Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFFICIAL Buildup Thread - Leinster vs Stade Rochelais Champions Cup Final 28/05/2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Leinster aren't Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There'll be a lot of ugly stuff in Leinsters post match analysis when they're back training next week. Most if it will be technical stuff which we wouldn't notice but the coaches will.

But one of the obvious errors Leinster made, in my view, was not going for the corner when they had a penalty. In finals it's important to take points, but I think we stuck to a gameplan rather than adapt to the flow of the game. Leinsters driving maul was actually excellent and they won at least 3 penalties from that. There was an element if cautiousness that I hadn't seen in other Leinster games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Maybe, but you've got to remember that for the last penalty LAR were down to 14, so made sense to take advantage of the full 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leinster never settled the whole game, never played their normal game.

Congrats to Ronan O'Gara. He did a lot of work to make it as a coach, spending a few years with the Crusaders in New Zealand.

I can't believe how Cullen couldn't get Leinster to do their thing in the second half. They were just nervous the whole game.

I'm a Connacht fan myself but I'll always shout for an Irish team if it's not against us.

I'm gonna have great fun over the next few days destroying Munster fans celebrating this. I'll be calling them all sorts of names, all anti-Ireland names. I'll go on to them about not having a song of their own too and using the Connacht song. 😁

• Advertisement

When do you ever see the first Leinster player in possession go straight into an opposing player and try set up a ruck. This happened all game and what I normally see from Leinster is trying to stay on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

La Rochelle have never won any major honours so not really a valid comparison. Most teams haven't built up years of rivalry with them. Everyone is happy for the new kids on the block when they win first time around. When they start dominating that's when the mood changes.

Leinster are among the top teams in Europe for 15 years and have a stranglehold on their league so some people not wanting them to win is much more to be expected than people in France not wanting La Rochelle to win.

Any Irishman celebrating an Irish loss to a foreign team is a disgrace in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Hard Luck Leinster. More than a few players didn’t have good games today.

(plenty of Irony in this thread btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

you don't get out much do you, ever met a Biarritz fan that wants a Bayonne team to win, visa versa?

WASPS and Leicester in the noughties...

its everywhere... its respect too.... but go out and see the sporting world....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im only dipping in to this thread now....apologies if this has already been mentioned...but how in the name of god did Wayne Barnes not put a leinster player in the bin for the last 5-10 minutes???

Persistent penalties on their own line...he didnt even seem to warn them!!

Very nearly cost La Rochelle but thankfully justice was done in the end.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

For the same reason he didn't YC a LAR player in the first half. Consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think this hits the nail on the head. All players worked hard but several made little impact... O'Brien, Moloney, Porter, Furlong, Dorris, Park, Sexton, Keenan.

Of the remaining players you could only really say Van Der Flier had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

For me this is the biggest point to come out of the game. Did they get sucked into playing "Cup Final" rugby by taking the 3 points every time? I'm sure there are smarter people than me who know this, but I'd love to know how far along rugby analytics are with regard to when is it correct to take the 3 vs kicking to the corner. In the NFL there are models which tell you whether it's wiser to go for it on 4th down or kick a field goal, surely similar exists in rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yeah, Celtic v Rangers, assorted other soccer derbies (not just England), KK v Wex, Galway v Mayo, Falls v Shankill, Russia v Ukraine - no point hating someone unless you can rub their nose in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That's funny because in the nfl they famously take the statistically wrong decision every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster didn't deserve to win. Very simple!

Poor performance. But, congratulations to LA Rochelle and ROG. It's kind of a shame ROG couldn't do it for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Were LAR’s players underestimated? Even in the backs, Ruhle would be a handful for any defence and we’ve seen lots of Danty and Dulin before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

If Leinster had a Rocky Elsom they would have won that game, I thought the backrow was poor only JVDF fronted up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭abff

The Munster-Leinster thing reminds me of the old riddle.

