Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

They didn't win the RWC from 1987 until 2011. But you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

First rocky had the best ever season by a Leinster player

No one bottled anything today

It's a final, no one's a dead cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It was always going to be a tough assignment; in France against a French team with a big pack and good scrum who are good in defence and at the breakdown. The people calling it beforehand as an easy Leinster win were well wide of the mark.

If it was just a one-off I'd be inclined to call it a good effort but just coming up short against the better team on the day. But losing like this is becoming an unpleasant trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The team didn't bottle today, at least not in the physicality stakes. I thought we did an excellent job defensively throughout the match, generally drove them back repeatedly by tens of meters and most of their attacking sense. Two of their scores came from close in drives.

Inaccuracy and poor decisions cost us. This was one of those 50/50 days where taking the points perhaps was the wrong call, when we should have built pressure and got in a score and maybe a card out of it.

• Advertisement

Look at our team!! It's the Ireland team ffs. Today was the very definition of a bottle job. If we played at 80% of what we were capable of we would have won comfortably, and we should have won comfortably. Our squad is just better than theirs. And they were missing two of their best players and one was on one leg.

Do we need a new coach? Lancaster has a track record of failure on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Ah I disagree. It wasn't 50/50. Leinster choked at the final hurdle again. Had Kerr Barlow and Vito been available, we may have been murdered. We barely had the ball, made bad mistakes and just didn't take advantage of anything. La Rochelle were deserved winners but we were muck.

Leinster at full pelt, not scoring a point with an extra man, is a choke.

I think Barnes failing to yellow red zone infringements hurt us doubly. Both on our scoring opportunities, and conversely on theirs. We might have been better off if they had scored around the 70-75 min mark. Let's us out of the 22 and gives us some time to get down their half again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TeamOfMe

Better try at the death in the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final.

10 minutes of anti-rugby and La Rochelle pummel and batter over.

No nootrals won over by that snooze-fest.

They didn't score because la Rochelle have away multiple penalties to kill attacks. Different day/ ref and those get a card and the game is different.

Leinster's attack was poor for sure, but it's nuanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's fair and maybe you're right. It just felt like we never really had a sustained attack. It was like we got ahead and the goal was to maintain the lead. And it resulted in unimaginative rugby.

That said, Sexton/Keenans failure to dispose of the ball will live up there with that Ringrose missed pass in 2019.

I wouldn't really call it a bottle job. True, only maybe four of the La Rochelle team would make a combined XV but they have some very physical players, and they play as a team and are technically good in the carry, in defence, and at the breakdown.

For me the story of the game was their defence being able to stop Leinster swinging it wide and making big inroads down the wing, and their breakdown work making Leinster's ball be not clean.

It was a bad sequence but we got away with it. JGP going off his feet caused the penalty, which I thought was a bit picky in itself. Leinster secured that ruck almost immediately, JGP has little impact on it. Just one of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Most people with any clue know Stuart Lancaster is the best thing to happen to irish rugby since Joe schmidt. Coaches can't always be blamed for players not performing. Bad mistakes cost leinster today in tight game. Sexton not clearing the ball into touch and mistakes like knocks ons putting pressure on our scrum and forcing us to defend against tanks of men for large periods. Yes leinster lost but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. I think when LAR went to 14 leinster showed a slight sign of exposing them thru ringrose but if I recall Byrne knocked on and LAR got a penalty from a high tackle from Gibson Park and they squeezed leinster from there denying them any possession. These are the small margins big games are won and lost on. A powerful display by LAR today without a couple of key players too so credit to them and their belief. They had been driven back by leinster for the majority of the game when in attack. Few uncharacteristic mistakes cost us today. Think this one is on the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Who cares. If you don't want to watch it, dont

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TeamOfMe

Just stands out. These big gorillas waddling around for ten minutes and trying to get scrum after scrum to get an opponent binned.

Those same blades of grass got a good trampling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

We hear alot about the dark arts of rugby and La Rochelle had a master class in it today, This is not a bad loser post but more an admiration of how they done it

In the ruck constantly they would hit JGP arm, at least once should have been a yellow card but it was let go and we took the kick. Sexton didn't really protest

A number of times players blocked the tackling player. We can't complain as Heaslip done it for the first Sexton try in 2011.

The ruck was just players jumping in to slow it down, going after the ball, hands on the balls, dragging in players etc etc

Leinster didn't take advantage of the yellow card. That was the losing of the game. Leinster should have got a yellow card during all those penalties.

Bit admiration for La Rochelle, they pushed it and got away with it....

Really have to question the choice not to go to the attacking line-out more. Our maul was dominant, and they were going up penalties almost everytime we used it. We failed to put them under pressure at all with it. That one before half time was a real missed opportunity imo. They were creaking, having given up multiple penalties. Great chance for a score and/ or a card

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Yeah I was thinking leinster had them on the ropes in those two minutes before half time. But leinster had just got.out of jail the far end and I think the 3 points were very handy with time running down and put out the lead back to 5. I think they would have seen it as a psychological win going in 5 up instead of possibly 5 down if LAR had scored the other end. If leinster had went in at half time after butchering an opportunity instead of taking 3 points on offer in a tight game then it would have been a psychological win for LAR. Its hard to know what's the correct call sometimes but I think taking the 3 on offer there was correct. If and buts I know. I think when leinster look back at this they would change plenty. For once I don't think they werent man handled up front like previous years losses but the basic errors and bad decision making cost them. The LAR second try was criminal with numerous errors. Clearing kick, penalty by JGP and the poor maul defense. Leinster defended the maul reasonable well today apart from that one when the were poorly positioned. Small margins but have a cumulative effect.

It's hard to turn down those shots at goal in a final when they were all gimme threes in front of the posts. But it was a change from how Leinster usually play. They hardly take shots at goal from penalties at all in most games. But I suppose most teams don't have as good defence as La Rochelle, so in most games it doesn't come into it because Leinster are banging in the five-pointers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

While I don't agree with the majority of this post I do agree that 1 European Cup isn't enough. The problem is more of a mental one now, we negated La Rochelle pretty well compared to last year but decisions like Sextons/keenans are from poor decision making under pressure. I'm not sure how we fix that, maybe a new sports psychology team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The first try was a mistake

The second try after Leinster had pulled away and looked like scoring again was down to another stupid error.

If they didnt happen we would be praising the team for keeping the score board ticking over and opening up a big enough gap

Hindsight is a great thing after the game

It's a poor return over the last 5 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Very disappointing! Fair play to LA Rochelle, they deserved it. Better team won. Not really a bottle job, imo, just couldn't get a foothold or parity up front. How do we fix it? First, Porter needs to up his weight and learn to scrum on the loosehead side. His weakness is being targeted. Second, HB has got to be tried more. RB had a shocker. They should have left Sexton on. I don't think it's a mental block, it's more of having to play fast paced high risk rugby. Today, was a poor performance. Overall, La Rochelle won the collisions and got over the gainline. Today was a very poor day for Conan and Doris. They weren't at the races. Leinster spent the sin bin period in their own half! Very poor loss, worse than the loss to Sarries. Not once during the 2nd half did I think we were going to breach the defense or even win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Any word on what happened to Kelleher?

Questions have got to be asked. This happens every single season. It's standard that we come up with one absolute stinker of a performance every season. It's part of a coach's job to get his team into the right headspace to perform to the best of it's ability. Leinster were a team well below the sum of their parts today. As we were in the semi last season, and the quarter final the year before, and the final the year before.

At what point do questions need to be asked? How many more times do we need to bottle it until we consider that the guy who failed to get out of the group with England at their own world cup, might not be this messiah figure who holds the keys to success for Leinster and Ireland?

0 trophies in 4 years with England and pool stage elimination at RWC 2015

1 Heineken Cup in 6 years with Leinster

Some record!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Shoulder again. Second time its been injured since returning from the original against Connacht. I would like to see him take the summer off but i know it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We're in a difficult spot for next week! How many of today's team start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Amazing to think that in the last 4 seasons of European rugby Leinster have only lost to La Rochelle, Saracens, and Toulouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

12 points Favosites going into the game and were probably that far off themselves. Andy Farrell wont be happy as when people watch Ireland play so often everyone will see the weak spots. Sexton was poor and backline look poor if Lowe is kept quiet. Ross looked nervous as hell, but hasn't played much lately. Ross should have been playing instead of Harry if you want him seeing out a major cup final. Cullen has really messed this up again and its annoying because i feel if Ireland were to win in NZ Leinster needed to win this.

Advertisement