Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFFICIAL Buildup Thread - Leinster vs Stade Rochelais Champions Cup Final 28/05/2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Thanks for calling out the hypocrisy of some of the Leinster posters in these very forums. The Munster thread is pretty empty these days because of these bolloxes spreading their gloating hubris everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I mean, I remember leinster being pretty dire in Bilbao and we won that game. To be fair. I don't think I've watched it back so maybe we weren't as bad as I remember. But I do back myself to accurately rate performances regardless of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't think so. Unfortunately, Leinster were thought to have a full deck of cards. Anything can happen on match day. The fact that they were heavily favored and most thought, like last year, that a win was almost guaranteed.

It's not that Leinster were obliterated or murdered, it's more like they shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. That's what will stick in my mind.

In saying that, La Rochelle are deserving Champs. They gutted it out and played well, well enough to win. Sometimes, the best laid plans don't work and **** flows uphill. Barnes is getting a lot of negative feedback for his part but, Leinster didn't grab the game by the balls and petered out as it went on. I wouldn't expect any ref to be 100% or would I say he cost us the match. Leinster lost this one as much as La Rochelle won it. It was different from last season, where I thought La Rochelle were more physical and dominant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see a lot of mental gymnastics is going on in here to justify some peoples behaviour. Should have expected it as it's the norm on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I disagree that this was a ROG masterclass. Even in the first half Leinster were inaccurate and sloppy with their back play, got very narrow at times and failed to contest their kicks (something they did really well against Toulouse).

At 18-10 up and a LAR man in the bin, they really should have kicked on. Johnny kicks that failed drop goal to halfway and it's probably a different outcome. They were just off 10% today and that was enough for LAR to edge it. I just hope this "beaten up by bigger teams" narrative isn't perpetuated as that wasn't the case today.

Fair play to ROG and La Rochelle, worthy champions.

Final next year in the Aviva... Johnny's swansong 👀

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure about Leinster making the final next year. Since the Leicester QF we've had a full strength 15 out on the pitch for the knockouts. In rugby it's becoming rarer that you can actually have that continuity in selection. Can't expect that all the time.

Leinsters attacking strategy, which blew through every side, was figured out by La Rochelle. They flooded the channel of the second receiver and made that players decision harder to execute. It's why we saw far more one out carries yesterday than in the SF. Expect more sides to do that going forward. They may not have the bulk of La Rochelle to stop Leinster on the gain line, so it'll be harder to implement, but it's a workable strategy.

I just think this loss really puts it into the Leinster mindset that they're not cut out to win big finals. In the defeats to Saracens in the past and to La Rochelle last season, Sexton and others have spoken about Leinster retreating into themselves and not executing their attacking strategy. They spoke about having to keep their heads and also developing their new way of playing in order to keep away from a slugfest. It still happened anyway yesterday. That must be mentally devastating.

Leinster are a very good side. Top 3 in Europe and have been for years. Unfortunately, they keep falling at the most pivotal hurdle. I don't see how you can overcome that.

On a more positive mindset, we've some excellent young players coming through. I think Joe McCarthy and Jamie Osborne will be regulars in the Ireland 23 in a few years time. The core of the pack will still be there and they're all still very good players. They'll also be supplemented by the promising youth coming through as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭abff

You’re right. I do.

Just a final word on the subject. Leinster fans who go out of their way to taunt Munster fans and who support foreign teams against Munster are just as bad as the Munster fans I’ve been complaining about. I just feel that we Irish need to stick together, but I know there’s a lot of tribalism around sport and I guess it’s an aspect of the game that I’m just going to have to learn to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's bizarre to be honest, Leinster rugby and fans aren't entitled to support from anyone. To many Irish people Leinster rugby represents private schools in south Dublin and little else, nobody should feel obliged to support them and judging from the reception from other provincial supporters I think very few did.

It seems such Leinster specific exceptionalism, always looking for the pat on the back. I really can't imagine an Ulster fan caring about what some lads down in Kerry think about their team.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

See I think fans of other Irish teams coming in here celebrating another Irish team losing to a French side and gloating about it as if it was their own sh*tbox of a team that had won is bizarre.

It's petty, pathetic and only confirms that team's place in the pecking order.

As I've always said, support whoever you want, but when you try to rub it in other peoples faces when your own team are nowhere near the final then it's going to be called out for what it is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The irony of that is that nasty arrogant and condescending views such as yours are the exact reason you'll see such a reaction in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Leinster aren't entitled to supporters. And anyways, where does this supposed support end? Should Munster fans be supporting Leinster in the URC? Should Munster be wanting Leinster to win a URC semi final when they're in the other semi?

Look, I get it, ye lost and seeing people happy about it is very annoying. But that's sport and if you can't take it, then maybe it's best you stay away from it. Just like when Man Utd lost to Villareal last year I stayed away from twitter as the memes were in overload.

That's part and parcel of sport. When England get knocked out of the World Cup Irish people laugh. When Mayo lose to Dublin, Galway people make jokes about Mayo. Accept it. The whole "You should be supporting Leinster!......Munster are sh!t!" just makes you look bad.

I have no doubt the report button was being smashed yesterday too...

To the brave and the faithful nothing is impossible.

Except humility

No they're not entitled to supporters.

Just like supporters who cheer on a French team for the single reason of watching an Irish team lose aren't entltled to do so without challenging.

People here talking about Leinster fans being bad losers etc when all they're doing is calling out sad and pathetic posting for what it is.

And those doing the gloating are the ones creating narratives so they can be perceived as being victims.

Have at it, do whatever you want, but don't be pretending to get offended when someone calls you out over it.

Point out one element of my post that is wrong?

None of those gloating give a sh*t about ROG. It's just an easy out for them to justify such sad, petty, smalltime nonsense.

Many posters here from other provinces happily post about being delighted for ROG while also not gloating like children.

How sad, challenging people on who they want to win or lose. Who are you to tell anyone who they cheer for or cheer against?

Just like supporters who cheer on a French team for the single reason of watching an Irish team lose aren't entltled to do so without challenging.

Sorry but I don't think anyone is under any requirement to state why they choose to want a team to win or lose. You think anyone who is happy with the result just wants an Irish team to lose and those are baseless claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's no obligation to cheer for other Irish teams. Of course not.

It's coming on to gloat about another team's defeat that marks one out as a pathetic cnut

The most ironic thing is that there were very few posts on this forum in the build up to the game talking about how Leinster were sure fire favourites to win. Most posters had worries about the game.

This whole argument started when the usual suspects came in to gloat about Leinster losing. They were called out over it and deflected by chatting shite about Leinster arrogance. Gaslighting in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

To be fair, I think this could be a good result for Irish rugby. It'll keep us grounded and stop us falling victim of our own hype as we've been guilty of doing previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've been told time is a healer, but I've waited at least 12 hours and it's still pretty gutting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’ve a lot of sympathy for Leinster; it must be sh*t losing a final in that manner.

But the problem with this argument is that, on one hand you’re claiming you’re taking the moral high ground and on the other you’re calling other teams “sh*tbox teams”.

You’re resorting to the exact type of behaviour you’re decrying.

• Advertisement

Barnes didn't have the best of games yesterday I think. Seemed to have set out his stall that other than instances of serious foul play or bad sportsmanship, he wasn't getting his cards out.

There's a lot of posts online about how Barnes favoured Leinster which doesn't actually make sense. La Rochelle repeatedly infringed in their own 22, received a final warning, did it again but weren't penalised with a card.

I don't mind it so much because it was 'fair' on both sides. But it leads to the usual bad faith arguements being pushed out post match.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Personally, if I supported a team who hadn't won a title in 14 years, watched as their biggest rivals racked up 1/3 of all titles since then and subsequently tried to live their dream through an ex player who left 10 years ago (an arguably wouldn't ever dream of coaching said team), I'd be a little more circumspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Thought Barnes was perfectly fine myself. Both teams should have had a yellow for repeated infringements. Was the same for both sides. Definitely contributed to Leinster struggling to find any rhythm especially in the first half. But we would have benefited if we managed to turn LAR over at the end. Small margins in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Unfortunately ROG winning the cup yesterday means he’ll unlikely ever coach Munster in his prime coaching years. Think he’ll be eyeing up an international role or another big French/English team with resources. Ironically Leinster would probably be the only provincial job that would give him the raw tools to keep competing at the top level of Europe. Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Barnes was quite good, himself and his TMO worked very well together and kept the game moving, I've seen a lot of Leinster fans say he had a bad game when really he left them off the hook in the last 10 minutes when they constantly infringed, there was 3 penalties in 1 phase of play on the line, this was after a few penalties and before 1/2 more and he never went towards the pocket.

He had a bad game which I referenced above. Just because he didn't card either team when it was merited doesn't mean he officiated well. It just means he ignored yellow card infringements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm from and a supporter of Connacht and I was shouting for Leinster and if Munster or Ulster were there I'd be shouting for them.

As regards the private Dublin schools, I don't think Ed Byrne, Tadgh Furlong, Jack Conan, Robbie Henshaw, Jimmy O'Brien and others would be impressed by those type of comments.

Tribalism doesn't belong in Rugby, go support soccer or GAA if you want that. Otherwise have a bit if respect for your rivals when you are not competing against them. I'm saying that to Leinster fans too by the way.

Somebody mentioned if you'd shout for Leinster in a semi-final if your team were in the other semi. That's a whole different thing and it's understandable in a situation like that. It's not when your team is out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

He didn't have a bad game at all, he was consistent and let the game flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

He let the game flow by allowing persistent infringement by LAR in the first half and then by Leinster in the last 10.

The game would have flowed better if he’d done his job properly in the first half and stopped LAR having a free for all at the ruck.

Advertisement