Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well from an Irish point of view, it seems strange that this is still the top story given that it happened in Texas. It shows just how American biased our news has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

News is entertainment now. Its a case of selling clicks. This story has it all. Tragedy, Mystery, A divided people and a moral dilemma. America is a soap opera for the world to enjoy, however perversely.

I don't like any if this, BTW. Its just an observation

It's a major news story across the globe. Anders Breivik's killings also got prolonged news coverage. The Christchurch killings got prolonged coverage. The fact it happens in the most developed countries in the world is by default gonna get major news coverage. On top of that, Ireland has a close relationship with America. We have family and friends there... So nothing to do with the Americanization of our news..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Christy42

Every time I see something like this I just think someone is just annoyed people are still talking about this.

A lot of dead children is terrifying to a lot of people. Ireland in general has a lot of links to the US and we are both first world countries which means though we are missing the gun culture which enables a lot of these shootings people will still worry it could happen here. Many people here have relatives or friends in the US. The US is the most powerful country in the world and big decisions there effect the entire world.

We are a small country, the next biggest story I can see is a lot of people expected to go to an airport. There is the ongoing war in the Ukraine but again that isn't an Irish thing, geographically closer than the US but politically and culturally less so. It is also being reported on as well with some dissent in Eastern Russia apparently. I guess we could have the UK changing its rules to try and allow ministirial rule breaking retroactively but that seems like a smaller story than a school shooting. Did I mention that a school shooting with a lot of dead kids is terrifying to a lot of people?

From experience and reading the analysis of others who gained access to their devices and other online accounts, that is a factor for some.

But just being born a c*nt is certainly a factor for a good few of them.

You can certainly get access to the accounts of some people on the other side of the political spectrum because they might not be the brightest.

Those who are suffering from mental health issues, the balance goes back to the right in terms of being able to gain access due to the fact that they often more likely to rereg or have multiple accounts to make the the same argument on sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It definitely seems that way. Why do some Irish people take it so seriously? We can't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

It's pretty bad when the response to "That Texas school shooting" is now "which one?".

Another guy four years ago killed ten in Santa Fe and Google gives a selection. Ridiculous and tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Rubbish.

Without the US there would be a total bloodbath in Ukraine. Additionally, the world would be a far more dangerous place for all without their policing it.

As for securing schools, that's just putting a sticking plaster over just one of many wounds. The complete thicko that is Donald Trump once again puts his foot in it by advocating:

fortified single points of entry including metal detectors and at least one armed police officer on every campus

Why?

Schools shouldn't need to be turned into fortresses.

Does he think that will stop these sickos from shooting people up in other ways?

Children can still be shot when in groups on the way to schools and colleges, or on the way home. Bars, sports crowds, restaurants, supermarkets, festivals, theatres, cinemas, town centres, etc, etc. The list is absolutely endless. If someone has a gun and is determined to use it then the ONLY way you'll stop them is by preventing them having a gun in the first place.

Trump says "Americans must be allowed to defend themselves". You don't see the majority of the population in Ireland, Britain, France, Germany, Australia, etc, etc, strolling around with arms strapped to their waists and concealed in handbags. And hence such countries don't have mass shootings every other week.

Guns are the problem. The only problem.

Take guns away and you'll still have knife attacks I hear you say. Sure you will. That's part and parcel of the evil world we now live in.

But a lunatic with a knife can be overpowered. A lunatic with an automatic weapon is going to kill dozens.

A law should be passed for all the multi millions of guns in the US to be handed in under an amnesty. And anyone caught in possession of a weapon thereafter should be sentenced to life imprisonment. Hunting weapons should only be licensed under the very strictest of conditions. Gun crime figures would then plunge.

Of course this will never happen. People will scream about their right to "bear arms", the NRA have a vice like grip on politics and Republicans will veto anything the Democrats try to do.

A very, very sad world we now live in. Thousands murdered in Ukraine. Millions displaced. Wars all over the planet. Innocent children being shot to death by nutters every other week. Hundreds of millions starving globally. And the constant threat of nuclear annihilation hangs over the whole world. Politics has an awful lot to answer for.

I'm kind of glad I've lived out most of my life. It's my children and their children I worry about because planet Earth is no longer a nice place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Don’t forget that it’s an excellent opportunity for everyone to get on their high horse and condemn the US. We can all feel better about ourselves for a few days.

Extend your logic to your own posts on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's precisely because they are trained that the police hesitated to charge in. They didn't know how many were killed, how many were alive, and charging in gung-ho could have cause the death count to increase.

But I'm sure the local good ol' boys, had they been alerted, would have whipped their open carry pistol from their belt and LARP'd in unafraid. I'm actually surprised that didn't happen given it was Texas.

And you get to keep making posts with that sentiment so you can feel better than everyone else. But you're the cool guy.

BBC reporting that a man who attempted to shoot up a birthday graduation party with AR15 type weapon shot dead by a female party goer who had legal carry but was not law enforcement.

Solutions are solutions and given the US divisions the solutions won’t be found by not starting with reality.

trying to link

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Texas is an epic hole along with most of the pro-gun states. Their governor exists to deny women health care and make it easier for state residents to kill each other with firearms. Everything else about the State is a disaster - electrical grid is a joke, education system in the bottom 1/4 of all States, though it's economy is somewhat afloat due to oil revenues and farming.

