Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone got any netflix recommendations?

Comedian ethics class is getting a bit played out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just finished Pieces of Her. Tis a good thriller / character drama; Toni Collette is amazing, as she often is.

I see Madagascar 2 was added a few days ago. Great family entertainment. My favourite scene:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S2 of Love & Anarchy is out on June 16th. I really enjoyed S1. Its a Swedish comedy/drama type thing about a married woman who strikes up a relationship with the young IT guy at her new job. Short episodes, short series, recommend it, especially if anyone watched the Norwegian show Home For Christmas, it's not exactly the same but similar vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

Coming to Netflix in June

Date TBC

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Angel Eyes

Archive

Bad Country

Bros: After the Screaming Stops

Legend

Swallows and Amazons

The Ghost Writer

The Good Shepherd

June 1st

100 Días con la Tata (Spanish)

Burning Love

Carriers

Deliver Us From Eva

Escobar: Paradise Lost

Iluzja (Polish)

Malverde, El Santo Patron (Mexican)

Man of Tai Chi

Run Fat Boy Run

The Client List

The Craigslist Killer

The Crow

The Ledge

The Man With the Iron Fists 2 (Chinese)

Tremors 5: The Bloodline

Untraceable

June 2nd

#ABTalks: Season 2 (Emirati)

Borgen – Power & Glory: Season 1 (Danish)

Change Days: Season 1 (Korean) [weekly episodes]

Detak (Indonesian)

Heartbeat (Indonesian)

Palau Plastik

June 3rd

As the Crow Flies: Season 1 (Turkish)

Barbie: It Takes Two: Season 1

Floor is Lava: Season 2

Interceptor

Mr. Good: Cop or Crook?: Season 1 (Norwegian)

Surviving Summer: Season 1

The Perfect Mother: Season 1 (French)

Two Summers: Season 1 (Belgian)

June 4th

A New Beginning [Un Nuevo Comienza] (Spanish)

La Rusa (Spanish)

The Coming War on China

The Extraordinary Tale of the Times Table

The Invocation of Enver Simaku (Spanish)

The Spider’s Web: Britain’s Second Empire

The Waiter (Greek)

Twilight of The Yakuza (German)

We Don’t Like Captain Sausage: The Golden Age of Spanish Videogames [No nos gusta Capitán Morcilla! La edad de oro del software español] (Spanish)

June 6th

50 Liters life (Italian)

A Real Life [au voleur] (French)

Action Pack: Season 2

Bill Burr Presents: Friends Who Kill

Four Points [Cuatro Puntas: Música desde abajo] (Spanish)

Long March to Freedom

My Spy

On the Trails of Glaciers: ission to Alaska (Italian)

Spaced Out

The Intelligent Hand

The Lancaster at War

June 7th

Over Her Dead Body

That’s My Time with David Letterman: Season 1 (First three episodes)

June 8th

Baby Fever: Season 1 (Danish)

Gladbeck: The Hostage Crisis (German)

Hustle

Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey: Limited Series

June 9th

Rhythm + Flow France: Season 1 (French)

Stand Out: An LGBTQ+ Celebration

June 10th

Chickenhare and the Hamster of Darkness

First Kill: Season 1

Intimacy: Season 1 (Spanish)

Trees of Peace

June 11th

Amy Schumer’s Parental Advisory

Hugo

June 13th

Charlie’s Colorforms City: Season 2

Pete Davidson Presents: The Best Friends

June 14th

Halftime

Jane Fonda & Lily Tomlin: Ladies Night Live

June 15th

Centauro (Spanish)

God’s Favorite Idiot: Season 1

Iron Chef: Quest for an Iron Legend: Season 1

Maldivas: Season 1 (Brazilian)

The Wrath of God (Argentinian)

June 16th

Bohemian Rhapsody

Collision (South African)

Dead End: Paranormal Park: Season 1

Karma’s World Music Videos: Volume 2

Love & Anarchy: Season 2 (Swedish)

Sing, Dance, Act: Kabuki featuring Toma Ikuta (Japanese)

Snoop Dogg’s F*cn Around Comedy Special

June 17th

She: Season 2 (Hindi)

Spiderhead

The Martha Mitchell Effect

The War Next Door: Season 2 (Mexican)

You Don’t Know Me: Season 1 (BBC)

June 18th

Longboarding: LA to NY

SPRIGGAN: Season 1 (Japanese)

June 19th

Civil: Ben Crump

June 20th

The Craft: Legacy

June 21st

Joel Kim Booster: Psychosexual

The Future Of: Season 1

June 22nd

Bruna Louise: Demolition (Brazilian)

Love & Gelato (Italian)

The Umbrella Academy: Season 3

June 23rd

Queen (Polish)

June 24th

Man Vs Bee: Season 1

Money Heist: Korea – Joint Economic Area: Season 1 (Korean)

The Man from Toronto

June 28th

Blasted (Norwegian)

June 30th

The Upshaws: Season 2

BASTARD-Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy-: Season 1 (Japanese)

My son is 12. He will go for that!

Now that I think about it my mrs likes shows like just for laughs. We'll all watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Showing my age when I see the film Interceptor listed for June and think at first it's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Getting really weird flashes of memory here: was that some gimmicky Game Show where contestants had to flee some dude, all the while wearing light-gun receptors on their back or some such?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Advertisement

With Annabel Croft. Good weekend afternoon viewing back in the day.

I have no idea how this could be stretched to a series, when it looks more like a film, but Rowan Atkinson in full slapstick mode? I'm intrigued...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

"We Don’t Like Captain Sausage: The Golden Age of Spanish Videogames"

Having tried (and failed) to play through the two text-based Don Quijote games with friends as a kid, I will be watching this. And possibly having weird flashbacks.

if you liked 'borat' you'll like it , might not be for a 12 year old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

best line for me was " lose the cock ladies " priceless, and twitter is all outrage today yeah must be doing something right !!

Stranger Things Season 4 (2019) When a young boy vanishes, a small town uncovers a mystery involving secret experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one strange little girl..

Kedibone (2020) An aspiring actor from Soweto manages to pay for school with her boyfriend's help. But life as a Johannesburg "it girl" comes at an even greater cost.

Added

Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey Trailer out june 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You are not my mother.

Has been added, not watched but meant to be fairly decent Irish horror

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Two episodes into Stranger Things Season 4, and the main thing I'm feeling is that the increased length per episode is a mixed bag. I can sort of see what they're trying to do (make space for multiple storylines so that additional characters have a bit of time on-screen without feeling crowbarred in), but even so I feel there's some stuff that's needlessly dragged out.

We'll see how we go for the rest, but I'm honestly a bit surprised that every episode is over an hour long and the last episode (one of 2 adding as "Part 2" in July) is 150 minutes long!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve always been of the opinion that streaming shows should embrace the flexibility offered and have varying runtimes per episode as required. Whether it’s 10 mins or 90 mins, let the story and flow of a particular episode dictate how long it should be.

But even for me, 2.5 hours for a single episode seems ‘a bit much’. I’ve only seen the first episode of the new Stranger Things so far, and obviously have to wait a while for the part two finale. But unless there’s something really, really special and unique about that finale that demands an extended running time… I don’t know why they couldn’t have just split that into two or more episodes. I guess we can only reserve judgement until we see it, but even with the mountain of characters it’ll need to do something special to justify an episode that’s the length of a long film!

• Advertisement

I've seen the discussion about run times come up a lot lately, more so to do with films than TV, but I'm of the opinion that things should be as long as they need to be. The problems arise when people, directors, editors, etc. don't know how long that actually is. I've watched 150 minute films that zipped along, and I've watched 90 minute films that felt like they went on for days.

As far as Stranger Things goes, and I haven't started the new season yet, but I've seen several reviews say that certain characters feel like they've past their usefulness now and trying to keep them involved is part of the reason some episodes feel overly long, but again that probably depends on your own personal feelings about those characters. I already know which two storylines are going to struggle to keep my interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I agree - there should be no upper limit for film running times as long as they justify their length.

TV I think is a slightly different situation as by its very nature it’s split into clear chunks - I’ve seen a lot of shows that feel like a ‘long film’ but still easily find natural breaks to separate into digestible episodes.

Of course, I can absolutely imagine a case where a 2.5 hour long (or longer) episode of tv would be justified - it could even be the case here! But I do think Stranger Things can wrap itself up in a lot of busy storylines in an unwieldy manner, and even be a tad self-important. I still enjoy the show (despite it’s bad habits), so we’ll see how it fares when every episode is feature length.

Whatever about the length, I've lost count of the number of shows where, for one reason or another, characters are kept around even though they're long past when their arcs were completed. It's quite maddening cos it nearly almost clogs up a story.

I think I actually read something last week where Millie Bobbie Brown even said something like that about Stranger Things, not sure if it was her or the journalist said the Duffers struggle to kill their darlings. Only for I want to keep Winona around, I'd have gotten rid of both Will and Jonathan after S1. The end of S3 death could have stuck too, as far as I'm concerned.

The most maddening thing with Stranger Things for me is how little use has been made of Lucas, who despite a decent casting is really feeling like a Token Black Character. Feels like a real miss on the writing front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

On the topic of episode lengths I have to say Love Death and Robots was incredible, all episodes around the ten minute mark but not rushed..

Love death and robots is superb. 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this but just under 2 years since I posted this, knuckle is on Netflix. I watched it again and still blown away by it. It’s rare that an audience get a real insight rather than caricature YouTube videos. Thoroughly recommend.

Lucifer Season 1-6 (2021) Bored with being the Lord of Hell, the devil relocates to Los Angeles, where he opens a nightclub and forms a connection with a homicide detective.

Safe House Season 1 (2017) A couple planning to open a quiet B&B find themselves drawn into a web of danger and lies when they agree to use the property as a safe house instead.

quite a few older spanish releases too

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Advertisement

Was wondering why Lucifer was being promoted but I forgot Netflix didn't have the earlier seasons.

Advertisement