Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 21-05-2022 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a van converted to a camper and I would appreciate some help/advice.

I am considering getting a LWB high roof van, which make/model (s) would be best? Are any of the panel vans wide enough to accommodate a traverse bed?

The layout I'm thinking of would be traverse bed over a garage/storage area, a shower/toilet as sizeable as space would allow, cooking facilities, on the subject of which would gas be the way to go or is there a better alternative?

A friend got a race van done by https://www.pathfinderscamperconversions.com/ and it seems to be a good job though it's far from a camper as it's basic enough, has anyone came accross a full camper conversion or had work done by them?

All help/advice welcome and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think a Fiat Decato is wide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

A Mercedes Sprinter is the goto vehicle, VW Crafter is a slightly cheaper version of the same but not quite as good overall.

Then there is the Renault Master and its variants, though I don't personally trust their engines unless you go for the Nissan engine on the Nissan version.

Fiat Ducato's are supposedly excellent - but there are few available second hand in Ireland.

A very fresh Ford Transit is worth considering - but even fresh ones can have rust issues - I would be looking to get a full underbody seal done at the earliest opportunity to preserve my investment.

Gas is the only really practical fuel for a camper - but save yourself a lot of headaches by ponying up for a gas fitter to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭IBrows89

I have an Iveco Daily High roof Long wheel base and we have a permanent traverse bed at the back above a garage/storage area. The double bed fitted myself and my wife (both about 5ft9) for 4 weeks around or trip to Europe.

We even had enough room to fit an extra two seats in behind where the driver sits and still have room for everything.

The usual cooking method is gas but you have to make sure the bottle is stored properly and hooked up correctly as insurance and revenue will request this when converting.

We haven't had any work done by convertors but I had called some last year to see if they could do a few bits and pieces but they said they are only working on full conversions currently so it seems that you either have to do everything with them or do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

What makes the Sprinter better than the Crafter? I seem to recall reading somewhere a few years ago the Crafter was less prone to bodywork rust issues??

I have my eye on a Transit Jumbo and a Ducato, what are they like for reliability?

Would a Peugeot Boxer be work looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

I haven't seen many Crafters without some panel rust. Its just stupid that VW managed to build T4 transporters over 20years ago which were virtually immune to panel rust - and now almost every Crafter you see is pocked with panel rust after a few years. They also managed to turn some of the most reliable engines into some of the least reliable. i personally wouldn't touch a modern VW with a barge pole - but thats just me.

From what people say the Transit is mechanically very reliable, but they tend to develop significant rust problems after a certain point. The panels are all so flimsy these days that rust is a massive problem to rectify. If you can find a clean one I think they should be OK but as I said - I would be looking to do a full body underseal before doing anything else. i was told that they finally started zinc coating them a while back but they were about the last company to do this as standard.

Boxer is essentially a rebadged Renault Master with the same issues. I was seriously considering getting one myself last year as they seemed to be one of the better base vans - but the more i dug into it the more concerned I got about the reliability of the engines. They are chain driven but I kept hearing people saying that the chain had snapped after they went for a DOE test. I had assumed that Chains were for life and in most cases they are. However the chain on the Renault engines are flimsy affairs with service lifes no longer than timing belts. They also run on teflon like tensioners which just don't look reliable, and finally they seem to eat through sprockets which need changing at every chain change.This all makes regular chain replacement essential and very expensive. i personally know of a person who had a chain snap in one of these. Nissan do the YD engine for their version of the Master and these are reputedly the pick of the engines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement