Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

Quadruple they said, lolllllll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Between this and United's run in '99 for me. United had Barca and Bayern in the group, then Inter, Juve and Bayern again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I still don't get the Roy of the rovers type talk with Madrid winning.

Madrid have won the trophy twice as many times as the nearest rivals.

Their manager is one of the world's best.

One of their players has 5 CL medals. To put that into perspective man United have 3 CL medals since 1968.

Madrid were hardly minnows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

For anyone just in.

If Liverpool win cup finals despite being outplayed, how must Real Madrid feel? They've just won a cup final despite being outplayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

3 Cup Finals and no goal scored. Not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I presume they feel like winners, took on the top three in the Premiership and beat them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

If the person is dressed in "real" colours I guess.

Another nice thing about Madrid winning is that it upsets the dogma nowadays that football must be about pressing. That's not Madrid's game and they're way down in La Liga when you look at the pressing stats, yet they've romped home to La Liga, and won a Champions League with one of the hardest runs imaginable. Goes to show there is no set way to win in this sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done Madrid.

Serial winners. 8 finals in a row they have won, yet they were being written off before the game by the English media, apparently it would be a walk in the park for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Well 2 of those finals were won so not too shabby, suppose if your over the fence looking in it might seem like it's not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Utter toss, him and Rio. The amount of times the host just says something the lines of "right" after Owen speaks is hilarious. And of course Rio and his ego, amount of times he mentioned him being in a final before as well.

I don't understand how they continue to have them as main hosts, so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

How many goals did Arsenal score in cup finals this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Not sure I'd agree with this. They've won a really terrible la liga with Barca and Athletico undergoing a complete rebuild. They've ground their way through the season without ever looking in control.

If you want sustained success then the way Liverpool and City play is way more productive. Madrid were blessed in all honesty in this competition. Champs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Not a Liverpool supporter, but was it not strange there was no VAR check for the goal? Vinicius looked slightly offside in replays.

Diaz was poor, jota gave a bit more when he was on the pitch. Dont think Real played great football but they were smart to keep the ball at times and kill the game. Not a great final for the neutrals. Couple of months to go now without many matches :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Gerrard was as bad, trying to defend Owen’s embarrassing comments post match that Liverpool were still the best team in Europe. Before the game he dismissed Real Madrid saying Liverpool were on “another level”. He wasn’t for backing down though even in the face of the reality of how stupid his comments were. Never hold your hands up or admit when you get it wrong even when it’s proven you were completely wrong appears to be Owen’s angle. Seems to be the way of things these days. Embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No he was just on. It was a very well worked goal for Real with a very well timed run.

Diaz was good as well but Carvajal was excellent and probably Reals best player after Courtois.

Why that question. What's that got to do with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

It's more the manner of how they got through those ties. The semi final for example, two late goals after the Grealish chance to put it to bed. PSG, Chelsea will also feel they should have knocked them out. So while it's not the underdog Roy of the Rovers type of fairytale it still had the drama along the way and I think that's what people have enjoyed about it

Too many pool fans got carried away about how easy it would be tonight.

They showed zero respect for a team that are serial winners. They are a different beast in cl finals. But no, they were going to take a beating, and that was that.

Any football fan who watched pool this last month would have known it was going to be a tight game.

I work with three other Liverpool fans, two United fans and a Chelsea fan and every single one of us were saying during the week that Madrid had a great chance, especially given they had the league wrapped up two weeks ago and Liverpool were fighting until the last day and had picked up a few injuries in the last few weeks which meant players wouldn't be 100% and Madrid would be fresher.

Liverpool played well tonight, created plenty of chances but came up against a very experienced Real side and Courtois in top form and just missed out. They took their chance and that's what mattered.

Congratulations to Real.

• Advertisement

Fair point it's true that most successful sides in the top leagues press, but the stats boffins were convinced that the pressing model was practically the only way to win. Madrid have got the better of most of those sides in the top right of the graph below. That all can't be down to luck.

It's also a rare example of how a traditional number 9 like Benzema can still do a job. The way the game is going his position may come to be seen as a bit of a dying breed as a lot of the top sides are now going for pacy wide forwards, most of whom have to be able to play through the middle. Liverpool's approach has generally done well but it's also the case they've failed to score in 3 finals. Is the orthodox number 9 still a valuable commodity in the modern game? City adapting to Haaland up top will be interesting.

Personally, I hope the game doesn't evolve to the stage where the traditional centre-forwards get phased out in favour of pace and pressing ability. That being said, there aren't many Benzema-level forwards left and there aren't exactly a glut of new ones emerging. This season may go down as one of the great last hurrahs of the number 9. Another reason I hope Benzema gets the Ballon d'Or. I can't see him missing out on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I think it's fair to say Klopp has bottled this. 1 European Cup win in 4 finals is not impressive. 1 league win in England isn't much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Real do it again. They're unreal how they eek out the results. Courtois clearly the match winner, amazing performance

Not much to complain about except the Paris police! Holy **** talk about heavy handed

Tonight was a disgrace policing wise and I'm hoping Paris won't get a final again for a while. Great city but tonight was a massive shame on their ability to handle an event of this magnitude

Benzema may not have pressed much tonight but he did close off plenty of the usual Liverpool passing lanes and made them play wider quicker where Valverde and Vinicus Jnr were able to squeeze the space.

Klopp is such a bad loser

"We could have played better football but Madrid could have played better football and didn't. They played how they had to. Apart from the goal, they didn't have a shot on target. That's a good sign for my team. They scored with one, we didn't with nine"

I am assuming he knows there are different ways to play football and to win a game and disregarding a style that he doesnt like is just childish.

That doesn't read as being a bad loser. Just that Real did what they needed to do to win and both teams could have played better.

Both teams did have periods of poor passing and wasted opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Park he bitterness for a second , It’s Scraping the barrel and totally off the wall to say Liverpool fans showed zero respect to Madrid .

Have a read off the Liverpool forums and clearly see there was a a lot or concern of fatigue/injuries and how the high line would be exploited by Madrids pace. No one expected an easy game after the constant grind of last few months.

How utterly distorted a view of the build up to game. Try watching a game than just reading Facebook comments man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thibaut Courtois the hero keeper

He was incredible. This should be talked about for a long time.

Off the top of your head how many outstanding goalkeeper performances in the CL final can you recall?

That's gotta be up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I agree ..best keeper in Europe at the moment by a mile... outstanding performance

He's the nearly man.

Perhaps he needs to start looking at himself, rather than blaming the opposition.

I am surrounded by Liverpool fans both at work and among my friends. Most thought it was a foregone conclusion.

I don't read Facebook or Liverpool forums.

Even bt sports showed next to no respect to Madrid before the game tonight.

And I'm not bitter, I'm over the moon! Great result

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

So afew “friends” are the reason your think that all Liverpool fans showed zero respect Madrid haha.

I’ve just read some of your other comments and I can already see the pain Liverpool winning the double already has caused so not sure how you have coped if Liverpool won tonight. Strangely comments like yours show me just how envious other teams are of the season we’ve had .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

"Winning the double"

Thats one way of describing failing the quadruple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maguire might as well be fcukin' playing for Liverpool, useless git

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

A great team without doubt but thats 3 finals without scoring a goal and the lethal 2 in Mane and Sarah ageing and looking and new contracts/ideas.

Kloop is top notch but how do you replace those 2. The midfield looks a doing over as well.

TAA and Robertson were unheard of in the match

Konante looked immense at times, lad is only 23.

Courtois had a blinder of a game after loosing some form when leaving Chelsea, some serious instinct gk reflexes for some of the close saves. This lad is 6ft 5, and he looked every bit of it in controlling his nets and perfect age for a keeper to be coming into that sort of prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My guess would be the same amount as Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Klopp losing 4 out of 5 European finals is a bit of a black mark. His only win is against a poor spurs team. What he has done domestically cannot be questioned but on the biggest stage his teams have choked.

Hahahahahaha

The cringiest thing I have ever seen, even before the game.

What is I they like to say....'rent free' etc.jesus christ absolutely pathetic, going to a European final and making banners (really badly) referencing the team you don't care about, rofl

here's a good breakdown as to how and why the issues started outside the ground. And that's before you get to the heavy handedness at the fanzone.

Crazy policing. And lots of intimidation from locals before and after the game.

Let's hope Paris doesn't get to host a game like this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Of course he can be questioned domestically. He usually throws the domestic cups, would have done this year too only for they landed so perfect for him he couldn’t help it. Everything went their way for their cups. After that one league title in his time for whats perceived to be one of their greatest ever teams containing players we are told who are all the best in the world in their positions.

For me, despite the losses in final klopp and liverpool are a much better champions league team than domestic team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Michael Owen “I still think Liverpool are the team to beat.”

Real Madrid just beat them Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ancelotti is some manager. Have to say I didn’t think he was getting back to the top after his previous seasons but fair play to him. No better man to prove me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Not one sane fan I know thought it was a foregone conclusion.

I also thought BT's dismissal of Madrid was mental. They've hung in every game and taken their chances. There was nothing to suggest they couldn't do the same to Liverpool, especially with the 2 or 3 weeks prep.

Yes, they relied on Courtois for a worldie performance. But keepers are as entitled to big performances as much as elite attackers or defenders.

It's a great result for rivals. Of course it is. Nobody outside of Liverpool fans wanted their season to be almost perfect. Why would they? The media enjoyed the original quadruple story, so maybe they wanted it, but no other football fan really enjoyed it. I get that.

This Liverpool team is brilliant. And it's unfortunate that in the league they're fighting a relentless machine. But I get that multiple big trophies are the currency of a transcendently great team. So while the notion some rivals online have taken to say the team isn't great, or that Klopp is overrated, are complete nonsense or trolling, I do think that the team is a couple of CLs and/or PLs short of being allowed in the conversations with the likes of the 90s Utd teams, Arsenal 98, Arsenal 04, Chelsea 05, Utd 08/09 and Pep's City.

And by the way, there's no shame in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In amongst all the banter against Liverpool, this shouldn't be lost.

A phenom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I liked how he calmly shot down all of Didi's doom and gloom about how Liverpool will struggle to rebuild.

Losing to Sevilla was the only one where they should have been big favourites and lost. Spurs they were favourites and won, yesterday they were barely favourites and lost.

The other 2 his sides were definitely not favourites so i'de have him about 50/50 on finals and certainly not a choker with a "black mark".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Owen is a horrific pundit. Didn't he say last night that Liverpool were the best team in Europe? Yes, they're a very good team. Klopp has worked wonders with them since going there. But that's guff from Owen. He was a great player, but he's stealing a living these days

The entire hiring process in the UK channels seems to be just tap up the best player from United, Liverpool etc. Doesn't matter if the guy is spouting rubbish as long as he is the most recognizable player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only ones talking about a quadruple were the English media

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement