Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Would have been nice for him to leave with another CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

@Talisman I won't quote your full post but I think the minutes point is spot on.

There's a CBS podcast called the double pivot and they actually did a show a few days ago and directly compared the minutes played by Liverpool players to City players - City rotate a lot more than we do.

I can't see us playing strong teams at all in the domestic cups next year - the pep mentality of playing the squad players the whole way is the way to go - nice trophies to win but not if it's going to cost you at the business end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

2018, Liverpool lose the Champion's League Final to Real Madrid.

They win it the following year.

2019, Liverpool lose out on the Premier League by a point to Man City.

They win it the following year.

Next year I reckon we win the double. Get your money on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its daunting having to go into next season, City even stronger, we're losing a great player, doubts set in, belief fades, Origi, Mane, Minamino, Milner, Ox, Firmino, Gomez, Jones, all gone, or not good enough.Fábio Carvalho will have to hit the ground running.

But we need 4 other signings, that are ready to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

According to The Athletic is looks like Mane is going to ask to leave this Summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Who píssed on your cornflakes?

I am confident we will sign a few players, gems even given our recent history and hit the ground with a renewed and freshened up squad.

...doubts set in..... belief fades.... Christ that's fairly ridiculous.

Ah lads when are you all going to cop on all bornetobywilde has ever done on every single thread and forum he has posts on and in on boards for the last 10 years is make statements to wind up everyone that is it there is nothing more to him than that

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Absolutely gutted that Mane is leaving as I really thought he was saying after that interview. Saying he has a “special surprise” to reveal after CL final turns out to be he’s actually leaving is a horrible way to hint at his exit and almost trolling fans into thinking he was staying.

Having Salahs complicated contract situation in constantly being brought Over last few weeks already and having Mane going into the final last night knowing he’s leaving it’s about as from ideal as you can get in terms of preparation for such a huge game.

Absolutely One of favourite players and leaves a legend but I just don’t get that interview he gave. It’s a huge blow to lose him especially seeing City strengthening with Haaland. He has 2-3 years of top elite years left yet. We must be giving Salah the contract as we can’t lose both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Mane leaving that marks the end of Klopp's first great Liverpool team and now the building process that started with Jota, Konate & Daiz needs to continue on this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

This is the thing I find gas about that carry on - Utd fans dread Liverpool winning anything as they'll get a bit of slagging from their Liverpool-supporting mates etc, but that kind of non-sensical reaction to Liverpool losing is more slagging-worthy than anything else! I'd never stop slagging off a Utd supporting mate if he did that around me.

There was once a time when football fans didn't care about the result of any match if their own club wasn't directly affected by the result. A lot of people these days seem to 'not support' a certain club way more than they actually support their own club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd recommend everyone just take some time off.

No doubt Klopp has known about Mane's decision, and this is all carefully playing out.

We have to trust that the club knows what it's doing. Recruitment has been pretty much perfect for 5 years now, to the point where we're being pilloried for having the temerity to not complete a Quad, and get pipped by Real Madrid to the Champions League.

We need a break from the season that's been.

I'm confident we'll be ready to go come August 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So close to a Quad, it's a once in a career thing, you'd expect a lesser season next season. We're not linked with anyone as of yet, nothing of first team quality, Kane was a link, it would take something like that to really refresh us, a big signing.

That being said, I wouldn't say no to Gnabry or Sané if they're on offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Such a shame, he was fitting in nicely to that central role and I've loved to seen him there for a full season or two! Season is just barley over and us losing Mane and City signing Haaland has put us well on the back foot already for next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is there any possibility that the club might not be willing to let Mane go and want him to see out the last year of his contract?

I know it’s unlikely these days with player power being so prevalent, but the likes of Daniel Levy still decide to dig their heels in.

If Mane wants out, I do think he should be allowed to leave as he owes us absolutely nothing. He can leave as a Liverpool legend and with no bad feeling whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hard not to be a lesser season than win 2 cups, lose one final and be a goal away from the league.

Klopp will try to get who he wants, I'm sure he has a nice list. We are constantly linked with a serious number of players - and quite often sign someone else, so I wouldn't be bothered or worried about who we are and are not linked with in any way - the day after our last match.

I'd swap him for Davies 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I doubt the club will dig the heels in if that's what he really wants. It would be a bit disrespectful considering what he did for the club and he has obviously got an much better deal somewhere else and wants to seek another challenge. Could you imagine if your employer tried to do that to you. The Kane one was different as he had just commited to a 6 year contract and he then decided he didn't want anything to do with the club less than 12 months into it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't think the club will stand in his way, but they will want a good price.

That said I think he's our best player and will be very hard to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

The replacement element of the above is the interesting thing, maybe the club will ask him to stay until someone comes in. That could be amicable enough for both sides

I’d be sad to see him go, but he has more than earned the right to leave on his own terms

I think they will just have to take the best deal they can get for Mane and then reinvest it into a new forward player. Nunez maybe?

