Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is the thing Kenny has not been beaten by teams he was supposed to beat. He has been doing OK. That Davy Fitz fella would bring a buzz though, he might have some different ideas. I wouldn't be calling for Kenny's head though at the same time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's hard to tell really. Did the lads really drop their heads against Kilkenny? The backline played well in that game but ball was just raining down on them. Nothing sticks to our forwards and it's been a massive problem for years.

Sure, let's bring Davy in, he's might light a new fire under them but unless he can magic up a forward line capable of consistently getting scores, scoring goals, and competing for every single ball he'll be at nothing either.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where's all this talk of Davy coming from? Has he been sounded out to take over from Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Well the scoreline tells the story. We were near enough level at half time but beaten by a cricket score at full time. No question the heads dropped. Yes the backs played well when it was a contest but everyone was loose by the end.

I'm not gonna say our forwards are an untapped resource because they're not but i have to believe we can get more out of them. They can all play imo but they lose badly when it comes to S & C. You can be as slick as you like but speed and power make room for the skills of the game. If the man marking you is faster and stronger than you you're going to find it tough. That has to be prioritised, at least the power bit.

We need a man who doesn't subscribe to the shite spoken about us being a physical team. Someone who'll push lads to go places they've not gone before in prep. I obviously don't know what the lads get up to in training but judging on the end product I don't think that man is Kenny.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying here. We do seem to be a bit behind the better teams in the physicality stakes and it's something that needs to be addressed.

As you said yourself, Kenny has tried a few different formations to try get something out of the forward line. Each one has fallen flat though. I don't know where we go from here. Kenny's style with Cuala required a fulcrum up top to play off and brings others into the game. We have nobody like that at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No Donegal 2011 all ireland semi final. Connolly went up and pushed a Donegal player and he hit the ground like a bag of spuds. Connolly sent off. Dublin fans in uproar and Connolly got it over turned and played in the final.

My opinion is Morris and Connolly both did **** all and we shouldn't be defending players diving like premier League players. Recently the Dublin player and in my other example the Donegal player. Don't know either of their names but you know who I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Seems a very low key build up to our match tomorrow seems the other two finals are on people's mind more . Should be a step up and we might get a clearer view where we stand though I do expect to come through .

I reckon Kildare will put it up to the Dubs for about 50 mins and keep in touch on the scoreline before the inevitable and Dublin pull away and win comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I feel this will be as comfortable as the Meath game imo.

All I know is there should be goals for either side in the second Leinster Final. In the first Leinster final 2.30pm there should only be the boot of a ball between both teams as usual.

• Advertisement

Absolutely desperate having the three teams playing on the one day. I'm heading in to PP to watch the camogie but would have liked to watch the football as well. Seems like very poor planning due to the congested nature of this year's format.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m looking forward to it. After being at the league game I’m not as confident as others. I know Dublin have improved but they’ve been playing muck teams to be fair. I know we’ve a few players back but if things start to go pear shaped , then we will see what they are made of. The looked like they had lead in their boots in the league games.

Id prefer a close Dublin win, then a Dublin walkover after 50-60 mins. That said, it’s been a good championship for Dublin to build up confidence and momentum. Will be interesting to see how the goalkeeping situation will pan out.

Dublin will leak goals as we look so exposed at the back. In some ways it feels like we are relying mostly on the old heads/reliables to overcome the deficiencies, particularly on the bench. When you look at Tyrone last year , it really is anybodys championship. Dublin have the first team to beat any on their day to be fair and the likes of Kerry are yet to prove to even themselves that they can take that next step.

I’m more optimistic or hopeful then I was after that league campaign but I wouldn’t be placing my dogs life on them retaining Sam. I think it’s going to be an interesting few weeks of summer.

Also, I’m in cusack stand just reminding others to wear sunscreen and bring a cap. Looks like it’s gonna be a great day for the game but it’s a day of sunburn for anybody who hasn’t protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I feel Dublin will win handy enough today.

They just look a sharper and fitter since the start of the championship.

As bad as we were in the league game v Kildare, I don't think Kildare were much better.

Whereas I think we will win today we are playing a team that looks likely to score a goal or two if we ship a big score even if we win that to me will be a bit ominous. At this stage it seems we will have to win the game with our starting lineup as it appears we have little or nothing to change things off the bench .I always look forward to a game and we should learn something today positive or not .

Just checked and RTE aren't showing the Leinster final. They have the blockbuster MF with the already crowned champs against Limerick. They'll be an exciting game 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Leinster final is on RTE after MF.

Dublin Women on top against Meath, they're due a win against Meath, not a great match only six scores in the first half.

Spoke too soon, Meath back in it!

Good win for the Dublin Women, strong finish by them!

Christ Kildare were woeful in that first half! Some great play by Dublin. I thought Dublin would win but didn't see this coming.

• Advertisement

That's poor by Dublin conceding that goal, a bit like the Meath match, excellent 1st half and then sloppy second half, I know it's hard to maintain momentum when you're so far ahead but it would be nice to see Dublin put in a 70-minute performance.

We’re just a completely different side with Con in it. We’re not a one man team as such but the difference it makes is unreal. Even the likes of Costello is a different animal bouncing off Con compared to leading the line himself.

Kildare are poor etc but only a few months ago they were a far better team than us in newbridge. We’re not number one by any means but we’re nowhere near the Spring league side either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ye cant be too far off number 1 if ye arent at the moment.

Most impressive team in the championship so far.

Having said that the Dubs in theory faced a bigger threat in Leinster than Kerry faced in Munster so we probably havent seen Kerry at full tilt yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yawn... how many Leinster Champs is that? Does anyone care anymore?

The sooner the GAA get rid of this lopsided championship the better. All it needs is simplicity: open draw, straight knockout, games decided on the day.

Then you'd drum up a bit of interest.

Agree 100% on Con made massive difference in both scores, pace, directness, and bringing others into play. Complete GAA player. Not a hope in hell he plays for the hurlers now!

On the game in general Dublin were lucky on second goal. But it was over as a contest then.

I have been very critical of Farrell in a lot of games. But hard to fault him this game. Got it spot on v Kildare.

Certainly did not expect such a first half like that some really well taken goals even if the Kildare defence was terrible . We were sloppy again in the second half but the game was over as a contest so cannot be too picky .Con is indeed vital for us he lifts us up a notch .Hard to say where we really stand we have beaten the same teams as last year a lot easier this time but of course there are teams who will defend a lot better than those in Leinster . A lot more positive going forward than i expected a couple of months ago so hopefully Dessie will make me eat my words also well done to the ladies nice to bag a title and get a win finally over Meath .

Was at the whole Dublin v Meath ladies game was an odd match. Thought Meath were going to be kept scoreless first half. Played a style McGuinness’ Donegal would be proud of. All in one bloc. They only scored one point first half.

Most of the shooting from both sides was poor stuff. Two sin bins for Meath changed game. To be honest I think Meath are one trick pony’s.

But Dublin need to get at least one player capable of shooting from distance. Wall can do it for Meath but the defensive tactics hold her back.

Much better to scrap them (or make them preseason) and expand leagues as main comps. Home and away.

Got to watch the Dubs game after the missus recorded the "wrong" game for me. That was a much improved performance. Con makes a difference in the same way Rock is a complete passenger in the team. He links everything so well in attack. Do we dare believe this year?

• Advertisement

Leinster is still a farce. Dublin haven't been rightly tested yet and until they are I would remain skeptical.

Advertisement