Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You still working on the list of restrictions Sweden brought in that I asked you for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why would I bother tbh reply to such a post ? Troll on .

So you can’t come up with a list that explains what you said? Ok, that’s all I wanted you to say.

So absolutely NOTHING like other countries lockdowns then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I can't read it for you. But seems from that they did somethings similarly.

Examples of why I would not reply to your posts !

Plenty of info already posted and freely available online , but needs someone who is willing to read it and try to make sense of it , which is putting it politely .

Goodbye now , won't be replying again to your rude posts .

You’re not replying because have nothing to reply with. The truth is Sweden had NOTHING like the restrictions other countries did so please stop implying that they did. Oh, and rude? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Clearly you're not reading what is being spoonfed to you, let me quote one of the passages, and note the use of the words "lockdown measures":

On 18 December 2020, Stefan Löfven, the prime minister of Sweden, announced new and tougher restrictions and recommendations including the use of face masks in public transportation and closure of all non-essential public services.[1] In January 2021, a new pandemic law was passed that allows for the use of lockdown measures and legally limited some gatherings.[2] Further measures were introduced in July and December 2021, such as vaccine passports.

You can now spin off into an argument of 1 about what lockdown measures mean, I'm sure others will find it funny to read.

The crux of this thread was that Sweden did sh*t in 2020 pre-vaccination and managed it better in 2021 post vaccination, I don't think anyone is arguing with their post vaccination approach.

However, there is a few arguing for their disastrous pre-vaccination approach who are ignoring all data and records and trying to obfuscate that with their post-vaccination approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

From your link:

They will specify among other things which face masks to use and at what times they should be used, and will be a recommendation only.

We still have the recommendation to wear masks in certain situations here in Ireland but we don't think of it as a restriction yet for some reason it was a restriction in Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tell those on the mask thread that it's not a restriction 😅 (and as usual I see only a single part of an entire article is being acknowledged).

Not replying cos I had asked you politely to stop rudely demanding links that you have no intention of reading .

Don't know what your definition of rude is but those posts and every other since to me and others are rude and frankly a bit aggressive .

Do not address me again , please .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No disrespect but I don't think it applies to both sides (obviously). And my views are rooted in facts and numbers. And if that makes me not so clever in some people's eyes so be it.

Actually I thought its now widely acknowledged that lockdowns were a mistake and and all the other micromanagement stuff a farce?

So I'm really not making cheap shots or anything just wondering - and trying to find explanations for - how some people are still in the doubling down business on all that.

We both know you can’t come up with a list. You called me a troll in your first reply to me so who is being rude and aggressive?

Reading this thread I can’t help wondering when the massive inquiry is going to happen in Sweden seeing as they apparently, deliberately murdered so many people. A lot of people on here seem to have a real chip on their shoulder about the fact that Sweden went their own way and didn’t go full hysterical like the rest of us. I wonder if this is the real problem they have and not the fake empathy for the people who died? Next time I’m over in Sweden I’ll be sure to let them know how outraged you all are on their behalf. The thing is, they won’t care.

They did have an inquiry, a commission and 800-page report.

People seem to be hard of reading in this thread.

If you want to go to Sweden they've lifted the travel restriction they didn't have....

"...The ban on entry to Sweden from countries outside the EU/EEA will not be extended and will cease to apply on 1 April 2022. This also means that the requirement to present vaccination and test certificates when entering Sweden will be removed."

https://www.tandfonline.com › pdf

Between lockdown and calm down. Comparing the COVID-19 responses of Norway and Sweden - Taylor & Francis Online

This article gives a very complete picture , written from both sides .

For those who need them , there are graphs showing the differences and effects on pages 14 and 15 .

Disappointed as thought your reference to cognitive dissonance was in respect to both extreme sides in the debate.

By using it in regard only to people whom who disagree with, makes it just another poster bashing post imo.

Your posts are usually pretty fair so I did wonder originally if you were using it to make people think rather than divide.

There are people on every side of the argument here, but the people that are "doubling down" are not the ones that are providing links and data to back up their comments.

