Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's a Div 1 team we just beat out the gate. I was very critical when they hammered us in the league so it's out fair to call out a good result when I see it. Kildare aren't a lower league team that we just beat by double digit scores. They are a good outfit with dangerous forwards and I thought we dealt with them very well all game. Something has changed in this team. Maybe it's Con but I think it's something more than that.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

The league isn't a good barometer for anything.

I wouldn't hang my hat on the league but we were truly awful this year in the league and have turned in some good performances so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I was a little surprised we put the matches to bed so quick this year .Honestly thought both Meath and Kildare would stay in the game better than they did. We were really poor in the league but we have definitely rediscovered something whether that is good enough only time will tell .

In the first half we played a lot cleverer with some extra support for the inside backs. That was missing in the league and against Meath but they've clearly made an adjustment.

Offensively, we were far sharper. Players making runs and the passing was on point. We are a far better team playing at pace than the slow side to side stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's the literal epitome of a game that no matter what we did we would have and a critical bent on it.

It was a very impressive first half.

If you think about that shower down in the south west, they're getting lauded for being the second coming because they beat Limerick disgracefully.

I seem to recall a time where they put 7 on Kildare in Croker and the willies we're put up a good portion of our support and the GAA phoiblí.

Sometimes you have to accept what we had, and that was a decent day out. The Meath game was an abomination. Yesterday seems to be a more realistic demonstration of where we're really at.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wasn't at it for the first time in a long while.

Looked good on TV. Whelo pointed out the three forwards staying in the square or thereabouts creating space for everyone else, and magnified by their runs. This was different to the league, I didn't see any of that then.

An interesting journey lies ahead for the Dubs, whether it results in another Holy Grail remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I got it wrong today.

It was even easier than I thought it would be.

Jesus, the football championship is in some state.

As strange as this will sound as a dubs fan but I was depressed watching that game today.

GAA football is in serious trouble at inter county level.

Is there any fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We need a tree tier championship. Forget about fancy names. Forget about finals in Croke Park. Any championship stands on its own merit. Round robin at the initial phase. Then promotion and relegation between tiers.

As well get over the fixation of pumping money into counties on s per capita basis. Some counties can draw funding on a commercial basis, some cannot.

Why should Dublin at this stage get more funding virtually than the rest of Leinster combined.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Inter County football is fine, it's just Leinster and Munster provincial championships that are not competitive at the moment. The league was decent this year and I'm sure the all Ireland stages of the championship will be great too regardless of who wins

• Advertisement

Glen Ryan must be cringing now thinking back to his celebrations after beating us in the league match .He should have known better and waited till he won a championship match .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Connacht is not great either Galway or Mayo - once in a blue moon an other. League real barometer of a team more often than not. Most likely AI Semi Finalists will be div1. To me it is simple make provincials preseason instead of FBD , O’Byrne etc.

Make leagues main competition home and away simple. Why the GAA does not do it is because of this mythical tradition argument.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It is clear to me that Dublin are now massively dependent on Con O’Callaghan. If he does not play that Dublin team is distinctively average. And Con missed the whole league cannot be a coincidence. Wrap him in cotton wool.

Con without doubt our main man now definitely with him back we are in with a shout .We all know there are bigger tests ahead but all have question marks so all to play for .

I see Joe Brolly back in love with us all's right in the world again .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Make leagues main competition home and away simple. Why the GAA does not do it is because of this mythical tradition argument."

No brainer, isn't it?? And if you want a cup type competition - open draw, straight knockout, games finished on the day. Bring back a bit of unpredictability and romance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bit disappointed with lack of turn out for the very good LGFA game on Saturday; much better match than the mens game afterwards. Good turn out from Meath fans, but feck all Dubs bothered with it. What I thought was especially notable was (we didnt stay for mens game) the amount of parents rocking in at 4.50pm with bringing sons and daughters with them.

LGFA dont help themselves by doing damn all to publicize it. It was hard to find out even what the throw in time was for the LGFA match.

Also, the programme - pages 1 to 48 were on the mens game, pages 49 to 52 were on the womens game.

It's very hard to get fans in for two games it's a long day maybe if you are up in a box or something it's different but standing on the hill or even down in the stand is a long time .Having said that the Ladies team are poorly supported and deserve better. Its also the same with the underage teams have been to a few all Ire and we were seriously outnumbered .

In fairness the promotion is brutal = you would work hard to figure out where and when the next LGFA game is taking place.

Nevermind the LGFA, I was at the camogie on Saturday and there was made 200 hundred at it. Those girls get nowhere near the coverage of the ladies football team. So, it's easy to lay blame at one orgs door but neither are doing anywhere enough to get people in the doors. They should be throwing tickets at local schools to drum up support for games in Parnell.

