Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

Why don't you stand over your claim as this is where it began. Pre covid there was half a million on waiting list this is now closer to three quarters of a million, let alone the spike in actual wait times and the pre-waiting-list list

• Registered Users Posts: 15,150 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Tegnell said that when they were chasing herd immunity, not when they were vaccinating as far as I recall.

Actually we can say for the Nordic countries that for the two waves in 2020 when Sweden was chasing herd immunity the waves peaked at the same time. Eurostat`s monthly figures show that with the percentages of excess deaths for each country for those months, and that shows clearly for anyone that wishes to see, that compared to the other three countries that used lockdown, Sweden`s excess deaths were multiples of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not for me to stand over any claim as it was you who made it originally that countless women WILL DIE because of the lack of screening services and paranoia etc, and later that the country was " fqcked " because your oh who works in oncology told you. However when asked for facts to back up these claims you tell me when I disagree with your unvouched " refuting " that I should " stand over my claim" that your claims were with no foundation as stopping screening is not the same as stopping treatment !

Strange debating skills there ..

Of course waiting lists have climbed. They have everywhere . The number currently is not 750, 000 as you say but in fact north of that at nearly 900, 000.

But waiting lists are for everything else. Cancer treatment and surgery is always considered urgent care and goes to the top of any list , which would be known by any healthcare professional .

Anyway this conversation is only relevant in this thread as it relates to Sweden so if you have an issue with impending masses of cancer deaths here maybe do a bit of recce yourself to see how Sweden is faring soo much better in that regard , ( having knocked off such a high proportion of their elderly and vulnerable during Covid they probably will fare better for a few years alright ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Sweden compared to other countries according to WHO. Looks like they got things about right. Better than most of the EU and they didn't overdo it like China or Australia who actually had negative excess deaths.

Interesting also to see that India which had, at one point, the worlds strictest lockdown, did worse than Brazil who were roundly criticized for not being strict enough. Nobody is criticizing India even though their policies resulted in more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not in 2020 they didn't. Show us the graph for 2020 with more than 1 Scandinavian country included.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

They were about mid-table by the end of 2020. But remember that the pandemic was still ongoing into 2021 with Zero-covid countries like Australia imposing lockdowns. China, where the virus originated, is still imposing lockdowns.

They stuck out like a sore thumb in 2020 excess mortality when compared with the nearest neighbours. If I wanted to assess Sweden's performance I'd first compare it to similar countries and would give that comparison far more weight than say countries with much higher population densities \ large cities \ travel links.

I don't think Sweden's strategy scales well, as we can see from what happened in the UK - or Australia's for that matter. But Australia also had far less covid deaths than Sweden per capita.

Critics of Sweden need to be highly selective about timescales in order to show Sweden in a bad light and even then Sweden appears as mid-range by EU standards. On broader timescales, which allows for problems caused by restrictions themselves on the negative side, and the development of natural immunity on the positive side, to be taken into consideration, Sweden comes out near the bottom of the EU for excess deaths.

Sweden is fifth from the bottom on this chart.

• Advertisement

I don't think picking an entire year in a pandemic is being "highly selective", especially when most of the criticism of Sweden is concentrated on their actions in 2020 and the consequences of the herd immunity strategy. They show Sweden in a bad light, and no graph presented here has exonerated them.

It is more valid to compare Sweden with similar countries, than entire EU comparison. This is a basic point, and again nothing has been presented on this thread that makes me doubt that.

Also you neglected in your "broader timescales" you to mention vaccination campaign rollout in Sweden. I wonder why?

"highly selective" yourself.

In fairness, being fifth from the bottom in the EU does indeed show them in a good light. If the critics of Sweden had been correct that Sweden's policie of keeping things open would lead to untold deaths then they would be much higher excess deaths to date. But that is not the case. They are nowhere near average let alone the top of the table.

Strawman is strong here with "untold deaths". If you'd bothered to read the thread you will see most of the criticism was of the herd immunity approach, which went far beyond "keeping things open". Sweden's 2020 policy is not the same as Sweden's 2021 policy, when for example, some schools did shut.

If it's just about "keeping things open", well things were open but the population changed behaviour. Economic activity / spending dropped by as much as countries which did lockdown. They took a gamble in my opinion and that the consequences were not worst was down to their national advantages such as density, high hospital capacity and geographic position and the voluntary changes in behaviour by the population and businesses WFH.

We can see the approach doesn't transfer well from happened when the UK tried to keep things open.

As in your obvious avoidance \ reluctance to engage with any of the points made about Sweden's comparison with its near neighbours.

And mention of vaccinations. Do we have an anti-vaxxer?

Nothing you have shown here presents their 2020 actions - which they changed tack on as documented on this thread - in good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,150 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You are just going back to the "why Sweden should not be compared to it`s neighbours" arguement.

The Economist report showed that regionally for Europe Covid was more severe in terms of deaths traveling east to west and noted that for their region when it came to Covid deaths Sweden were the exception.

Nothing you have shown here presents their 2020 actions - which they changed tack on as documented on this thread - in good light.

I would still maintain that being among the lowest in the EU to date for excess dates puts them in a good light overall.

On that chart !