I wonder would they buy and out and out center forward and Klopp then goes back to the 4231 he had at BVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Mane will be a huge loss and difficult to replace, would have rathered he ran down his contract than go this summer. I wonder will they actually replace Mane or has his replacement already been signed; Diaz was signed earlier than planned because Spurs made a move for him. I think a replacement for Origi is more likely, someone that brings something different to the team and won't cost much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Mané might go but can't see it being €30m.

That's what we paid for Thiago with a year left on his contract and I'd value Mané much, much higher than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As for Mane’s replacement, you have to wonder which position it’ll be for. Do you replace him with a winger to compete with Diaz and Salah, or with a central player to compete with Jota?

For me, I’d go for the latter and see if we could land Nkunku. It’s a like-for-like replacement for Mane in his new role, but he can do a job out wide or as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 if needs be. To what level, I couldn’t say.

We’ll have to sign a wide player too though if that were the case, as Jota would be the only good backup for our wingers but even he’s best used through the middle.

Selling a versatile forward like Mane could be a serious headache for the team.

• Advertisement

If we're really serious, Nkunku will be the replacement.

But we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

What a season. Disappointing last night but no lack of effort. Well done to all the fans who had to endure such a shitshow from the police & stewards. Uefa won’t accept any responsibility though - they’d prefer to sell 80k corporate tickets if they could. Fans don’t matter.

we have a fantastic manager and squad of players who have given is massive enjoyment over 62 games - they deserve massive credit 👏🏻

I'd like to see us go for Nunez from Benfica, he looked like he can find the net at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Klopp will finally get Dembele I reckon

Darwin Nunez at the reported £50 would be a good signing for a 22 year with a very good goal scoring record.

It would also be a move that makes sense with Ward and Pep's links to Portugal.

Also reports in Portuagl yesterday that his move would be announed after the Champions League Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Looking at the pictures and videos of the parade, while I’m sure it was the last thing the players wanted to do when they woke up this morning, it looks like they’re enjoying it and was probably the best thing for them to do to wash out the disappointment of last night before they go their separate ways for the Summer.

• Advertisement

50 quid for nunez would be a smashing bit of business alright

It would be espcially if we get £35m for Mane from Munich.

I’m considering an €80 bid for the craic but I have no idea what I’d do with him. Can he do card tricks?

The old net spend chart will look great.

All joking aside, I think losing sadio is a way bigger loss than potentially losing Mo. Mo is a goal machine when he's on it, but Sadio is a better all round player IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I just don’t see us being in for Nunez if Mane leaves. Will have Jota & Firmino already centrally, if we go for Nunez that leaves us without any established cover on either side for Salah or DIaz. Jota unfortunately is not effective out wide so Carvalho/Elliot may take afew seasons of development.

Pace on flanks has always been the core of klopps attacking play so Nkunku/Dembele/ Gnarby/Sane type player makes a lot more sense.

Mane is currently one of best strikers in world football so will leave a huge void to fill. After results of last week to be hear he’s leaving is gutting but he’ll leave an absolute legend. His debut goal arsenal summed up his time here but I feel like we literally losing one of top 3 most important players afew seasons too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Obviously gutted to lose the Champions League final last night, and the league too, but all in all it's been a great season.

Winning every other game, scoring goals every game, fun times all throughout the season with great memories across the seaosn. The return of being able to go back to games. What it's all about. We were able to pick up a couple of trophies along the way too.

I have every faith that Klopp & the boys will challenge for them all again. And give us more reasons to celebrate.

Good to see the players enjoying themselves at the parade. Mood doesn’t seem to be too down. As disappointing as the last week was easy to forget that most seasons clubs don’t win anything so 2 trophies is nothing to be sniffy about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If winning 2 trophies is a bad season what do you say when you win none ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

Lads if Mane decides he is better off in Munich or whereever, you can be sure that Klopp and the team around him have a replacement lined up. Could be a case that Diaz was bought as just that, only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I'm pretty sure it's Ibou for short, not Ibra.

I'm so tired of coming up against Carlo Ancelotti in finals, for us he is the Pep of Europe. Always seems to be standing in our way of getting our hands on that European cup!

I mean, don't get me wrong here but while that Curtouis save from Salah was class I dont see it as being as good as everyone is saying. Take a look at it again, Curtouis barely moves an inch to save it, he effectively just didnt jump out of the way of it and saved it, the shot was basically str8 at him, Salah had another couple of feet to aim at to Curtouis' right side of the goal but ended up shooting almost str8 at him. I think his save from Mane was better personally, and that time he shuffled across the goal to stop Salah getting a tap in were far more impressive imo.

Nunez plays on the left and through the centre and importantly he can finish.

Gakpo being linked as well,

Seems to be a lot of options out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement