Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10-10-20 for growing vegetables?

Options
  • 28-05-2022 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭

I have come into a couple pails of CAN 10-10-20.

Is it suitable for growing vegetables? If I mixed it with generic composts, say 50:50, and just dressed the base of the veg, would it burn the veg? I worry that it's a bit strong but veg can and do consume a lot of fertilizer, plus I don't have tonnes of use for it otherwise. I'd rather not waste it on the lawn, kind of wish the lawn would die off and more veg and berries planted, but that's another story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Certainly far from ideal on lawns and I can't think of anything off hand (except potatoes which love it and fruit crops) that would benifit from the extra pottassium - the 20 in 10-10-20) You can't really go wrong with any general purpose feritliser at about 30 grams to the square meter or ounce to the square meter.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fruit crops? Like raspberries, strawberries, blueberries? Or pears and apples? Because we're dedicating a far percentage to grow the former, which has been slow growing, especially the blueberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A small amount for the soft fruits perhaps but its not ideal for most veg or fruit trees. It has a benefit for root vegetables though. It's also recommended for beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Like... garlic, onions and beets (the 3 root veg I grow?) Mix the fert in before planting, or can you topdress with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Carrots, parsnips, beets, turnip, potatoes and less so onions and garlic.

If you go easy with it you'll be fine for most veg but avoid for brassica.

• Advertisement
Advertisement