub meter is useful too but doesn’t solve the issue on its own and most people won’t monitor it anyway until they see a high bill coming in, so it’s already too late!

Hi

Most Heat pumps (not all) have an on-line capability to alarm, notify the user. My heat pump from 8 yrs ago had an internet option and I took it .. the moment my Soft starter failed I got an email ( I was abroad) and I took action when I was back. Not sure what the set-up of the quoted heat pump is but mine I have actually switch to another "mode of operation" it cannot default to back up mode , I normally do a visual check once every two weeks either on-line or when I'm in the "plantroom" where the house "heart" is .. ( heatrecovery / Heatpump/ watertank / waterpressure pump etc ). As stated earlier Oil is not without its problems (hence we went with heatpump.. got sick of maintenance and oil problems), Oil theft..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gooberish

Hi, I'm sure it has been asked before but .. I have a Samsung / Jule ASHP installed in a new build, 4 years old. I have been getting the unit serviced on a yearly basis. After a bad experience with my last service (Flowmeter error & a leak), I'm wondering do I need to pay someone to service it. I would be confident in doing the service myself as I have industry exp. but don't want to void any warranty. The only thing I wouldn't be able to do is to check the refrigerant levels and glycol levels. I can't justify the €130 - €180 that these companies are charging for what I deem to be visuals and a filter clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have never had mine serviced in 4 years since installed, I don't see the need really. Other people will disagree with that.

I assume if there is an issue the HP will show an error on screen. The prices you mention would be a lot on a yearly basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Hi there

I've a near 20 year old nibe geothermal heat pump. I barley know how to used] it🙈I’ve no clue it has a sub meter or not..

Assuming it doesn’t, any pointers as to what I should get to monitor it, I’ve pretty horrendous electricity bills, not all down to the heat pump but I’d like to know exactly how much the usage is for heat and hot water

I don’t suppose you have any idea how much more efficient a new one would be, I am wondering should I bite the bullet and replace it and avail of the grant to soften the blow.

thanks

will you get a grant for HP replacement?

Will your house pass the Heat loss indicator test?

An elec submeter will give u the elec for both HW and heat, getting a split will require heat meters

I'd guess house would pass the heat loss test with a small bit of remedial work, it's very well insulated but t here are some issues, window seals, downlighters, attic doors and the like

Grant seem to be available once you havent applied for previously but will confirm with an installer or seai

If it fails the HLI or the HP fails the efficiency threshold test, the grant wont get paid so I wouldn't guess for 6.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi all,

I stayed away from hp's for a while as the ROI was just crazy (using €800 of oil per year on a 2,500 sq ft house), my understanding is a rough rule of thumb is it would cost half as much as my current heating bill in additional electricity costs.

Just wondering what the current ballpark installation cost is these days, I didn't realise the grant had risen to 6,500.

I don't have ufh at the moment, thinking of putting in the low profile ufh at some stage all right.

I spoke to my heat pump guy, he advised I just needed a BER to determine whether I qualify for the grant, clearly I’ll confirm with REAI but it seems a good idea as my heat pump is 18 years old. I assume running cost will be lower as new ones are more efficient so I should get some decent annual savings

he mentioned a price of 12k before grant, pretty expensive business either way;

as above approximate quote I got was 12k for simple replacement; I’d be interested in other quotes too

ive a geothermal system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Really they should create an A0 category just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

hi, just wondering what people think. I've a BER rating of B2. I've had my house assessed and they say i don't need new radiators or extra equipment . Got a quote for €10500 for Air to Water Heatpump from one company who said it was a no brainer, although they implied during their assessment that it would cost less than the grant. I expect they increased their prices due to the grant. So I started to shop around and few people got back to me but another plumber said it wouldn't be worth it based on the BER rating. Which makes me think I shouldn't get it now.. Wondering what your experience is with them

• Advertisement

focus less on the BER and more on the actual costs and reasons.

So, how much per year does it cost to heat your house now?

what is your reason for changing? Is your existing system on its last legs?

then decide if it’s worth spending €10k or not as your payback could be measured in decades.

well its more about the efficiency I was wondering, how much it would cost to run a heat pump with BER of B2. The second guy said it wouldn't be cost effective so I was wondering what peoples own experience was with it

The BER won’t tell you that as it depends on size of house and air tightness etc.

Having said that It should be low hundreds per year.

how much does your existing system cost you to run each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I installed one this year and have a BER of C1, it was a no brainier for me due to the old system that was in beforehand and our first bill since it was installed was €88 covering both permanent hot water and electricity. The attic is insulated but the rest of the house isn’t, although will be before the winter. Do the maths and forget the BER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Did you replace a geothermal with Air to Water system?

I've a geothermal system and it costs a lot to run.

Normally I'd only pay about €200 a a year in oil heating, i've panels for water that work great. But this year it went up to €600 cause of the price of oil. I know compared to most its not much . HLI was less than 2 too btw

That’s all you need to know then.

is spending €10k going to be worth it when you are likely to only save, maybe, €200-€300 per year in running costs.

your payback is decades. The heat pump will need to be replaced before it pays for itself.

now, if your existing system was on the way out and needed replacing anyway, that would be a different conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I had a gas back burner and needed to replace it. Was going to need a whole new system so decided to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

I went through sse for the grant application. All was grand, got the grant and then they quoted €22k for a 14kw air to water HP. Grant of €6.5k to come off.

Rang a local provider and he quoted me €17k for same project with €6.5k grant to come off.

this seems very high compared to posts above, but maybe I’m not comparing apples and apples?

• Advertisement

You need to be 100% certain that the HP specs are exactly the same in the two quotes

Advertisement