Q. Where in Ireland would you find local fans supporting England?

A. In Tipperary if they were playing against Kilkenny.

I find it difficult to comprehend, as I will always, always support any Irish team against any team from another country (unless they’re playing against Spurs, in which case I plead forgiveness for a lifelong obsession). I can understand fanatical support for the team that you have latched onto; I find it pretty much impossible to understand those people who seem to get more joy out of their rivals doing badly than they do out of their own team doing well.

And when it comes to hoping that an Irish team fails against foreign opposition for no reason other than spite - well, that’s just pathetic in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

Some weaknesses exposed by LAR today in this game that need to be addressed at an Ireland level. As a Munster fan that's what concerns me most. We're in trouble in the tight 5 heading into a WC year. Granted we're in major trouble in this regard in Munster, especially at hooker and tight head but overall our scrummaging is worrying. That needs shoring up. The jury is still out for me on this Leinster back row too, a back row that is often 1st choice for Ireland. JVdF is top class, by far the best no.7 we have, but I'm not convinced on either Doris or Conan and have never been. Conan more so, have lawyers felt that he has a propensity to go missing in a gritty, niggly game. Its a biased opinion but Gavin Commbes needs game time at no.8 for Ireland. There is no-one like him in the physicality stakes available for selection for Ireland. We have no other tight carrier like that. That was Standers true value to Ireland, the ability to take on sh*tty ball and eke out a few yards. Someone in the back row has to be willing and able to do that. I'd like to see Doris used more at 8, think he could oust Conan there at Leinster and Ireland. My final worry is Sexton, granted he made one poor error today but when he went off Leinster went into their shells. He sets the tempo for the team and keeps the attack on the move, always looking to attack the line. The big worry is that both leinster and Ireland are much lesser teams without him. Like I said, as a Munster fan, today makes me worry about the Irish fortunes at over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Why would you ask me the same question? Outside of Munster v Leinster I don't care if Leinster win or loose.

What is sad, is the need to try and deflect from your own teams shortcomings. You need to stop worrying about Munster and dry the eyes.

We all support shitbox teams now unless you are a LR supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭CptMonkey

I’m very worried about the Irish scrum. A lot of the pack comes from Leinster and they came off second best against a bigger pack. The front row in Munster isn’t up to much either. Could cause issues on tour. Hard to win without a scrum.

We badly need a replacement for sexton too. Both Leinster and Ireland rely on him too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd like to see Coombes come on, but he had to warrant it with his play. Farrell obviously doesn't feel he has yet, and I think Munster players in general are struggling because their handling and attacking skills are deficient currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i was shouting for La Rochelle had no qualms about it, they were the underdogs, on the day they were the better team, scored 3 tries to nil and of course the ROG factor

Très bien 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't have any issues with Doris. He's a fantastic player and was neck and neck with VDF as Leinsters best player for this season. He's world class. Conan hasn't hit the same heights as last season though. He's a fine player, but to me he's not playing with the same accuracy that got him into the Lions test XV.

At the end of the day, I don't think a lack of power was Leinsters undoing. They weren't overwhelmed by La Rochelle. The latter may have had an advantage there, but it wasn't a huge one. The bigger issue was the poor decision making in attack and lack of accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Out of interest, for the people supporting La Rochelle today (or "anyone but leinster")

- will you be supporting Ireland if 13 of the starters are from leinster + Beirne and Conway who are Leinster born and bred?

Or will there be the cliche comments about "a minute silence in brown Thomas" if Ireland lose to NZ this summer?

I understand being happy for ROG and Ryan, but to be getting satisfaction out of Leinster losing is just petty.

Post edited by VayNiice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As always, amazing how many people come out of the woodwork after a loss who you never hear from from one end of the year to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

According to this thread, you are a disgrace if you don't support a team from your own country if they're playing a team from another country.

How many Barca fans were supporting Madrid tonight?

And I find it funny that people are complaining about "munster" fans being happy Leinster lost yet these same people are insulting Munster in the same comment...."Munster are viewed as an easy 5 points"....."when did Munster last win it?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Advertisement