Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has anyone here ever had to be “rescued” by the AA or someone similar due to the battery being fully discharged ?

Do they just call a flatbed recovery truck and take you to the nearest charger (happened to someone I know) or have they any charging facility when they come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Never happened to me in over 5 years of EV driving, although I have cut it fine a few times. If it happens, just ring the assist number from your insurance company, they'll come out and tow you to wherever you want, a garage, your home or a fast charger. For free. Exact same as with an ICE car. If you own a Tesla, ring the Tesla support number. Same deal, but they answer straight away, have a very good customer service and go the extra mile to get you sorted.

BTW I have run out of fuel twice in my life (in nearly 40 years of driving), once my own stupidity, once a vacuum problem in the fuel tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly try avoid running out by filling back up long before you need to. I bring a public charging cable, a granny cable and a 15 metre waterproof extension lead everywhere I go. I tend to stop every 100km to try refill even though my range is 150km+. Main issue is broken chargers, blocked or busy chargers, very common at peak times. I tend to check on app to see if busy in way there and divert if in use. I tend not to queue.

The breakdown support you get varies depending on contract. Many newer cars come with free breakdown, e.g. Hyundai gets free AA basic.

Your car insurance may have breakdown included, but it may be limited to x km or to get you to nearest slow charger but not all the way home. Typically the tow vehicle to nearest charger, but if this is an AC charger you may have a couple if hours charging before you can make a DC charger for typically 7 times faster fill.

It's relatively hard to run out in an EV. Mine starts to warn at 13% and goes nuts around 4%, so typically you will at least make it to a household socket somewhere.

You should aim to never go below 20% on trips to allow for margin of error but I have gone down. To 1% when I knew I would make it home.

Is running out of fuel counts as a breakdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

IMO car won't move == breakdown

Certainly if I ran out of charge I'd probably be telling people I broke down to save myself the embarrassment 😏

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You should aim to never go below 20% on trips to allow for margin of error but I have gone down. To 1% when I knew I would make it home.

20% of an I4 is more battery than my e-Up! had at 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The MiL ran out of battery a couple of months ago. Turned out it was the 12V battery. Recovery driver replaced with new one and off she went.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

The aa have at least one van that can charge an EV, I assume at a pretty measly rate. I'm not sure if it charges and tows at the same time or if it just waits there while giving you what you need to get to the nearest charger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I think it is a DC mobile unit. They don't quote the max power but 15% of battery charge in just 20 minutes

https://www.theaa.ie/blog/aas-electric-vehicle-mobile-charging-unit-first-europe/

• Advertisement

@innrain - yes you must be right. Let's say a 50kWh battery, 15% = 6.5kWh. To charge that in 20 minutes needs a 20kW charger, so this almost certainly is one of those compact mobile 22kW DC charging stations that can do both CCS and CHAdeMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Got a battery warning today in the ID.4 with 20% left and 100km showing on the GOM

On the Leaf the GOM didn't stay over 100km for long 😏

When I got the warning there were 2 50kW units a short detour from our route and 2 more plus a HPC within 20km, plus several AC chargers

Running out of charge in a modern EV with home charging would take some effort, despite our measly public charging network

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Damien Maguire of Bmw with Tesla motor conversion worked in this company in county Wicklow and this box claims 5kW charging rate, designed by him I believe.

About EV Rescue

It is powered by lithium ion battery technology so that the EVCharge 4kWcan provide up to 20km of range in half an hour if a car runs out of power. It has the ability to provide Level 2 AC charging with 240V of energy, topping up any vehicle with enough power to get to the nearest charging point.

https://jtmpower.ie/blogs/news/test

In practical terms unless they wait with you it's probably easier to tow to nearest charge point. Even at 20kW they still need to wait with you.

https://evbmw.com/

@zg3409 - what makes you think the AA uses the box you mention? Clearly they couldn't claim to charge an EV to 15% in 20 minutes with a 5kW AC charger. I'd say it's almost certain they have a mobile DC 22kW charger.

BTW I just missed out on Damien Maguire's "Red Arrow" BMW 318tds EV conversion a few weeks ago, would have loved to buy that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What are people's thoughts on the future of ev charging and charging costs.

With smart metering going forward, are we just going to end up paying stupid money for any electricity sent into car? The government are surely going to bring costs back to somewhere near what it's costs to run a diesel.

Are we in the golden age of ev ownership before they have even got going?

The way I see it, soon we will either be charged a transport rate for our units of electricity fed to car or will be required to declare mileage and pay tax based on that.

An ev with limited tech run from off grid solar pv could be the motoring hack in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

With the cost of living increasing at the rate it is I can't see any government getting on board with that.

Also how would the smart meter know your charging a car or running a grow house?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well there is talk of a higher kWh rate for domestic ev charging so I reckon they must have figured out how to differentiate.

Plus if you are running a grow house and drawing similar levels of power to an ev charging' I'm sure the electricity supplier would be happy to charge the EV rate for the units.

@mickdw - the government can never know how much of the electricity you use at home is used for your car. And owning an electric car coupled with a tiny sense of doing what is right and saving a bit of money would have you install some solar PV on your home. Both my cars are now mostly charged for most of the year from my solar panels. For free. With zero emissions. And zero taxes.

Of course it is likely that we will end up with tax based on mileage done. But that is a long time away.

And to give you an idea - I live in a small semi-D house in Lucan. An average house in Ireland uses about 3000kWh per year in electricity and 3000kWh per year for hot water. I produce 10000kWh per year in electricity (solar PV) and 3000kWh per year in hot water (solar thermal). If we had a net metering system like in most more advanced countries, my bills would be zero (including running both my cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

In the interim, if the Govt chose to do so, there is no reason why a higher vrt rate/motor tax rate couldnt be applied to EVs. The zero/lower rates were introduced to boost EV demand. These policy measures have a tax implication as taxes have to be raised elsewhere to offset these tax subsidies. This is now a redundant policy as demand massively exceeds supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Duwek

Can anyone who owns an Id 4 tell me how you feel about it? I'm considering purchasing. Looking into getting solar panels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

WTF is this shite. Dealer selling an Nissan Note ePower as a Nissan Leaf claiming "easy EV no plug-in"

https://www.carsireland.ie/3094810

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Hi @unkel, I’m looking to get an EV and living in a semi D with 3 solar PV panels. I have no idea what they generate but didn’t think it would be that much. Interested in charging as much from solar as possible - would love to hear more about your solar set up and how you get the most out of solar for charging?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Driving EV’s since 2012 and I’ve never once ran out of battery while out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How will they know?

You could reduce the charge rate to 3kW and for all the government knows you could be boiling the kettle or have your immersion on!

But I do agree, the lost revenue from motor tax and fuel duty will have to be captured from somewhere

What I've heard is that we'll end up with billing for peak power (kW) alongside the usage (kWh). If your average power (kW) over the period exceeds a certain amount then you'll pay more. The end result is that those with EVs or high consumption devices may end up turning down the charging rate or charging from solar etc to avoid going over. Not sure how this would play out if you have a heatpump in the house also.

From what I understand, peak power charges are already a thing on commercial electricity supplies so it's not something entirely new.

Change road tax per km driven. You need to submit your odo reading every year and then this is checked when NCT is due. Dealers are also required to submit a reading on all cars they take in.

If you under declare your milage you then get charged the balance plus a penalty when the correct reading is submitted even if you've sold the car.

Apparently they can already tell based on the load - obviously only on smart meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Several states in Australia have already or are planning to introduce electric vehicle road user charges. Rate is AUD 2.5c per km.

Rest assured the Govt wont be left wanting as revenue from fuel taxes starts to decline significantly.

• Advertisement

It shouldn't just be for EVs but all vehicles. If you have a taxi licence or a haulage license etc then you can claim a deduction on the km rate.

You could set the rate at 2c per km or something and then you'll get EVs up to €200 for a standard 10,000km.

Advertisement