• Advertisement

Yeah crowd was poor must have been lucky to be 1000 or 2000 at it, and that is probably a overestimate. But CP makes even 30,000 look empty at the best of times. I suppose in fairness there were two big 'foreign sports' competitions on that day which could have affected the attendance.

As regards the publicity it is virtually non existent. I missed a match between Dublin and Meath ladies in Parnell recently didn't even know it was on. Probably would have gone, nice day etc

Was talking to a girl that used to play for the Dubs, told me I had to check the LGFA website. Wouldn't be on main GAA website. She agreed it should be all the one organisation anyway.

I thought it was a poor ladies leinster final anyway, to be honest. 0-5 to 0-1 at half time! Very few shots from distance, and some terrible wides. I don't really hear any criticism of the styles of play/standard of the ladies football at all? Which shows they are not being treated seriously by the media IMO. If it had been a men's game there would have been uproar.

There's no excuse for that though. You've Vinnie's, Ciaran's, Parnell's, Clontarf, Scoil, all within walking distance of PP and that's before you count all the schools in those areas. There's a huge amount of potential young fans there that they could be tapping into. They could very easily organise social media campaigns to target the likes of the above and get a bit of interest going. Hell, they could do it much larger areas than that. But there's an apathy at the heart of these organisations. They should embrace social media and use more viral marketing campaigns on the likes of Snapchat and TikTok. Handing out a load of free tickets once a year for a final is all well and good but falls way short of what they could be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Was there for the ladies match with the kids and it was the more exciting by far. Took a long time to get going but it is more difficult with the shorter kicks in the ladies game to get scores from distance so they need to work the ball in more. Was most notable when a 45 is awarded and they don't make the distance. End of the ladies was very good from the Dubs and they colsed it out well.

Meath fans were very good but Dubs were basically absent. Expensive enough at €35 for a Meath fan to watch an LGFA match but they still turned up in ok numbers.

Certainly there was a lack of promotion but the long gap between the two matches would also put a lot off attending both. I presume they had to leave a gap for extra time but it was no surprise many people with kids were leaving by half time in the mens match - even the dubiln ladies left their seats at half time in the mens and didn't come back.

I'd disagree on the game itself. Yes low scoring. But still some fantastic scores along the way, Vicki Wall got a cracking point in second half. Hannah Tyrrell was outstanding for Dublin, Leah Caffrey did a great job marking Emma Duggan. To some extent people find what they are looking for - if you go in thinking "womens football is brutal" then you will find passages of play that are poor and will reinforce your view - not saying thats happening in your case, but I do think a lot of people rush to judgement on it.

Whats undeniable however, is that it was a close game between two top teams in their field where the lead changed hands twice in the second half and ended up a one score game. The mens game was over after 15 minutes.

Yeah, it should not take much to getting little kids into it When they were going up to to pick up the cup there was a group of small girls screeching with delight waiting for them to lift the cup. One of them said it's your time to shine! They tore down then to get autographs etc.

That is what is all about I thought. Light a spark for the younger generations of girls give them role models. I feel that the LGFA going on about the attendance at the AI ladies final is sort of a false positive. A lot more should be done regularly.

Well it is the second time I saw the Meath ladies live. First AI final was very impressed looked structured, and broke regularly.

The last day though Meath played way too defensive and it cost them. Vicki Wall did hit a few good scores from range but she was one of the few capable. Maybe it is fairer to make the pitch a bit smaller for the ladies games and would see some more long range shooting? Or maybe a 25 yard free instead?

Otherwise teams would just funnell back with bodies for the sake of it, and will have same issues that are plaguing men's football. I thought Dublin hit some awful poor wides at times, from play. It should be made a bit easier with a smaller pitch or something like that. It would encourage attackers more.

What I noticed is the trend in ladies football, pure power wins out over skill. That is why the likes of Tyrell, Wall etc thrive they can bulldoze opponents. I definitely think a few basic tweeks to the ladies game would encourage less powerful girls to try a bit of skill and not be out muscled as much.

That's just a function of the physical nature of the sport though. The more powerful players tend to rise to the top a bit easier than the smaller skillful players. It's systems that need to change in team setups rather than rule changes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Marc gone all Yerra😂

Derry? Bit of recency bias there I think.

Personally I would have the real order as something like. Kerry - Mayo - Dublin - Galway - Monaghan - Derry - Tryone - Kildare- Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

Don't mind Marc. It's just cute Kerry Hooerism. Play down Kerry's chances. It looks like the Dubs v Kerry in the semis and whoever wins that will lift Sam.

Advertisement