Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Reidy, McGrath, O'Connor Jnr & Kearny all confirmed as leaving. We're extremely light in the prop front!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Just came here to post that. Surely we have to have a prop coming in?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am very confused, as I do not see how our squad can possibly cope with losing McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

He wasnt playing anytime soon anyway after needing another major hip op.

Surely early release, signed to 23?

We haven't needed him thankfully but we're extremely bare in depth for both sides of the scrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yea I can see why they were released, but I hope McGrath was let go with a backup in place. We're really light on props - quality ones anyway.

Reidy wasn't playing much anyway, Rea jr has overtaken him and there's Timoney, Murphy and Reffell who can all play openside.

Two backup 2nd rows being released presumably means more game time for Izzy and Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bradshaw-Ryan also. Saunderson may be an option at loose head. Milasonovic an option at th.

Saunderson is no where near ready, he got destroyed in u20 scrums I think it was

I knew I was missing someone.

Don't think saunderson is an option yet. As launish said, his scrum was very worrying at u20 level.

Callam Reid? There's no sense in keeping a lad who's physically wrecked. Jack was fantastic and obviously the hip problems have derailed his career. Ulster are right to let him go.

Is there anyone available to sign? I would expect Ulster to pick up a loose head. I doubt it will be a world class player.

I do hope Mick Kearney gets picked up. He is a good player and is still young. I rate him above Carter.

Next season, Izzy should get minutes and Bradshaw- Ryan could be a good pick up. Sheridan is also a good prospect and could make his debut. There's been some good locks in the pipeline for Ulster; McNamee and Glasgow! Both could be in the academy.

• Advertisement

Knowing Ulster they'll sign a tighthead capable of covering both sides.

In general I think there is serious questions across the front row depth. Definitely something a miss at Hooker after Herring.

John Andrew is very decent - very under-rated. Loved the fact that Bradley Roberts came through the clubs and had mad hair but not convinced he was ever better than Andrew in any aspect other than carrying.

Sorry to see Jack McGrath go, but that's entirely sentimental - he never really played for us and and never made it as a starter. I'd rather have someone half as good as he was in his pomp but who actually lines out for us.

The bigger loss in real terms is Kane, who has never been great but actually took the field and allowed us to rest Moore/ cover for TOT when he was in Ireland camp.

Warwick has been quietly great this season, and I'd say won't be properly appreciated until we no longer have him to rely on. His skills have sharpened, he's never injured, he's faced down all sorts of opposing international THs in the scrum. He's massively improved under the current coaching set-up. While the media have their fortieth repetitive conversation about how Molony is an "unsung hero" of Irish rugby, Warwick actually is.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kane was lucky to get his last contract IMO, was never good enough.

McGrath was never exceptional but he was consistently good enough, you never had to worry about him getting mangled in a scrum. Our loosehead options now are O'Sullivan, Warwick and Reid. 3 is not sufficient, if one of those lads gets injured then the other 2 will have a very heavy workload.

At tighthead we have Moore, O'Toole and Milasinovich. Same story here.

How many times did McGrath actually play for us? Warwick and O'Sullivan have had a brutal workload for two years now. We definitely need more props, but that has literally been true for a few seasons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

To answer my own question, McGrath joined in summer 2019 and has 24 appearances. I'd say the majority were off the bench. He's basically been on our books in little more than theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How many Appearances does Milasinovich? Possibly less return on his time?

I dunno, you could look it up on the Ulster website. Yeah, Milasinovich has probably made less appearances,but that's cause he's a back-up, not because he's been unavailable through injury.

The options would be limited for new signings. They may snag a NIQ? Perhaps, somebody from super rugby?;

McGrath has been a pale shadow of himself. The injury was devastating. I doubt he'll get signed anywhere, unless he was on a low salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Callum Reid's scrummaging improves then he will be some player. Moving McGrath on may give him more game time next season. Not that McGrath has featured much this season at all.

It looks like our props are...

Warwick, O'Sullivan, Reid

Moore, O'Toole, Milavonesvich

I've probably forgotten someone, but 6 props is nowhere enough, especially as O'Toole will likely be in Ireland squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I was really surprised that Reidy wasn't or didn't renew. A criminally underrated player IMO.

Back row options looking like this

Timoney, Rea Snr, Rea Jnr, McCann, Murphy, Vermuelen, Jones (is he still about?).

Have I forgotten someone? That doesn't seem like enough!

Reuben Crothers and possibly James McNabney (although he is pretty young) may come into the equation I suppose.

McNabney is hasn't even made the academy yet and he's still u20 next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play at all. His tackling looked a real weakness as well, so I doubt the coaches are in a rush to play him right now.

Looking at that list we really lack some forwards that you can count on to make metres and hit players behind the gainline, even Vermuelen isn't really that sort of player anymore. Timoney is very effective when gets the ball in the right situation.

Between Rea jr, Timoney and Vermuelen we're good for a turnover or two.

Yer man coming from Sarries. Sean Reffell.

Can't pretend I know anything about him or could pick him out of lineup - but I'll bet you anything I'll be calling him 'criminally underrated' after his first good game in an Ulster shirt, and I'll be calling for him to replace JVDF after his second.

I wonder if Ulster made a move for Dooley?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Milasinovich arrived with a very serious (ACl?) injury and missed his entire first season because of it.

Dooley & Murphy two players Ulster should of targeted and bent over backwards to get. Shocked to see Dooley is only 27, surely if he had moved to Ulster two seasons ago he’d be further along.

Same old story no ball carriers or blindsides!

Yep! Dooley at the very least would have provided depth. Murphy could have forced his way into the 23.

Warwick is having a very good season. Quite surprising how good he's been. E.O.S has not developed as I thought he would but, he's still young enough and I think can improve. Reid is still developing and is very young.

Who could they sign right now? I can't see them getting a top end loose head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s a pretty good signing. Give Marty Moore a bit of break.

Advertisement