Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White, shrimp-like larvae in the soil

Options
  • 28-05-2022 6:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could someone identify these for me, please? I think I was told before what they were, but I can't remember at all. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Would imagine vine weevil, they'll be pupating at the mo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks. Best to remove them from the soil and feed them to the birds, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Vine weevils are very destructive, I noticed some circular bites out of a lily leaf last year but could not find the culprit, this year I most certainly have, they are attacking my lupins in pots and by the time they start to wilt, 50:50 chance of survival. I have been immersing the pots in water for 48 hours, seems to work early on but not now. Collected 6 of the adults tonight with a torch but think I will have to resort to chemicals.

Any advice would be appreciated as I have read that nematodes are quite tricky to apply correctly and expensive too.

Advertisement