If you look at Europe as a whole including Norway and UK you get a much clearer picture . They are average overall and it is largely down to changing tack in late 2020 and their good neighbours who kept numbers down in that part of Europe .

They were doing very badly on all Europe charts in 2020 ...

I will go further than that. Here's a chart of the whole of the OECD and not merely for 2020 but also including all of 2021 too and so a better indication of the impact of Covid on excess deaths. This includes a lot of European countries including the UK and Norway. But even when we widen the net in this way, Sweden is still in the bottom eight out of thirty eight for excess deaths, and less than half the OECD average. It is true that some countries have done better but Sweden has nonetheless done very well overall.

Post edited by Bit cynical on

Yes ...they pulled up their overall numbers by imposing restrictions in 2021 ! That's what we have been saying...

I notice you still haven't shown how they did just for 2020 when they had higher excess deaths ?

And that graph leaves out so many countries, including Ireland . They are not even among the best in that edited version there , not a complete picture at all of the full list of OECD so you cannot extrapolate that Sweden " is eight from the bottom if all are not included ..and they are still after two years ranked close to average , not " better than average " .

Ireland is better than average! Where are we listed there ?

What is needed is a complete world or OECD graph for 2020 then compare with 2021 ?

Think I have one somewhere .....I will try to post it .

I notice you still haven't shown how they did just for 2020 when they had higher excess deaths ?

The figures do include 2020 as well as 2021.

This is still incomplete as they are going on data supplied in 2020 but would give you an idea if what we have been saying about Sweden when they didn't impose restrictions and how badly they were doing.

See how they are near the top of chart there ?

But yes , by imposing restrictions when it was clear how badly they were doing they rowed it back in 2021 greatly which improved their average no end , as you showed in your previous graph . Restrictions and then vaccinations .

• Advertisement

Point being an average for the 2 years, both showing two different styles ...first year no mitigation except personal choice , second tear mitigation imposed and vaccination . Again, you know what I am saying ...or you are being very deliberately obtuse .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The very fact that people need to be squeezing numbers and graphs this way or that way or have a debate on who compare Sweden to or not to just to 'prove' that Sweden's way was some sort of reckless suicidal lunacy says it all. These people are missing the point spectacularly. They will not prove a point by finding a percentage point or two here or there which they can't find even. They have to find orders of magnitude or at least factors. But of course thats not there to be found. They might as well be looking for corona on the moon. But they can't let go.

Its the very people who not only fell hook line and sinker for the corona madness but were their most aggressive advocates. Now they are clutching at straws to discredit the country that is living proof that all of this was pointless idiocy and that they've been had. Of course they are. There is even a recognised condition/term for this behaviour.

There is this somewhat famous example of When Prophecy Fails. Basically some UFO believers cult prophecy about apocalypse brought on by aliens and they campaigned and 'informed' and prayed and whatnot. Then the UFOs didnt come and the apocalypse never happened. But they were so invested in their belief they couldn't conclude that they were wrong. So they concluded that their prayers turned the UFOs away and prevented the apocalypse.

Cognitive dissonance its called.

No not an average. A total. The total excess deaths per capita over the two years of the pandemic put Sweden in the bottom eight of OECD countries.

There is this somewhat famous example of When Prophecy Fails. Basically some UFO believers cult prophecy about apocalypse brought on by aliens and they campaigned and 'informed' and prayed and whatnot. Then the UFOs didntt come and the apocalypse never happened. But they were so invested in their belief they couldn't conclude that they were wrong. So they concluded that their prayers turned the UFOs away and prevented the apocalypse.

Very true. There's a psychological phenomenon too where people, when evidence starts coming in that they are wrong, strengthen their false belief rather than abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You’ve said a few times now that Sweden imposed restrictions which greatly reduced their numbers. Would you by any chance have a list of those restrictions? It must be comparable to ourselves and others if what you say is true.

Nope, the restrictions in Sweden were never anything like that here in 'lockdown Ireland'. To say they were is an insult to intelligence.

You'll go round in circles with certain posters here, forever. They only look at data they like (i.e. only first few months of pandemic, and ignore the whole) and anything else is ignored or called a "God knows where" source- the Lancet for example or The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance.

Good luck, you'll need patience.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

So they did this, without a lockdown? End thread?

Good post Calamari . It quite neatly applies to both sides of the argument , as written, I presume intentional on your part ( or else it's not so clever !)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's flat earth theory. If something doesn't effect them, it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

@Bit cynical what Charlie said is true . The Economist did find that Sweden was the worst in the Western EU that many Eastern Europe countries did poorly despite lockdown also .

Why you don't ever discuss the reasons why ?

Sweden is an outlier among countries in Western Europe , especially its neighbours and Ireland , and along with the UK which has a higher excess death rate even .

Ireland did very well by any league table but you guys refuse to admit that .

Yet you and others accuse me and others of being selective asking for data per year .

Sweden did better in 2021 that it pulled back from a final tally that would have put UK in the shade . Why ?

I am not going to produce any more data for people who refuse to read and crucially , understand it .

Enough has been produced over the course of the last month never mind the thread that proves that you and your fellow posters are like a gaggle of ostriches .

Even Tegnell himself now admits more should have been done in 2020 to prevent spread and deaths .

Advertisement