Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

We're been mocked for narrowly missing out on a quadruple. I'm sure the majority here remember the dark days. Incredibly proud of Klopp and the boys. We'll go again. YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's a hilarious post coming from a United fan given the season they had!

Desperately trying to get a dig in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All you need to reply to this post with is a big LOL would rather win 2 cups further cementing number 1 team in England trophy wish along with finishing 2nd in the league and be a man of the match goal keeping performance away winning the Champions League. Than finishing 6th 35 points off top spot. I know what team had the better season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Its hilarious, Liverpool finishing 2nd on 92 points and losing a Champions League final is the things UTD fans celebrate these days such is the pathetic mess their club has been for close to a decade now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It sucks today for sure but, in fairness, were I in their position, I'd be doing the exact same thing. Just have to suck it up unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

If Trent just stays in line with Konate, then it's offside and no goal. It's a poor mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The relief from rivals is palpable.

As you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't think I ever got in UTD fans faces when they lost any those Barca Champions League finals because we're such an embarrassing mess during that period. And plus it was something I never generally take part in as a fan anway.

It's human.

Bask in others' failings so you can distract yourself from your own.

A tale as old as time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The "Always the Victims" meme is getting a strong airing on twitter today.

• Advertisement

Bottom line for me.

Obviously disappointing. Played fine. Ran into a couple of absolute elite performances.

It can happen.

A thoroughly enjoyable season overall. There'll be more trophies in the next four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree, that performance in the main was fine and Courtois was outstanding, but, no guarantee of more silverware in the next 4 years, need to win when opportunity is there, we have let a few slip now at this stage. CL will always be difficult to win, Real won't go away, plus you'd expect both City and PSG to make the breakthrough in next few years too.

Whether we like it or not domestically City will be difficult to overcome in the league, hopefully Pep leaves in next year or two to give us a better chance. Domestic cups offer best opportunity, but, probably won't be a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Still can't get over that performance lastnight, keeper had a great game, thought keita was poor, midfield needs a bit of work, need someone a bit more dynamic who can take on a player, hendo doesn't have legs for it anymore I think.

Thought mane was poor also with his link up play. Wonder what his decision will be.

Squad improvement will be massive for next season to allow for rotation for a compact season but would not be surprised to see one of the domestic cups played by under 23's.

Trent moment of lapse in concentration for goal but don't blame him, also no issues with the medal been taken off, shows he wants to win and his mentality, surprised a few more didn't do it.

Wishlist for summer

RB cover

New number 9/natural CF

2 midfielders

Think if we get these covered with a few fringe outs will be a fantastic window especially with 5 subs next season.

I believe Klopp when he said book the hotel, man looked so driven lastnight to succeed. Not the finish we wanted but a fantastic season none the less! YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

In terms of Utd fans I have found the older Utd supporters have far more sense and generally don't go that far with the banter. It's the Utd fans from the 90's and 00's that seem to have an irrational hatred of Liverpool, even though Liverpool weren't successful during the period they started supporting Utd and so any banter going their way would have been minimal. I have a good friend that is in the latter category. He doesn't hide the fact he has a deep hatred for Liverpool, is even deliberate in his use of the word hate. I have pulled him up on it numerous times as to why and he has never provided a good reason other than to mumble something about traditional rivals. There is no respect there at all, whereas with the older Utd fans I know, there is that respect.

It is not confined to Utd though. We had some of our own contributors acting similarly towards Everton for eg. when the possibilty of their relegation was strong. Something I didn't understand either.

Even though I liked the way they played football, I didn’t like MU when SAF was in charge and got great joy when we used to occasionally beat them with an inferior team. I was pretty happy when Barca beat them in two CL finals, so I am not bothered by some United fans reaction to the last week, it’s expected from our biggest rivals.

I saw on the Utd thread that Klopp must be thanking his lucky stars he played Spurs in the final, but he could have been luckier if it was United.

Regarding Everton, yah some of the posts on here were strange, some even idiotic (that a club in danger of relegation would miss a penalty on purpose to stop us winning), hoping they would be relegated is worse than anything United fans are posting at the moment. So every club has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Come on. It was a stupid question. In such a moment if you are going to ask such a pointless question, don't ask one at all.

Regarding United fans I find them hilarious. A great source of entertainment. I am looking forward to the best United 11 team with 7 players that arn't even United players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A sad last week to a magnificent season as a whole.

Now onwards and upwards and oh yeah back to playing the kids in the domestic cups please now that we have won them.

I think you have to allow for the person asking the question. I remember Bastien Swiennstieger (sic) being asked by a reporter at a press conference if he thought he could win the World Cup with Chicago Fire. The yanks don’t know much about football and are used to asking knucklehead questions to their own sports people. It has been shown a few times on SS, he is clearly irritated by the question and snaps at her. Understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There is a lot of confirmation bias in the critisism of Trent for the goal. He was flagged as a weakness all week, and pundits are looking to back that up when analysing the goal.

He could have done better, and hadn't a great game, but the whole left side of our defence was wide open, you could have landed a plane there, Robbo nowhere to be seen, and Valverde? all the time in the world to pick his pass.

The whole defence was at fault for the goal.

Anyway, doesn't feel a lot better this morning, feel sorry for the guys after a great season to fall short at the very end. It's easy to second guess, I thought Bobby did well when he came on, and I thought during the week he almost ought to start or at least played a bigger part then the last 10 minutes, but that's with hindsight. I'm kinda fearing teams are copping on a bit to Diaz and he was pretty ineffective in the main.

Be interesting in the next few weeks to see how the squad changes. I'd expect a few comings and goings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

See kroos losing the head with a journalist too, don't see much comment on it though wonder why 🙈

He is human and has just lost a champions league final. He has spent 6 or 7 minutes explaining that his team has played ok , created more chances than the opposition but the only stat that matters is that madrid scored 1 we scored none. Then she comes along and asks why did you lose? She didn't ask was there anything tactically that madrid did and liverpool didnt do or vice versa that swung the game in their favour. Im sure if she asked him today the same question he would compose himself and let her down more gently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

dunno bout ye lads,but im exhausted after that season.....

in pub last ngt,utd fans singing glory glory man utd at full time,grown men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Yep and hopefully Paris never gets an opportunity to host another major European football event again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Ugh. Stupid. Football

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No point in being stupid unless you prove it.

It's all banter.

Not sure I'd be singing YNWA if they lost night though.

That's kinda sad really.

Imagine how tired, physically and mentally the players and staff are!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Effing love this team! So proud of the boys! I can finally breathe after one hell of a season! We go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Liverpool have another epic season while Utd are an embarrassing mess of a club.

Every Utd 'fan' I know who grew up on Fregie's success are now too weak to support their team now and pretend to have lost interest in football.

Even their own players don't respect their fans.

Even their own players Every Utd fan I know pretends not to follow football any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I have seen a few mention Keita not being great, he came on in the 77th minute in a game where neither Henderson or Thiago was outstanding as Real made it difficult for all our players. They played even deeper as they were in the lead as well. Sure he fired way wide and should have done better, but so did Henderson and Thiago's shot was easy to save. We were nullified by Madrid but even with that they needed Courtois to be great to beat us. I thought his pressing was quite good and he broke up quite a lot of play for the time he was on and pushed forward.

No killer pass or equalising goal, I guess that is what people were expecting/hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Leaving aside last nights performance, he's been a thoroughly disappointing signing. With one year left on his contract I'd be inclined to sell him and recoup some of that large transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Obviously last night and last Sunday were tough days to be a Liverpool supporter, but it’s worth remembering just how enjoyable this season has been and how many great weekends we’ve had in terms of victories and cup final successes.

They were two hard days of course, but it certainly doesn’t wipe away the highs of the season. The destination might have been fairly sh*te, but the journey was first class. Little consolation, I know, but we can all only hope for another journey like that next season, maybe with a different end result.

Have a feeling there’ll be a new signing or contract renewal announced in the coming days, FSG are usually pretty good like that in moving on swiftly from disappointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I just need to figure out where Trents leg is that everyone keeps talking about, as I don't see it.

3 finals, 330 minutes of football, and not a single goal scored. Seems impossible with such forwards on the pitch. I expected some goals from us last night. Were they really extraordinary saves, not sure, he seemed to be well on top of everything, whole hand saves.

Mane's shot early in game was a key moment, needed to go in off the post, we would have pushed on from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

A sad day got sadder,a epic player who gave us everything ,he leaves a legend imo.

Dam. I thought his comment about "giving best answer you want to hear" indicated that he would probably stay. Obviously lost in translation. Big loss. Probably hasn't come as a surprise for those behind scenes and hopefully we have some decent replacement lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Chap won everything there is to win and can move on to his next challenge.

Would have been a disaster 2 years ago but we've got Jota and Diaz there to slot in.

€30m-€40m is what we will get for him by all accounts.

A good wage and a few league titles with Munich is not a bad way to go after Liverpool.

He has been a great player for us. A Liverpool legend . Sorry to see him go if its true. No one player is bigger than the team and I'd trust Klopp to improve one of the lads we have to replace him or Unearth another Rough Diamond

The 100k a week from Liverpool finally caught up with us, shocking wage for one of the top 5 players in the Premier League

He'll get his 300k a week, and no better man deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd be disappointed with the transfer fee mentioned above.

Jota's goals have dried up and Diaz/Bobby's end product is no where near as good so leaves us with a big problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Incentivised wage structure.

If you average out his wages to include Win, Appearance, Assist, Goals, Trophies etc I'm sure 100k is a lower figure.

Jota now needs to move back into the middle now and be the center forward with Mane gone.

Jota was the one effected most by the arrive of Diaz as Mane moved into the middle while Diaz took over on the left and Jota was dropped to the sub role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, I thought the same - seems almost impossible for us not to score anything across 330 mins. Even Brentford put 4 past Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in April. Chelsea and City both scored plenty against Madrid, and you'd certainly expect us to out-do Chelsea's forwards. Pretty disappointing all truth being told, when it really mattered the forward line didn't really show up.

But you see a fraud like Grealish on 300k, and City pay massive bonuses on top also for winning titles, games, ect. So the players on 300k, still get the bonuses you speak of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

The mane thing is weird the news everyone wanted to hear was he was leaving? Wtf. He gave us his all in fairness and wish him the best but with him going and Salah most likely going next year we need a rebuild of attackers asap. Things just stopped clicking for us about a month ago and never came back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Keita was on a hiding to nothing last night. If he was going to influence the game then he should have started or been introduced at half time. Bringing him on late in the game, 1-0 down against players who fall over if they feel a breath of air was playing into Real Madrid's hands. Our play was pedestrian paced by our standards and that suited Madrid, the lapse of concentration at the end of the first half was a warning that we got away with.

The front three didn't look sharp, their reaction times were off slightly and that was significant. It was a long season and the team have been amazing but there had been too many minutes on the pitch for most of those bodies to deliver a performance that their season deserved.

It wasn't a coincidence that Konate had a monster performance relative to the players around him, he had played around 64% of the minutes they had this season.

• Robertson : 47 games; 4003 minutes
    • Van Dijk : 51 games; 4620 minutes
    • Konate : 29 games; 2487 minutes
    • Alexander-Arnold : 47 games; 4234 minutes
    • Henderson : 57 games; 3876 minutes
    • Thiago : 39 games; 2386 minutes
    • Fabinho : 48 games; 3693 minutes
    • Diaz : 54 games; 3963 minutes
    • Mane : 51 games; 3938 minutes
    • Salah : 51 games; 4014 minutes

The Mentality Monsters are not machines and the drop off in minutes played between the recognised first eleven and the rest of the squad is staggering.

• Matip : 43 games; 3705 minutes
    • Jota : 55 games; 3572 minutes
    • Keita : 40 games; 2086 minutes
    • Firmino : 35 games; 1804 minutes
    • Tsimikas : 26 games; 1712 minutes
    • Jones : 27 games; 1530 minutes
    • Oxlade-Chamerlain : 29 games; 1526 minutes
    • Milner : 39 games; 1371 minutes
    • Gomez : 21 games; 1036 minutes
    • Minamino : 24 games; 1008 minutes
    • Elliott : 13 games; 675 minutes

Jones, Milner, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain could be replaced by two players considering Henderson and Thiago played almost the same number of combined minutes as those four.

Playing for Liverpool, and Klopp is mentally draining, even as a fan, so I can understand when someone like Mane is like '' I want off this roller-coaster of emotion'' the mental aspect of it is massive, especially when you can go to PSG, Bayern, Real, ect, and be winning without the absolute 100% physical and mental input on a daily basic. You can enjoy the ride at clubs like that, take in the scenery if you will as you don't need to be perfect 24/7 just to get ahead.

At Bayern? Unlikely. Deserves a big contract undoubtedly.

• Advertisement

Poor comparison unles you think Mane is going to get that kinda money with Bayern.

He won't.

Advertisement