Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭footfall789

Hi, I have got a Quote from an Enniskillen based company (Ref sonarpv112244)

16 PANELS 400 WATT 6.4 KW JA SOLAR

5 KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

5 KW SOLIS INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE

PRICE 12900 EUROS

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI.

TOTAL 10500 EUROS.

Just wondering , how I would ask if anybody has used this company before , since i cannot mention any names.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jpsbbtt

Hi everyone,

First, thanks for all the help and info here. Really helpful; especially given the wildly different quotes, supply chain issues, and varying 'advice' provided by sales/marketing... but that's for a different day.

We work from home and have a large, unshaded south facing roof, so around all day, so not sure if a battery will provide any real benefit, given the costs and our energy usage is high mostly during the day. Our total energy consumption for 2021 was 3,800kWh.

Anyway, the best quote I've got is the following;

13 panel array: Peimar panels (Italian) totaling 4.9kWp

Eddie diverter (300ltr cylinder)

Solis S5 inverter

Cost after grant - €5,550

Initially was quoted for 9 panels (€4,330)and 11 panels (€5,050) to match our annual energy consumption, but I was looking at upping it to 13 panels, as it is an additional €1,220 from the 9 panel quote and from what people have said here, max out the number of panels, where possible, and to also compensate for winter/shorter days. There's a big jump in price from 14 panels (assuming bigger inverter, etc.)... so not sure if going any further, given our annual energy use of 3,800kWh, is financially viable. They said that a battery can be added at a future date...

Anyway, what's peoples thoughts, as I'm fried from looking at different quotes/products, etc....

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

are the Enniskillen lads now doing bigger panels, I got quote last month from them for JA 370w, but saw above someone getting 400w, so wondering if they are doing bigger ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Advertisement

I think a lot of it is what's available at the time, like the batteries. Stocks are tight everywhere so what comes in goes straight back out I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

thanks, most of the quotes I saw on this thread were JA Solar 370w, so assumed thats what they were supplying, didn't realise that they could upsize them, and would it be cheaper to get 12 400w panels v's 13 370w, or is it all the same, and space wise is there similar increase in panel size per w from 370w to 400w panel,

The above I will leave to those with more knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Depends on the panels. A good place to go look for yourself is ...

Midsummer Renewables

Like virtually everything electronic these days, supply/stock is an issue. I should note that bigger capacity panels are typically bigger (physically). Often people assume that the 400w panels are more efficient etc.....but in reality it's just that they are bigger. So you might be able to fit in 14 x 370watt panels (5.04Kwp), but you might only be able to fit 12x400 (4.8Kwp) watt panels on the roof. So it's very much a question of what allows you to fit the most square meters on your roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 robertc4022

Got a quote yesterday from enniskillen lads panels were jammed 370

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 robertc4022

Sorry Ja 370

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Hi,

The system I got ;

8.88kw 24 panels

10kw battery

6kw hybrid inverter

Zappi

Cost last year I think was around €280 for approx 60/65 days, but I'll check that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

I saw my Chiropractor yesterday, and I mentioned we were having solar PV fitted. He already has solar on his roof and has done for the last two years. He's been doing the maths; when he had the panels fitted, he was on a 7 year payback, since the price of electricity has increased, he's redone the math, that time has reduced to 4 years.

More than worth it I would say, financially and otherwise.

I'm the same. Okay a lot to do with my age too, but the math suggested batteries are not worth the outlay if you are going to be using the majority of the power from your array. The feed in tariffs are likely to be more than 10c, so you will be using the grid like a battery. In the times before the FIT existed it was an easy decision to go for the battery, but with CEG, it will take significantly longer to claw back the cost of the battery and related paraphernalia. However, if you work from home and you are in a position where ESB cannot keep the power on (!) having the battery as a backup supply on a changeover switch would make sense, but that's a different story. I read somewhere there is an inverter with a output that is live when the power goes out, but as it was of no interest to me, I didn't research it further, but you might like to.

Was it Gorey family chiropractor by any chance. Because I told my chiropractor about my setup and he got it of the company I used.

Batteries: Unfortunately, and most people who have solar for sometime will agree with me, it doesn't work like that. We'll know shortly, but I suspect a FIT of 5C or there abouts. Don't get me wrong, I'd -LOVE- a FIT of 10C or above, but that's really unlikely. Then your capped to €200 a year apparently, or you will be taxed (?!) on anything over that, so your "effective" FIT rate will be lower as a result.

The main issue with not having a battery is that you can't fully utilize the power your generating. Let's say your "base load" is 500w for the house, and your solar is knocking out 1250 watts (some day in March for example). Well you have a surplus, that's good. Your exporting 750w and getting (say) 5C for that. Now you turn on the washing machine (2kw). So it will take that 750w surplus from your solar, and the other 1.25Kw will be taken from the grid (~30Cents) Had you a battery.....after 2-3 hrs of that surplus going into your battery, you'd have enough energy stored to not to import anything. Effectively using your solar panels more efficiently.

Same is true for clouds. You might have an abundance of solar generation capacity, but broken clouds means you can't get a block of time to turn on dishwashers/timble dryers/heavy loads. Sure, it's perfect as you suggest for base load, but a battery (even a small 2.5kwhr one) would smooth the curves for you.

