Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They could add a story, interesting characters, interesting enemies....

I attempted another playthrough recently (I was drowning in map markers btw, more than I remembered!), because I never managed to finish the game and as I once again lost interest I tried to put my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

I mean the story is ok, but I don't care about story in games. Enemy variety could be better. NPCs could be more fleshed out. Weapon breaking is annoying. But I don't think it's any of those things.

I think it's because despite BOTW having an expertly crafted world, I just don't *believe* it. I mean, it's great to have an open world where if you explore enough you might find hidden treasure or Easter eggs, all great open world games do this. Obviously the game is designed around the player right? That's the point.

But BOTW does it so much that it feels less like a real world and more like Link's playground. Every inch of the map has hidden treasure or korok seeds or whatever, you're practically tripping over them. It's kind of absurd how much "secret" stuff there is, as if every rock and tree was placed there just for Link. It's too much.

I don't think this makes it a bad game. It just doesn't make me feel like it's a proper world. It's a matter of taste. But I can see why people love it. I just don't feel the same way about it. I certainly won't be getting the sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh no not again

😂

Honestly that's my last word on it. I gave it one last go. I'm done. 👍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait.

Wait now.

Does BOTW have map markers? I need to know 🤓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In an attempt to hopefully distract ye from getting into another BOTW map markers "conversation", and without throwing shade at any DS type game (because that would 100% distract ye), I checked my PS5 playtime list and was not surprised to see Rocket League on top with over 700 hours, but what was in second and third surprised me. CoD: Advanced Warfare with 450+ hours and Black Ops 3 with just under 400 below it. AW is nearly 8 years old. BlOps3 is nearly 8. Nothing in the last 7 years has come close to them. Man, I really want an AW2!!! And I don't count Rocket League because I'm playing that on/off since launch-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sorry for bringing it up again. 😆

I think I need to go to the equivalent of an AA meeting for video game addiction.

It could be an AAA meeting

😆😆😆

There are some very interesting BBC archive videos on YouTube including this one re: Nintendo and the Japanese video game industry in 1990.

It's shocking how low Miyamoto's (and other Nintendo employee) renumeration was given the billions they were generating for the company.

Yeah, it wasn't common for games to have credits for developers either I think, out of fear that they would get poached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I went to play it again recently. I opened the box and a load of map markers fell all over the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You work for a japanese company for life which means a lot of japanese workers end up shafted as the best way to increase your wage is to move jobs. It's a pretty **** place to work by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Breath of the wild is a terrible Zelda game and the weapon degradation system is awful.
    • All PlayStation exclusives are exactly the same and the only reason they get any attention is because they look nice.
    • All of From software's games are massively overrated and would be much better with an easy mode.
    • Nintendo's hardware is underpowered and overpriced but their fanboys delude themselves into thinking nice art design makes up for it.
    • I can't think of a controversial Xbox opinion cos that platform is practically irrelevant.

There, that should cover the next 10 or so pages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That a new gameplay feature in the sequel? It’ll probably be slightly more popular than the weapon degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Just in relation to FPS, I picked up Hard Reset Redux on the PS for about €1.20 and I've been really enjoying it over the last couple of nights. I've skipped by all the in-between level stuff because it looks terrible and it's absolute twaddle but the game itself is good fun. It's made by the same crowd that make Shadow Warrior and it gets a lot more fun when you get the katana. If you have a hankering for an old school style shooter, it's with a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm getting old. I was playing a game this evening and was lying on the couch and what ever way I was lying I F**ked my back up. I'm in so much pain right now I can hardly type on the keyboard. I have no idea how this happened, like I didn't lift anything heavy or over exert myself. Mystery.

I've been catching myself slightly leaning to the left while playing recently. I'm correcting myself because it leads to stuff like that! Sounds like whatever way you were lying it was the straw to break the camels back, so to speak. Do you do a lot of lifting for work, kids, etc?

It might be due to your ergonomic setup at your desk. I had back pain years ago and that was the cause, my chair and monitor setup was all wrong. Here's a link below, perhaps your workplace has a Health & Safety guy who'll work with you on it.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/office-ergonomics/art-20046169

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to start playing Sniper Elite 5 over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Bad posture, sitting the wrong way, slouching, etc, can and most like will cause you life changing injuries. Ask me how I know.

Just got GTA5, Xbox Series X version. 😆

It's like treacle crossed with molasses in 30 FPS quality mode on my OLED tv. Now, OLED is definitely a big disappointment for me for 30 FPS games. Unplayable I'd even say. Be warned if you are thinking of getting an OLED tv.

Maybe it's next gen games not being optimised for 30 FPS. Maybe it's me, but a quick Google and others have the same issue.

I need to connect up the Switch and see what its 30 FPS games play like.

However, GTA5 6O FPS Performance RT is lovely. The driving is super smooth, responsive and the game is much faster to load. Rushed through it the first time I played, so will take my sweet time this time.

I ordered a gaming chair to help my back. I was going to get an expensive one and had it in the cart and then decided to check Smyths and they had one for €140. I know it's cheap so it may not be that great but it's better than the old couch I use for gaming and general browsing the web. I did have a chair a few months ago and it broke and then I was looking after my mothers dog while she was in America for two weeks so I got her old couch so the dog could sit beside me and feel more comfortable while I looked after her. Worked out good for the few months until I done my back in two days ago.

I got one of these for work, as I don't have the setup for a proper chair, so I have this useless bamboo bowl of an armchair instead. But with this, I don't have as many pains.

Work wouldn't pay for it, but would pay upwards of €250 for a chair... May not suit everyone, but works for me anyway. It moves around so requires adjusting, but is a handy cheaper option. Albeit, I still have to ensure I don't slouch down into it.

The answer is in your post: " playing a game this evening lying on the couch"

Gotta look after your posture.

I suppose gaming is technically a sport nowadays, maybe we should all be doing warm up stretches 😄

If you are going from a desk job to gaming then that isn't good for the body. I think lockdown didn't help here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like anything else in life, you need to take exercise. 30-60 minutes cardio and it'll help immeasurably with posture issues.

Had various problems with my ribs and chest. All down to sitting at a desk for work. The physio helped but his advice came back to that same thing: taking that exercise is the cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And take breaks. Whether gaming or working, get up and walk around/stretch for a few mins every hour.

• Advertisement

I don't do any exercise at all. Drive every where too. I used to go to the gym a few nights a week and go for short jogs but stopped that a couple of years ago.

Advertisement