Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's amazing that several posters here were thinking Leinster by 15? Stunning complacency.

I think the best 2 sides made the final, both vastly better than the rest of the last 8. Racing 92 could possibly have beat Leinster today, but for me, the top teams made it.

La Rochelle are now a team with pedigree. I thought they'd win last year. ROG has done well. He's one of 2 or 3 Munster lads to achieve amazing things recently. Felix Jones and Donncha Ryan. Fair play to them. ROG could be a good shout for the next Ireland coach. But, knowing us, Friend will probably be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It's such a shame, because he's so good at developing a squad of 40+ players so they can all slot in and help the team produce 8 out of 10 performances, which is an unusual ability in a coach. People talk about Leinster's strength-in-depth, but I bet it wouldn't be nearly so evident with another coach in charge. And he's also a lot better than his predecessors. This is true both at Leinster, where he oversaw vast improvements compared to O'Connor and Cullen, and at England, where he got them out of the rut they'd been in since they won the RWC.

It's just producing that 9 out of 10 performance when it matters against the single best other team in their sphere that seems to be the issue. Even the much maligned Martin Johnson won a 6N. League finals they've done the job in, but you could put that down to them being so far ahead of the other sides in that competition. If Leinster didn't win the league every season people would be asking questions. Only the 2021 final against Ulster (27-5) was a dominant victory. Games against Scarlets (40-32) and Glasgow (18-15) were quite close, and they misfired against Munster last season (16-6).

I always thought the Lancaster approach was to throw so much good stuff at the opposition that enough of it sticks, but perhaps without the precision of some other teams. But even that lack of precision had been ironed out, I thought - perhaps due to Sexton's demanding nature. I'm left wondering where Leinster go from here. I suppose we'll see what kind of difference Contepomi's replacement makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Scarlets game was close only in terms of the scoreline, two late tries put a better spin on things for the Scarlets, but let's be honest, we **** hockeyed them that game.

Munster last season was, to a lesser degree, a comprehensive win just not borne out on the scoreboard.

This is not Lancasters fault. He prepares the team as well as he can, but he's not playing. The errors are on the players. Leinster were favorites and people had dismissed La Rochelle. Same as last year. Credit must be given to LA Rochelle. They deserved this. We didn't land a blow. We didn't threaten thir line and we couldn't get on top up front.

O' Gara should be commended. He got a big strong side over the hurdle and the fitness level of the French was impressive. I think we were "deer in the headlights" yesterday. Very off in our play. Asking where do we go from here, we just regroup and have another go next year. Our talent is brilliant. We are shy in key positions but, I'd rather lose with an almost full homegrown team than win wimultiple imports. Leinster are developing quality players year upon year. This was a poor result and a poor performance, bearing in mind that we were winning until the 78th minute.

I don't think we're in a bad place!

• Advertisement

I feel Leinster didn't really throw anything unexpected at La Rochelle. Had they shown their hand too much in the preceding matches? Their defence knew exactly what was coming and they were able to get up into the passing channels. And then Leinster's flow was broken up by their excellent work on the deck. And, conversely, Leinster didn't seem to be able to stop La Rochelle getting the ball wide.

I think McCarthy should have been on much earlier. In hindsight maybe he should even have started.

I suppose we all go back to out pre-conceived notions when looking for answers. Personally, I can't help wondering if Josh Murphy at blindside would have cleared out rucks better, leading to cleaner ball for JGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TeamOfMe

It's hard when African 300 or 400 lb props are running at 120-150 lb defenders.

Gorillas against chimps; men against boys.

Eventually even the most basic tactics will yield a 4-pointer. The toll has to tell.

Leinster have to make their players bigger and bulkier to compete in top-tier matches. The question is how do you do that in a rugby context...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Lancaster is an excellent fit for Leinster. He's brilliant at bringing through young players and that suits the Leinster set up.

But we do have to acknowledge the underperforming on the big stage. We sent a team out with a mindset of "don't make mistakes" as opposed to go and "win" it's a bit hindsight 20:20 and normally you think take the 3's keep score board ticking over but Leinster normally decide to turn the screw and go for a try at some point. 5 points up, team out on their feet, they were delighted we kicked 3 more instead of hammering home the advantage.

Question has to be asked why we diverted from what we normally do and the answer is pressure of a final.

• 400lb prop? Please point out a player that was 28 and a half stone please?

120lb defender? Please point out a player that was under 9 stone please?

4 pointer? A try has been worth 5 points since 1992/1993

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TeamOfMe

Winnie Antonio would be up around 25 stone.

Luke McGrath and Jamison Gibson-Park would be about 10 stone.

As a point of comparison, Pudzianowski won by KO last night in KSW. 265 lbs vs a 225 lbs opponent. In these brutal slug-fest, being out-sized is going to end badly.

There's no sense in hand wringing or blaming Barnes. What happened was simply, that on the day, Leinster were below standard and were sloppy. There's no point of pointing fingers as it was a team effort that most lads didn't rise up to the challenge.

Outside of Ryan and VDF, no Leinster player really played well. Those 2 played really well and put themselves about.

J.O.B is a good player. He's not a top level winger. I wonder if Larmour would have done better?

• Antonio is around the 25 stone mark which is around 350lb, big difference between 25 st and 28 & a half st.

Gibson-Park's weight is listed as 80kg (12 and a half st or thereabouts ) and McGrath at 84kg (13st 3lb).

It's a bit OTT comparing the weight of the heaviest member of one squad with the lighted member of another.

Going by what I can find online, the starting Leinster pack was just over 896kg, the starting La Rochelle pack was 929kg. 2st a man heavier on average in favour of La Rochelle.

Leinster's starting 15 was 1546kg where La Rochelle's was 1553. 1lb heaver per man on average in favour of Leinster.

Leinster's matchday 23 tipped the scales at a combined 2407kg where La Rochelle weighed in at 2382kg. 2.3lb heavier per man on average in favour of Leinster.

La Rochelle's average weight over the 23 man squad was 103kg, Leinster's was 104.6kg.

La Rochelle's average is seriously boosted by 3 freaks in the squad (Skelton 140kg, Antonio 162kg and Sclavi 135kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rewatched the game because I'm a masochist. Overall, La Rochelle deserved to win. They took their scores well and upped the pressure in the final ten minutes to the point where Leinster couldn't hang on.

That being said, this was a huge missed opportunity for Leinster. They weren't overpowered by La Rochelle in phase play and their advantage at the scrum was negated by Leinsters excellent lineout mauling. I've seen some posts online about Leinster being dominated up front. That's just not the case.

The defeat came from Leinster being unable to implement their attacking plan. La Rochelle contested the rucks and made things more difficult, but Leinster clearly had that scouted and committed an extra cleaner to secure the ball.

The biggest issue that I can see was we just took the wrong options in attack. The pass was a bit inaccurate, hitting the shoulder rather than being in front of the carrier. Or their were just simple handling errors leading to knock ons. It felt like Leinster were anticipating a big hit in contact and bracing themselves for impact which didn't actually arrive. Everything in attack was too rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Outside of vdf, I thought ringrose and henshaw had good games.

I was one of those who thought leinster would win by 15, pulling away in the last 20 with their big units tiring out. I certainly wouldn't have predicted that the last 20 minutes would be in the wrong 22. At half time I was still confident enough, assuming a few kicks up the hole would be delivered by the coaches. But LaR came out swinging.

Simply beaten by a better, more motivated team on the day. Barnes was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

we lost but even though we had an off day it was very close. It’s a very young side and will be better next season. Leinster and Ireland need to employ a scrum guru as it is killing us

Going to take a long time to get over this defeat. Biggest sickener is how La Rochelle scored their winning try.

Ringrose 100% had the scorer covered, but the carrier slipped before making contact and scuttled under the tackle. Such a spawny way to lose the game. And utterly deflating for Ringrose. Nothing anyone could have done.

"I knew defensively the way we'd set up we wouldn't really let them play..." - O'Gara

One try scored and five conceded in the three finals Leinster have made over the last five tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

THATS LEINSTERTAINMENT

Nothing much else can be said about the final I think. We could have won and probably would have if we had a lucky break or two.

I hope the players can regather themselves mentally and physically as we've another huge game next Saturday. I'd hate for them to finish the season without any silverware as they deserve something from the season.

No idea what sort of team to expect for Glasgow. A lot of the forwards will need to be rotated out as they took part in a hugely intense final. But we need to see some sort of continuity elsewhere. Would probably select the same backline sans Sexton and Lowe. The former took a knock and I think the latter was clearly unfit for the final anyway.

I'm not even sure we can afford to field this pack against Glasgow. They shithoused their way to victory against us last season at the RDS and I feel like we need a strong 1-8 to combat them. But those lads must be shattered.

Healy

Sheehan

Ala'alatoa

McCarthy

Baird?

Ruddock

Penny

Deegan

JGP

Byrne

Henshaw

Ringrose

Larmour

JOB

Keenan

Post edited by Clegg on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We need bigger locks. Porter is having teething issues as he's only been playing LH for a number of months, and Furlong is not a weak scrummager. He wouldn't have started 6 consecutive Lions tests if he was. I don't think our props are the issue, most clubs would kill for our front row.

Our problem is both our locks are <115kgs, which is just too small. You look at the teams who've won the tournament the last few years, they've all had a Skelton, Tekori or Jonny Hill. All proper 125+kg tighthead locks, adding power to an already massive front row. James Ryan is a good player but he's not a tighthead lock. You want one of him or Molony in the team, not both.

Hopefully we can improve Jenkins and he can fill that hole for us. And hopefully McCarthy can put on a bit more size and develop into that player too. But Molony+Ryan just isn't going to do it.

This isn't Super Rugby. You can't just skill your way to victory. It's European Cup Rugby, size bloody well matters.

McCarthy put on more size? He's already 119/120kg at 6'6''

Can't understand how they're letting one of their biggest locks in Jack Dunne go. Yes, McCarthy looks better than him, but what if McCarthy is unavailable? Or you could fit both of them in the XXIII.

I suppose Jenkins replaces Dunne for however long his contract is, but will Leinster be allowed to keep him on beyond that if they want to?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno, I am not convinced Leinster will be better next season.

I think this was realistically Sexton's last proper go at it.

Lads! It's a cruel game, we kick our heels and look towards Glasgow. No sense in looking back at this one. We lost to a better team.

Anyway, it's a long season and I reckon Kelleher is probably done. He should be rested and given time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wonder at times if we'd be stronger for breaking the Henshaw/ ringrose axis. They're both good players, great even on their day, but I've never been convinced they're a great combo.

With the issues we were having with the rush defense, I wonder if a player like Frawley wouldn't have added an element that could've unlocked them

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the Leinster thread, so imagine me whispering this quietly...

Ringrose is defensively rock solid, like unquestionably so. But IMO Frawley Henshaw would be a more exciting option in attack. Henshaw is better at 13 than 12, and Frawley is great at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Still raging we lost that. Hopefully the anger drives the players on to win it next season. The match thread really bringing out the bottom feeders

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Good call but Dropping the Blackrock golden child is not allowed, Dublin Media would lose the rag. All the Leinster fans are now saying ross byrne isnt up to this standard and is a URC standard player, but will be calling for him to be included on the NZ tour next lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The signing of an nz 12 can only mean frawley moves to 10 next season. Anything else means the transfer makes no sense.

We have henshaw/ringrose backed up by frawley/osbourne where does he fit if it's not to move frawley to 10

Advertisement