Occasionally it makes noise about doing something wrt to gun control, but it doesn't last. Perhaps now it will, I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Some people look for attainable solutions, and some people (who are must be utterly clueless about the US) go on and on about banning guns outright. You may as well be a dog barking at a tree.

Schools are the target and these psychos like going into classrooms and slaughtering kids because it's an easy target where they are currently guaranteed to get their fill of helpless victims.

Schools should be secured and have a single point of entry. That's an absolute no brainer (and not only in the US either) High fencing and a security guard are not going to break the bank.

People in Texas should carry around a "Secret Abortion Clinic" sign in the car boot. Any time they need the cops just ring up and tell them there's an abortion happening, slap the sign up. They'll be straight in.

Robb Elementary had these regulations, but a door was left open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

What a terrible comment. That's very poor form. Like wow

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Spare us the faux outrage. You're in here trying to shut down a conversation about guns after 19 children and two teachers were murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Insulting large groups of people isn't discussion.

And more insults and insinuation from the like of you under the guide of discussion

But

"It's OK when we do it "

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's just like a reality tv version of coronation St. Child shooting victims and high ranking politicians as the main protagonists. Walk on parts for victims parents, gun rights advocates, celebrities. Stage managed press conferences and so on. It wvwn comes with a simple moral dilemma about gun control ans everyone is encouraged to take part by arguing a simplistic one-side-or-the-other dichotomy. How would it not be good entertainment?

GQP clown (41 posts uhuh new member yaaaah) swans in, takes a dig at various anti-gun politicians, tries to shut down discussion and then whines. You have a problem, use the report button. You want to discuss the shooting in Texas, well, fine. Make some points about it rather than just stirring the culture war.

By the way, in your first post here (on this account anyway) you spelled Beto in quotes. Why was that? Do you spell Rafael "Ted" Cruz in quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Interwlesting to see if the GOP givernor and senators in Texas actually implement any changes after this shooting leaves the news cycle. As bad as the iptics are i would at least respect them if they put state money into adding security for schools but i doubt they want ti spend the money. Sure the governor diverted money from mental heslth services to the boder fence project not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Schools are the target and these psychos like going into classrooms and slaughtering kids because it's an easy target where they are currently guaranteed to get their fill of helpless victims.

Making schools fortresses wont stop psychos. They'll just circumvent the inconvenience by choosing to slaughter children and/or adults elsewhere. They know they're ultimately going to get killed themselves anyway.

some people (who are must be utterly clueless about the US) go on and on about banning guns outright

There are multi millions of US citizens who want guns banned outright. I hardly think they are all "utterly clueless" about the US, seeing as they live there.

And, fyi, I am also not "utterly clueless" about the US, so I take exception at you categorising me as such by association. Be careful with your insults, because the next one I'll be reporting.

It's a pretty straightforward and simple equation really: if there are no guns then there will be no gun crime or mass shootings.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. An opinion that would no doubt change if an 8 year old child of your own was hysterically screaming for their parents, in sheer terror, before their short life was ruthlessly terminated.

And naturally didn't expand Medicaid under the PPACA which would've increased mental health aid, too. These **** won't do anything, they'll probably sacrifice the Uvalde sheriff's department is all, cluck a bit and then send a bunch of immigrants to DC or whatever stunt it was Abbott pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Several posters since this threads inception have scoffed at the idea at securing schools. Because they want to focus in on guns and guns only. No room for discussion or compromise. Its strip every American of their right to bear arms and their right to self defence. All or nothing. Except that argument gets no side anywhere. Criminals have guns and will always have guns despite any gun laws. 90+% of gun homicides are committed with illegally obtained firearms.

Responsible gun owners aren't the problem, it's criminals and freaks/incels on a suicide missions influenced by social media - just one of the many the problems that contribute to mass shootings. This cowardly male incel freak is just a product of todays toxic society.

The gun debate is a glimpse society being dumbed down. Monkey see / monkey do. People believing 13 y/o's can legally buy weapons. The news tell people its guns so its guns and nothing else. Except when Buffalo guy goes crazy is not guns , but white supremacy. Not my words , Joe Bidens.

And its too easy for foreigners to jump on the wagon because they don't understand what the culture it like out there. The "ah sure it'll be grand" mindset doesn't exist in America. Its a dangerous place where you van be killed for nothing. This sick pos and the botched response by the cops will and has made Americans less likely to give up their weapons. A fair minded person can see where they are coming from.

They should heavily fortify all the schools. That way the freak would have known he had a nice open window where no-one would come in to interfere and he could have just gone room to room slaughtering children. Wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Sandy Hook massacre, the day after it took place, was moved to second place on RTÉ News because of the death of Páidí Ó Sé, who was well-known but never held an office of state - and he died of natural causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

But police protocol in the US since Columbine said officers must enter the school straight away, regardless of the risk to their own lives. Ramos shot at civilians outside before he entered the school. Those shots must have been heard at the school - so why didn't the staff ensure that all doors were locked? If Ramos had shot a door open, that would have given some teachers an opportunity to wait inside their classrooms beside locked doors and get ready to use objects (chairs, paperweights, glass containers etc) to ambush him when he gained entry to the rooms.

Advertisement