That would be those.. who persist in shouting from the sidelines and verbally harassing others.

Lockdowns have not as you say been discrediited as a way of dealing with an out of control virus, just indiscriminate use, as in China for example.

But to counter this that Sweden did the right thing by not locking down at all in 2020 is not borne out by their data from that year.

Those that seek to obfuscate this by showing stats from the two years and not recognise the difference that restrictive measures made to their numbers are being disingenous... but at least they are providing data if selectively.

Vaccination allowed Sweden at that stage ( 2021) to control the situation better so they did not need to " lockdown" completely, but then most countries in Europe including ourselves did not need to lockdown hard like 2020 at that stage either.

They had a lot of cultural and demographic advantages so had they behaved like Norway in 2020 they would have probably come out with very low numbers like that country also (see the article linked above)

I don't expect everyone to agree on this, but at least read and engage in discussion without insulting people ( again not directing this at you personally btw, although the ppst I referred to originally is a sweeping generalisation and unhelpful)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I get that and I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't like attempts of rewriting history either. I mean you write Swedish lockdown in apostrophes but you write it all the same. When there was no such thing whatsoever. There were a few recommendations, an encouragement to keep numbers low in certain indoor settings, a few travel restrictions. But when I read from some here how Sweden abandoned their strategy and effectively did what everyone else did that is just an absolute falsification and an attempt of rewriting history.

The overwhelming fact that remains is that Sweden had no lockdowns, no closed hospitality or retail or entertainment or anything, no business closures, no mask mandates, the list goes on. The difference between Sweden and other European countries including ourselves was like the difference between day and night. And they 'did' just as well or as poorly as the most restrictive countries. One just cannot turn away from this. Our bones of 2 years of media induced perma panic has been exposed as a farce and there is no turning away from that either. And I strongly suspect that partly this is the reason why some people are so angry about Sweden. Sweden has provided that counter argument in the middle of Europe. It wasn't some 'faraway country that could be dismissed as 'nutcase' or 'you couldn't trust their numbers.

The only "rage" seems to be from those who spent 2 years in an imaginary isolation and hysteria that didn't exist even in Ireland.

If you spent your days mis-reading the junk media you've only your self to blame for that.

Fair enough , it wasn't lockdown . But you are wrong to say they had no restrictions .

They had wide ranging restrictions increasing from Autumn Winter 2021 and while there was no government wide lockdown with retail closures as per other EU countries , local municipal government made decisions to close schools and restrict businesses as well as other measures. All following a loss of trust in their health agency , with high community infection rates and deaths , the majority which were in that first year .

People were advised to work from home , numbers in gatherings were restricted , masks for travel and indoor environments, certs and testing , isolation if positive , all like other countries but crucially not in that first wave .

I get that you think we were too strict , but we managed to keep our excess deaths low and didn't become overwhelmed like some other wealthier countries did with more hospital beds and doctors than us . Far from doing poorly .

Do we have lessons to learn? Yes. We should learn by looking at what other countries did , the data on illness and deaths and vaccinations, and yes, even by the Swedish response .

What they did well was in reducing measures appropriately in 2021 in response to improvements in infection rates, hospitalisations and vaccination levels .

And the Swedes should and are doing the same ie . Learning from past mistakes and responses of other countries .

No country got this right 100% ...and that includes Sweden .

No need for all the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

How about you just compare Sweden to the rest of the countries in the world

Would it be because that would undermine your argument perhaps ?

They did great compared to Peru. Well done lads.

Happy now...

You've made some excellent posts here.

The reality is that Sweden was supposed to be a blood bath according to many.

But we're now scrambling to try find a graph that shows Sweden did a bit worse at 1 point then their neighbours....

So you're saying Sweden did worse.

If you cherry pick a country that suits the agenda and a very particular timeframe ;)

Looking at small data sets is not helpful though. Better to look over a long period of time and compare across the world.

• Advertisement

It's like someone picking ugly friends to hang out with so they look better.

Advertisement