Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Except how is that a fair comparison when the majority of the current Leinster squad havent hit their peak yet? It feels here the only players playing in the current Leinster team that got picked were clear cut in their position, in nearly every other selection the benefit of the doubt was given to the player that played before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

The pitch for tomorrow is already cutting up bad in the Challenge Cup Final. Hopefully it doesn’t cause any issues for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is this signing actually happening? He seems to be a really good player but I can't make heads nor tails of why Leinster are signing a centre.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ala'alatoa made no sense at first last year. Maybe Frawley's moving back to 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Frawley probably is going to switch back. Sexton is coming into his last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Ngatai could be a great squad player.

I read somewhere that of the starting 15 today only Ross Molony has played in the URC more than 8 times this season.

Leinster need players for the URC and will be very short at the start of the 23/24 season when potentially 20 players might be at the world cup. In the last 2 years we have had to play Ross and Harry Byrne at auxiliary centres and are losing Rory o loughlin at the end of the season.

Maybe sexton will be given a 6 month sabbatical after the summer tour.. who knows..

Frawley if he gets more time at 10 could be a great option for a number 22 Jersey next season..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I cannot see sexton taking six months out of the game 12 months before he's due to retire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Maybe not six months.. but potentially from the end of the NZ tour until Xmas.. if it got him to the World cup in better condition it could be worth it

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In truth he would be playing sfa rugby between summer and 2023. Probably get a 60 min run for Leinster before the SA and Aus in Nov. Then nothing till Dec and the HC first round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,460 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looked like hint of a forward pass leading up to that try.

Barnes has penalised La Rochelle 7 or so times in 12 minutes but nothing resembling a talking to for their captain or anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lads the same questions about Leinster have once again been raised. When the pressure came on we couldn't get our attacking game going. Handling errors abound and inaccuracies in our passing and decision-making.

Starting to wonder if they just don't have the mentality to win through when put under severe pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Completley dominated in every aspect of the game, saw this coming, bottlers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dublin49

our scrum is the problem .confidence affected as all terrified to knock on as guaranteed peno against us,better team won ,no complaints,

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Rookie head coach with a depleted team got the better of Cullen. I know people wont agree but cullen needs to be held account at some stage

I'm disappointed for Sexton. It's his last chance to win a Champions Cup and he said it himself in the build up to the match.

I genuinely don't know where Leinster goes from here. We developed a more expansive attacking game in reaction to defeats against La Rochelle and Saracens. But in the face of a high pressure final we reverted to basic rugby and we're swallowed up. Either we don't learn or we are incapable of keeping our heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bryne unfortunately did not have a good cameo. Seemed very disrupted by La Roc pressure. Thought our kicking game was poor enough today. Didn't get much pressure on garryowens, and couldn't check their rush with kicks behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Don't think I've ever been so annoyed at a lost game. We fuckin threw it away. It looked to me like thry sealed the ball off multiple times last 5 minutes, Barnes didn't give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Same old story. Complete bottle job. Went into our shells and crumbled when it mattered most, again. Our attack never got going and we were completely bullied up front yet again. We absolutely deserved to lose. None of our big players stepped up and we're just a very mentally weak bunch.

Sexton's absolute howler was the turning point IMO. Keenan's compounded it.

6 years of Leo and Stuart and 1 European Cup. Not good enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think La Rochelle deserve credit more than it being Leinster being bad. They're very good at the breakdown. Leinster weren't able to get their fast ruck ball game going for more than a few phases in the whole game. In contrast, La Rochelle's ball was clean and they could play at the tempo they wanted.

It's hugely disappointing, but there was no lack of effort out there today.

I thought the scrum and maul actually held up pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭VeryOwl

Cullen has very little to do with it, I think. The team finished bottom of their Euro pool when he was the coach. Lancaster coaches the team now. It is what it is. He's far better than Smith was at building the squad by getting young players up to speed quickly, which is more than enough to win the league, but he's not as good at prepping the team for peak performances against the very best opposition.

Smith's v. Lancaster's Leinster in the Heineken Cup is the same story as how they both got on coaching in the 6N, which begs the question where do Leinster go from here? Would bringing in a McNamara as attack coach make enough of a difference? It's not as if Leinster are far away. They just need that extra one or two percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Couldn't agree more. From around 60 mins on, we seemed to just be hoping to hang on.

A full strength Leinster scoring no points with an extra man is fairly indicative of where the performance was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We couldn't adapt to the pressure they were putting on the 2nd receiver channel. There was space to exploit but we rarely found it. Our offloading game was very minimal today, which stymied the flow of the attacking wave.

Leinster and Ireland need to work on the ability to counter that rush. It's going it be the main area teams will look to attack us. Either faster passes to beat the edge, kicks behind the defensive line, or have a player who can offload thru the tackle.

Yeah. La Rochelle's defence had obviously been prepared well to counter Leinster's attack. But could Leinster's attack have been prepared better to deal with La Rochelle's defence?

Would Murphy at blindside and McCarthy in from the start have resulted in La Rochelle players being cleared out of the breakdown more effectively?

Posted in the match thread but will put it here too:

It's disappointing from a Leinster perspective as clearly we'd learned from the defeat to La Rochelle last year, but errors crept in elsewhere.

They did a number on us at the breakdown in the semi final and turned us over so often. This time around we sent two clearers to every ruck and generally held onto the ball. But we couldn't do anything with the fast ball generated. We saw very little in the way of forwards acting as passing options or us trying to stretch the La Rochelle defence side to side. Some of that is down to La Rochelles hard work, but there was an inaccuracy to Leinsters play that was self inflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Congrats to VDF. Excellent player and well deserving of the award. It's a toss up between himself and Henshaw as Leinsters best player today.

But you know he won't give a shite about winning the award right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We're the new All Blacks from 1987-2011 or current Man City. Serial bottlers.

We have by the best, most expensive squad in Europe yet we choke every single year. I'm just fed up.

Everybody was creaming themselves over our forwards throwing a few nice passes v Toulouse, but yet again they fail to front up against the big boys. We need a Thorn, Hines or Fardy in that pack. Our second row is tiny and I think that's also the root of our scrum problems. Furlong is not a weak scrummager.

I really don't know where we go from here. Something needs to change. One Heineken Cup in 10 years is pitiful given our resources and player pool.

Advertisement