Note: Probably not the thread for this discussion, but as an end user unable to move it to "PV tips and troubleshooting"

But for us, the first part is still relevant. Our age! All three suppliers agreed that if we went for a battery, we'd likely be dead before we got payback.

But I am also afraid I disagree with the remainder. If we have a FIT of 13.5c from Pinergy and 13.5c for commercial the chances of everyone else going for 5c is unlikely, more likely they will tally their FIT to suit their existing tariffs, so 10c isn't far off the mark. The trouble is we don't know and won' know for a while yet.

But what is a fact is that with any FIT, the payback time on a battery system and the necessary more expensive inverter will be greater. Therefore at my age, going for a battery would likely mean I would be better off keeping my money under the mattress to pay the higher electricity bills.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Hi folks,

Any thoughts on this??

Assuming, at that price, the inverter isn't battery ready (doesn't mention that it is hybrid), but open to correction. Can't finding anything on it about being battery ready. Would like to have the option of a battery in the future, depending on how much is being returned to the grid...

Comments, good or bad, much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Decent price indeed

Can easily add a separate Storage Inverter like the Sofar ME3000 at a later date, and it can be in a totally separate location too. Could even be a nice DIY project

Brilliant. Thanks for the prompt reply; much appreciated.

Definitely will look at a battery but want to see if it's economically viable first, based on usage over a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Only absolutely viable if you DIY with 10kW of AiExpress cells for €1,200 - see separate threads 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭footfall789

HI,

I currently have a Day/Night Meter and don't have a Smart Meter .

I want the option to export electricity to the GRID when I install SV Panels.

Unfortunately there is a waiting list of 4 years to get Smart Meters installed in my area .

I have heard that one can export electricity to the GRID and the ESB( Good old Days) would pay a pre-determined rate for the electricity no matter how much you exported to the GRID depending , i think, on how many panels you have installed.

Would anybody know what this is called and how one would get this setup until i get a smart meter installed ?

Thanks .

It is based on the size of the inverter you get paid an estimated amount.

For sure - I'm not here to win arguments, only give what I think is an decent opinion to help people. They are more than welcome to take that opinion (or not) as the case maybe. What I will say though is that I spent a fair bit of time last year modelling the payback timelines of different sized batteries/cost/capacity etc. so it's reasonably informed/thought out.

Most of analysis i did was in about the 10 years mark. A few in the 11-12 year range based on current rates. Higher rates will (of course) shorten the pay back timeline. My own user case is currently rocking in at 7.3 years. Don't forget now that in winter your battery also allows you to charge at "off peak" rate and then use that during the day when the charges are higher. I've made €200+ on that alone this year. Especially useful in the winter months where you generate feck all from solar - so it's not simply a FIT thing in isolation that you have to compute.

Again, it's your dime - I've no skin in the game here, but I think you may regret it in 12 months when you see the actual reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Is it possible to get a bigger hybrid inverter than 6KW? Does the size on the inverter limit the efficiency of your panels?

i.e., 6KM panels & 6 KW inverter = 6KW of power production?

10KW panels & 6KW inverter = 10kw of power production???

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Is it possible to get a bigger hybrid inverter than 6KW? Does the size on the inverter limit the efficiency of your panels?

i.e., 6KM panels & 6 KW inverter = 6KW of power production?

10KW panels & 6KW inverter = 10kw of power production???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes, they are planning on calcuating an export figure for anyone not on a smart meter. Don't have it to hand right now. It is to be automatic based on the form the electrician sends into the esb when installing the inverter. And it's based on the size of the inverter.

But the minimum companies have to pay is 0. Only one have come out and said they are paying 13.5 but their unit rates are sky high.

The general trend here is just don't worry about export and try and maximize self use.

The day/night tariffs are still currently better than any smart meter tariffs. Robbing peter to pay Paul sort of thing. Trade good rates for bad rates just to have a good export figure.

• Advertisement

Yes and no Matt. You can get bigger inverters but they tend to be 3 phase which most of us don't have . To be honest, 6Kw inverters rarely "clip" the production. What happens is as the sun moves around the sky as the day progresses, the sun it's beating down DIRECTLY on the panels, so it will be hitting it at a slant.

If you take directly due south facing , the sun will only be hitting the panels dead on for about 1 hr either side of solar noon. For all the other times its not giving you max. For those of use with the panels split over two roofs like me (east and west) in the morning the east ones produce but the west give very little and then vice versa when the west ones are producing the east ones are generating very little.

It's fairly common to have 1.3x times the panels of the inverter for this reason. So you might have 8Kwp in panels, but since they might only be generating at 60% you only are outputting ~5kw of power which your 6kw inverter can handle easily. Have a watch.

(286) Oversizing solar inverters - is it a good idea? - YouTube

Aside: A lot of the topics here haven't really been about quotes. While I'm ok to answer them, really people should post them in the "solar for dummies" thread or the "pv tips and troubleshooting" thread. Keep this thread clean as much as possible for people who have questions about quotes directly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement